Protestware an attack on software freedom

A tale of two github accounts:
github.com/Marak
Intentionally changed his software to protest lack of payment from corporations by printing a console message,
account access suspended.
github.com/RIAEvangelist
Intentionally changed his software to protest Ukraine war by destroying data on computers with Russian/Belarus IP addresses
plays drama queen on github issues with impunity despite committing several felonies in doing so

Free developers demanding money = bad
Developers destroying FOSS reputation = good

Does Brandon Nozaki Miller realize the pandora's box he has now opened? Russians will likely respond by sabotaging their open source code as well. This will escalate to the extent that no open source software of any kind will be considered trustworthy without expensive code audits. He will have single handedly destroyed FOSS, something Microsoft could not do for decades.

We are entering the dark ages of software. It is unironically over. This is only the beginning.

Attached: protestware.jpg (480x360, 25.05K)

>This will escalate to the extent that no open source software of any kind will be considered trustworthy
Just as keikaku doori.

it is all part of a script

It will just teach morons not to update automatically. Good for security in the long run

Stop calling it protestware and validating the point this faggot tried to make.
It was a malware attack, nothing more, nothing less.
Destroying or inconveniencing the lives of innocent bystanders has nothing to do with protest.
I know that's hard to understand for the average American who -to this day- still thinks "dropping nukes on civilians" has something to do with "war".

Attached: 1643120540960.gif (200x200, 2.47M)

>Intentionally changed his software to protest lack of payment from corporations
Based
>Intentionally changed his software to protest Ukraine war
Cringe

imagine all the cvs because nobody is updating anymore

Attached: 36b42f80-90e3-11ea-8d08-38eaa7374f3c.png (640x594, 283.92K)

This is an existential crisis for FOSS
Where is this man?
Why hasn't he made a statement on node-ipc?

Attached: richard-stallman.jpg (1366x768, 1010.02K)

If you're surprised that a service owned by Microsoft has these double standards, you're retarded. Stop using globohomo platforms.

Attached: mediaJews29.jpg (4500x4602, 3.88M)

Attached: 1647946446793.png (680x332, 168.36K)

translator note
According to Keikaku

>translator note
>According to Keikaku*

*keikaku means plan

The correct way to go about this is to wait for SOMEONE ELSE to get fucked by a potentially faulty or malicious update, THEN update if it has been fixed or has proven that it's not malicious. That's how I go about updating literally any of my devices. I don't get why some older folks are so adamant on telling us to always keep auto updates turned on when shit like this happens. I guess they're just sitting their ways

Attached: b5795150-a974-11ec-ad56-cd7b78ed313d (1).jpg (700x1280, 169.32K)

So is that guy still alive? Just asking.

Microsoft of course wants to demolish open source, so no shit they allow """""bad""""" things to happen to open source as PR moves. Their acquisition of Github was to extinguish open source over time.

Capitalism will make sure that nothing is free, nothing is open, everything is a consumable object or idea for a price. It has to find every nook and cranny to extend endless growth. It is a cancer.

so basically if i use slackware or debian stable, im good?
or do we resort to security by obscurity though openbsd?

>Destroying or inconveniencing the lives of innocent bystanders has nothing to do with protest.

>destroying
tell that to the 500 million dollars in property damage from "mostly peaceful" protests

>inconveniencing
all authentic, oppositional protests are inconvenient (to authority)
as a rule you want to make the protests selectively inconvenient to avoid pissing off the public while incurring enough ire from the powers that be to provoke them into excessive force, so as to posture as martyrs.

but this does not alter the fact that they are inconvenient to somebody.

>We are entering
OP doesn't know about Contributor Covenant. Has been like this for almost a decade now. Hell.

Hard to say, but debian should be ok as long as you stick to their main repositories (which you should anyways). Distros like Arch should be safe, too. Not sure about the AUR though.

This seems more like a problem for users of Ubuntu-based distros that use a lot of PPAs. Flatpaks, Snaps etc. could be easily compromised as well, if they're not supplied by trusted sources.

Attached: stallman.jpg (219x320, 24.63K)

i use arch by the way so I'm good, however I do have some AUR programs that might be a problem.

He looks like a white techlead

Attached: Ex-Facebook-engineer-Patrick-Shyu-makes-fun-of-company-on-YouTube.jpg (2241x1261, 145.48K)