/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: 1617592945206.png (1024x768, 59.45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Ni8i0Eez
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reposting in case user migrates threads before seeing my last question

is it true that linux GPU drivers, especially for nvidia, are very poor quality and extremely unstable?

For NVIDIA, yes. It is usable and has some quirks, but I still disliked my time using them very much.
AMD's drivers just works on my machine.

Sounds like you fucked the remote destination's authorized_keys file when you removed it
Do you still have access to the target machine?

That hasn't been true for a long time
Both drivers work fine now, the different is that Nvidia's drivers are proprietary, while AMD's are open source.
Nvidia's drivers thus cause some issues and doesn't play well with the whole linux ecosystem, but they still work fine for most things.

Nvidia drivers are fine, but you're at the behest of Nvidia themselves when it comes to your graphics card suddenly being too old for the latest driver one year.
Compared, AMD cards are pretty much plug and play thanks to AMD open sourcing their code.

AMD has a few quirks depending on your hardware, mostly related to suspend/resume, but is otherwise pretty solid, and quite powerful actually.
NVIDIA is complete ass, cannot recommend unless the user has no choice.

If you can use the dkms version of the drivers then NVIDIA is okay. The non-dkms version is more finicky.

>Sounds like you fucked the remote destination's authorized_keys file when you removed it
I don't think so, it is in ~/.ssh
>Do you still have access to the target machine?
I have phisical access to it, yes.

Currently trying out 's method.

Daily question maybe someone can help me out this time.
I want to get a persistent live debian installed on my USB that I can boot from both bios and uefi machines. I want to use it with multiple different computers. Is that possible and what would be the best way to do it?

Attached: 1618482380333.jpg (742x940, 46.23K)

Tried user's method, didn't work.

Thinking of switching to Linux for a month, already updated my backups of all the documents I truly care about (Photos mainly). Will probably do it on the 23rd when Gnome 42 Officially releases.

What's your pleasure then? Something apt based? pacman? dnf? zypper?

Did you restart sshd after editing /etc/sshd_config?
Are you sure the /etc/sshd_config you edited was the one on computer B?
Try runing ssh with -vvv (increased verbosity)

i think there was a tool called mkusb or something like that

All GPU drivers are poor quality and unreliable. The desktop Linux situation is complicated because there are different implementations for different layers. If you use GNOME or openbox + picom with nVidia, you'll probably find you have reliable video drivers. If you use Xfeces with xfwm compositing or stock KDE, you probably won't. Some of it is nVidia's fault, and some of it is shitty software. You can have a decent experience with nVidia on Linux, but you have to be able to follow written instructions and know enough to intuit when certain combinations just aren't going to work for situation.

(this should be in sqt but that hit the bump limit)

will updates break if i uninstall anything thats preinstalled on linux mint?

Are there any options in any Linux distro/Linux software that exists to set an amount of time a user has until it's disabled/locked. Trying to find something to set up a Public PC at work for clients. Hopefully can do it remotely from another computer.

most just werks distros will probably have an option for that in the gui
just dont install meme distros and get ubuntu or mint

Ill take a look at it. Looks interesting but not sure if it allows for both uefi and bios boots

Pacman by far, the AUR honestly is too outstandingly good not to use, and is simple enough for my chimp brain. Though EndeavourOS seems to be the best flavour of Arch for easy RTX driver installs and Pipewire by default, plus last time I checked Manjaro was an absolute trainwreck with almost every DE/Spin they released.

Yeah for the easiest of easy Arch installs EndeavourOS has you covered. It's Arch but everything's done for you first time, giving you a canvas to do whatever you want.

That and honestly my biggest issue with Distros like Ubuntu and others are that the official repos are too small and often need too much tinkering for basic third party software, whilst messing around with the mirrorlist and pacman.conf seems so simple in comparison.
>Implying it's not already in the AUR.

Thank you

I dont have any question at this time.

>Did you restart sshd after editing /etc/sshd_config?
Yes, every time, on both computers after changes to their respective configs.
>Are you sure the /etc/sshd_config you edited was the one on computer B?
Yup, I've been getting up and changing it manually, restarting sshd on both and sitting down again to test it.
>Try runing ssh with -vvv (increased verbosity)
Sorry for the wait, I was removing any doxxable information from the output.
pastebin.com/Ni8i0Eez
Here's the password for the paste (cool, they have that now:)
tfarMQzCq5

If I'm running a headless mpd server and want to play audio on multiple devices which output to use?

You could maybe possibly dd your system to an iso and put that on a ventoy USB. Idk if it would be persistent but it would tackle the big issue of being boot able from bot bios and uefi

Now remember to enable the NetworkManager service before exiting your chroot with systemctl enable NetworkManager.
You might also want to make a non-root user as well to get it out of the way.
useradd -m -g wheel -G users,storage,power (what you want the user's name to be)
Then just run passwd against the user to give it a password, then run EDITOR=nano visudo and uncomment %wheel ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL so the user can sudo.

I am getting into linux with the end goal of daily driving gentoo linux. my current path is as follows

install arch
read and do The Linux Command line by william shots (am here)
setup a nice dwm and get used to daily running linux
read the C programing language
Proper gentoo install and setup
Kernel programming

is this a good path? is there any other resources you would recommend or say is a must?

Attached: lcl2_front_new (1).png (170x225, 37.23K)

How do you change where tint2 puts panels at on different screens?
I want the left monitor to me on the left most border and the main screen to be at the bottom,same for top and left on each monitor

Well you'd wanna learn more about the kernel before actually installing Gentoo so you'll know exactly what kind of things you wanna turn on or off in the actual kernel compiling.