Lose data when you don't power SSDs for a long time

>lose data when you don't power SSDs for a long time
and they call them "storage devices"

Attached: best-gaming-ssds.jpg (1200x674, 90K)

>lose data if even one single dust particle enters through the small vent for the HDD and scratches anything a tiny bit

its almost like BOTH ssds and hdds suck ass.

Am I getting memed or is this an actual concern?

Attached: 1528975108180.png (320x303, 102.3K)

>for a long time
how long we talking

I'll take shit that never happens for 800 Alex.

If it's used TLC or may Allah forgive me for uttering these words QLC months to weeks. Even MLC is comparatively dogshit only SLC is viable for long term offline storage.

who the fuck uses SSDs for long term, powerless storage?

>months to weeks
wtf I thought you were going to say 2-3 years

bout three fiddy (days)

I've had SSDs off for years in a box and the data was fine.

what does one use for powerless storage of HDDs and SSDs are out of the question? Any Forums hates sd cards so that only leaves USBs

Best storage technology that we have at our disposal has a minor complaint that will only ever affect a fraction of a fraction of their users
>yeah it's shit throw it in the garbEEEEEEJI

magnetic tapes, although Any Forums is retarded. Buy whatever you want or can afford.

first wax cylinders

no storage technology lasts forever
you wouldnt use a screwdriver to hammer in a nail
operating systems & important data = multiple HDDs
temporary data (up to a month) and scratch disks = ssds

I'd say it is an actual concern. I'm thinking the safest for long term storage may be magnetic tapes, however I'm not too versed on the subject.

Nope. Even mildly used TLC is already pretty risky for long term offline storage and QLC even if completely new is beyond useless.
Obviously the quality of the flash is also a factor but only so far that good TLC is better than cheap/shit MLC but if you really want long term storage that can compete with tape (and theoretically outlast it) your only choice is SLC.

thats fine since my bootloader on windows ssd and linux is on other ssd, so they both getting power

>multiple HDDs
did you not see
why do storage devices have to be so fucking fragile?

>he doesn't put tape over the air intake of his HDD

Attached: 1628827792277.jpg (500x375, 42.32K)

Have you actually experienced loss or is this theoreticals?

magnetic tapes feel like suicide. anything that could possibly stick to it could erase everything on it

wouldnt putting tape over it cause it to overheat?

>better block the only hole that allows moisture and heat to exit the hard drive
enjoy your corroded hard drive faggot

Nobody uses SSDs as cold storage.

Helium drives are completely sealed

>mogs both and lasts a thousand years
digichads.....

Attached: 0 bqWFp2uVf-AGmf5D.jpg (1400x1051, 155.93K)

then call it RAM instead

what do you want to overhead? the fucking disks, made of metal?

This only works if you keep them in a vacuum and shield against magnetic interference.

you mad

Both. There are studies I'm referencing but I've also had data become unrecoverable on an external and admittedly pretty used TLC SSD after not having been plugged into anything for a few months, but I can't tell you how long exactly somewhere between 6-9 months give or take.
The larger the capacity and the worse the quality of the flash the sooner it will degrade, especially in real life conditions where it isn't stored in one place where it's never moved with constant temperature and humidity levels.

>lasts a thousand years
It's very rare that paper survives that long. Ask any historian how fun it is that almost all of written history is gone because people used paper.

>lets just have the disk exposed to get possibly damaged at anytime
who the fuck designed this?

Attached: internal-hard-drives-500x500.jpg (500x500, 33.4K)

iirc it's like 15 or so years before there'll be charge instability on a disconnected floating gate. basically it's a concern for archivists who just put drives away in cold storage for long periods, but the average user is unaffected.

history exists to be rewritten

>needs a gyroscope that detects if the hard drive is falling just to park and lock the needle or it will break even if you drop it 1cm

>lasts 10 thousand years
ahem...

Attached: CD-ROM.png (730x730, 725.5K)

pretty sure it depends on the type of SSD
I had a samsung 960 pro unplugged for almost 2 years and it was fine though

>CD
You should check up on your old backups user.

Attached: 1636100841988.png (263x275, 81.61K)