/hsg/ - Home Server General

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server

>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense/pfsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud to replace Googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Why should I have a home server?
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your Any Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.

>Links & resources
Server tips: anonbin.io/?1759c178f98f6135#CzLuPx4s2P7zuExQBVv5XeDkzQSDeVkZMWVhuecemeN6
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E

Previous:

Attached: nerd_computer_repair.jpg (555x415, 35.47K)

Gore pic as said. How do I put this all into one box?

Attached: IMG_20220321_232042.jpg (4032x3024, 842.48K)

like this

Attached: patrick_push.gif (205x142, 489.08K)

I was thinking this exactly but I want input from others

Other Australians in this thread, any advice on where I can buy portable HDDs at less than $40/TB?

Attached: satania2.jpg (612x716, 312.74K)

get cable ties and proper length cables and just stack as much as you can, and get them off the fucking floor. then you can go find something to put them inside if you want. you can start with cardboard if you're lazy and cheap.

I HATE THE ANTICHRIST

Well there is a shelf. But your point remains. I have the tools and knowledge to cut my own cords. I would just like to put all thee components into a case.

Attached: IMG_20220321_233600.jpg (4032x3024, 878.81K)

Good morning sirs, I want to put a disk or two on my lan. Do I buy an appliance, or bring up an old pc?
Requirements
>fits ~2x 3.5 inch disks
>gigabit ethernet
>a usb3 port would be nice too

Last week I impulse purchased a dl360e gen 8. This will be my first piece of server equipment. What am I in for?

A higher energy bill and a loud large home server

But it will impress the ladies, right?

Bet

Attached: 1645734426699.jpg (1125x1389, 162.59K)

Good morning sir
I would redeem an old pc, but then I have loads of them in storage

Nevermind I figured it out

officeworks usually has good deals on extHDDs, we get 1tb drives for work for like $30 or less, and i recently shucked an 8tb from jb hifi that was like $250 on sale

unironically those xbox one HDD expansion things are 4tb and usually go for pretty cheap, i saw them at $99 on black friday at JB

Officeworks does seem to be the best around, with a 4TB HDD going for $120. JB is similar at $130. But that's a lot of HDDs when I want 20TB in total, and neither of them sell HDDs bigger than 4-5TB.

What are they looking at Any Forums?

A rich fat old man holding a camera.

Its a selfie bro

Attached: 1645634485966.jpg (450x650, 63.71K)

had a quick look, i think the 12tb from jb is the best deal youre gonna get, thats $42/tb. im not seeing much cheaper

officeworks has a 12tb segate for $499 but its segate so good luck. if they sell the 12tb wd elements, you can get the 10% discount for competing prices, bringing it down to $458, which is $38/tb but i dont think officeworks sells the 12tb model

Attached: Screenshot_20220322-154417_Vivaldi Browser.jpg (1080x2400, 326.63K)