Am I alone in feeling like we should've moved past fans and hard drives in computers...

Am I alone in feeling like we should've moved past fans and hard drives in computers? Something about a box in our living room or bedroom or office with little moving parts, churning away sometimes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Just sitting there like a little engine, spinning away, vibrating, generating noise, wearing down and eventually failing in some way. It seems so antiquated, I guess.

Attached: asus-silentknight2-large.jpg (1928x2032, 424.9K)

Lmao loser who gives a shit just run a macbook.

oh no muh moving parts i wish i could replace my human heart with an ssd

>and eventually failing in some way
You must have been very lucky with components if you think something solid state never fails

you can use modern pentium perfectly fine without heatsink

I use my dual cpu workstation beast and monster vidya card as a space heater .. I save tons of money not running my storage heaters in the winter.

Attached: mekon (1).jpg (230x350, 19.07K)

>heatsinks with copper fins are never coming back
why live

Attached: boiling pepe.jpg (446x399, 27.62K)

There are full copper heatsinks for AM4 and some Intel sockets they're just really fucking expensive.

Fans are indeed bullshit, but there is no stable and easy to machine material with better thermal transfer than copper to facilitate passive cooling.

What you're describing are smartphones and tablets. You're welcome to use them at any time.

This but un-ironically

Kek

We are pretty much moved past HDDs, no one uses them anymore, SSDs are cheap as fuck.

Fans should just be silent. I don't think there is a good alternative without introducing other risks like water cooling but fans have no good reason to make so much god damn noise.

>We are pretty much moved past HDDs
No we haven't. Large SSDs are expensive as fuck. Until they match HDDs in gigabytes per dollar then HDDs will still have a use. And possibly even after that if the 400-level cell NAND dies after two writes.

Maybe in Tajikistan where you live but I haven't personally seen an HDD in like 3 years.

>Fans should just be silent. I don't think there is a good alternative without introducing other risks like water cooling but fans have no good reason to make so much god damn noise.
Just set their speed at 800 rpm and they would be silent.

It doesn't matter where you live, 8TB SSDs are insanely more expensive than 8TB HDDs, and SSDs larger than that are unobtanium,

duh but sometimes it needs to be faster

>no one uses them anymore,
>how to spot zoomer

800 rpm is enough if you stay below 80 watts power on CPU.

if you really think about it everything we do revolved around some sort of square that makes noise, hell even our fucking beds make god damn noise, now imagine if you got rid of those noises, you'd probably not be able to sleep cause you are so use to the noises. I myself need a constant fan on to even sleep at night, i'm sure the fan probably needs a break but nah I never turn it off lmao.

>We are pretty much moved past HDDs, no one uses them anymore, SSDs are cheap as fuck.
The low-end consumer market is trending away from HDDs, but datacentres are more reliant on spinning rust now than ever. DC SSDs are obscenely expensive and only used for caches, boot disks, and other hot storage. Cold storage in SANs and libraries still use HDDs and LTO tapes almost exclusively.

There are tales of people who have spent extended lengths of time in scientific anechoic chambers and after a while it becomes very uncomfortable hearing your own breathing, blood spply pumping around your body, heartbeat .. very uncanny.

Sometimes performance just requires weight, heat and energy use. The fact that idiots do not understand this has ruined technology in countless ways. The best-performing monitor money can buy for example, consumes over 500 watts.

exactly

>We are pretty much moved past HDDs
retards sure say this a lot, do you rely on cloud services?

post pics of the rig

My Dell UP3221Q monitor weighs a tons and emits a fuck ton of heat compared to simalr monitors .. those 2000 microleds pumping 1000 nits sustained in HDR+ mode has to dump a load of heat.

>I haven't personally seen an HDD in like 3 years

You must not get out much then. I replace HDDs all the time for enterprise customers. It'll be another decade before SSDs completely overtake spinning drives in multiple industries.

It's a HP z840 dual xeon with quadro p 6000's .. you can download the whitepaper yourself if you are interested.