/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Read the sticky: >Unix/Linux questions >Windows questions >PC building? >Programming questions >Good, cheap laptops >Cheap electronics >Server questions >Buying headphones How to find/activate any version of Windows?
rentry.org/installwindows

Previous:

Attached: 1611334670217.jpg (640x480, 77.53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zcNNshX984I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Matrix devs say one of goals is achieving maximum interoperability, meaning bridging into each and every botnet communication platform. What is the benefit of this? I don't think it will cause privacy gains - your talks will eventually travel through those inferior communicators and be monetized/data mined/whatever. It also means users of botnet platforms aren't incentivized to switch to Matrix at all - they can stay where they are and talk with Matrix folks. Please help me understand that.

Like, I can understand bridging into IRC or bridging some public rooms to maximize reachable user base. I don't get the other use cases, which include bridging DMs or other private chats with people.

how could I debug a wordpress plugin that's in PHP? I don't actually know PHP, but I'm trying to see where it stores data and what the variables in the scripts evaluate to

Best PDF reader/editor? Adobe lags like shit.

Why shouldn't the bridging allow private messages? How is it "another use case"?

I keep getting a segmentation fault after using a strtok
I need to use a strtok for comma once, then for quotes once, then for commas until the line ends
But after using strtok on quotes, if i try using strtok again it gives me a segmentation fault
Any suggestions?

Attached: SS.png (284x287, 9.42K)

whats a good vps for a node js server

Reposting: Are there HDMI 2.1 to DisplayPort cabel or adapter for sale? I got a HDMI connection on my GPU, but it is already taken, but I got three DP for use.

Sorry, I didn't mean it shouldn't be allowed. It's just that it seems contradictory to me;
>use Matrix to keep private chats private with E2EE
>but also bridge some private chats back to botnet, getting 0 (afaik) privacy
I understand bridging public chats - those are public anyway and you should expect them to be data mined, either by design of communicator or by anyone who can just join the chat room and read what you're shitposting about.

You have two devices that need 2.1?

I want to stream games at 4k 60 fps to my living room tv through ethernet. What's the cheapest android box that would provide a smooth experience? The nvidia shield costs as much as a fucking console where I live so it's completely out of the option.

>I want to stream games at 4k 60 fps

Attached: 1628209298312.gif (388x282, 850.66K)

You'd be essentially using the matrix server as a proxy.

4K @ 60FPS is over 11 Gbps of data, you'll need to compress that if you're going to wirelessly stream it, An android box that can hardware decode whatever encoding format you choose

Exactly. So why even involve Matrix at all? What is the point of doing that instead of using/developing 3rd party clients that talk to botnet servers?
Beeper is a commerical project built on Matrix and bridges that aims to be a one app for all platforms. I assume they're reusing the existing bridges because they work already, and you get Matrix connectivity anyway. But why would.. ugh, I don't know, something about this feels wrong and I can't understand it.

It's through ethernet user. I have a long ass ethernet cable that I can easily install through the wall from the bedroom the to the living room. I know an nvidia shield pro is capable of doing that, but I wanna know if there are cheaper alternatives.

They can do a movie at 4k, not an uncompressed video stream. 11 Gbps = 11 ethernet cables.

...does this actually work? Asking for a friend.

Remote play doesn't sent uncompressed video you turd

>What is the point of doing that instead of using/developing 3rd party clients that talk to botnet servers?
idk what networks we are even talking here but proxy is proxy and direct connection is direct connection.
Two different things, one is a matrix client talking to a matrix server and the other one you are describing is multi-network client.

You're not going to get 4k compressed in real time without absurd lag.

Yeah but are you encoding in h.264 or h.265?
> The nvidia shield costs as much as a fucking console where I live so it's completely out of the option.
Where do you live then? we don't know what products are and aren't available in your area, "consoles" range from $200 ~ $500, I am just trying to get you to be less vague

Every GTX have hardware encoders, this is an example on an ancient gpu
youtube.com/watch?v=zcNNshX984I
4k60 is a walk in the park
nvidia gamestream only works on shield, you can try parsec, any device that can decode h265/264 at that resolution [2160p60] will suffice.

I just got hired as a SOC Analyst. I work from home. The company I'm with wants me to use a VPN to their network. Would a virtual machine on my desktop or laptop work or should I go buy a used thinkpad and dedicate it to only work? I don't wanna spend extra money if I don't need to.

Attached: 1520550164242.png (671x519, 146.08K)

>nvidia gamestream only works on shield, you can try parsec, any device that can decode h265/264 at that resolution [2160p60] will suffice.

Haven't looked into parsec much, I was gonna use Moonlight cause I heard it's supposedly just as good at nvidia's stuff. My pc has a 3060ti. But that's the thing though, I don't know what hardware I can get away with, I don't know much about h265/h264 or whatever. Would something like a Chromecast with Google TV suffice? Or would I need to make a custom system like an HTPC?