Can anyone help me fix this

can anyone help me fix this

Basically i set up my home network like this, i hae a modem with only 1 WAN port, and i used a switch to split it in two,

then i plug in my 2 routers to the switch, and each router gets it's own public IP address

this setup worked for 3 years, until recently when my mom was cleaning the rack she lifted up the switch (the switch then went into some emergency mode and reset, and now this setup is no longer working)

i use a netgear switch, i do not remember what settings i put in it to make it work the first time, but i can't get it to work again

or can anyone recommend a new switch which makes this easier, like i manually set which port will forward to which port

Attached: setup.png (741x655, 21.55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

downloads.netgear.com/files/GS108T_UM_11Feb08.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

vlan

I'm surprised you got this to work in the first place. ISPs will usually only issue one public IP address per docsis connection. Maybe they recently started actually enforcing that?
>can anyone recommend a new switch which makes this easier, like i manually set which port will forward to which port
Any managed switch should allow you to do this

Doesn't even have to be a managed switch. If the modem is bridged both routers should try to get a public ip, provided the ISP allows that.

for mine it seems to be per the MAC of whatever is plugged into the WAN on the modem, including a direct PC-Modem connection

in the PC-modem version, i can just ipconfig /release, change MAC, then /renew

and i have a new public IP in 5 seconds, and i can do that as fast as i can and go through a dozen different IPs

it only stopped working for me when my mom bumped into the switch and reset it, im sure i put some setting there which made it work, but i forgot what i did since it was so long ago

use a vlan tard

can anyone tell me the difference between Tagged and Untagged? Tagged means it can be shared between two Vlans, and Untagged means it will only be in 1 Vlan?

and for the Link Aggregation LAG settings do i just leave it blank?

vlan tagging is used for trunk ports, trunking is used to carry multiple vlans from one switch to another so they can deal with the vlan traffic according to their vlan table

LAG is basically a NIC team so yes leave it blank.

so no tagging and no lag, just put your router 1 on vlan 1, and 2 on vlan 2. but they wont be able to communicate unless you involve a router that is connected to both vlans

actually, you would have to set up a trunk to your modem. i dont know how you would do this. maybe a better option is just with your routing table or another layer 3 option. for example on r1 you router the traffic for r2 into 0.0.0.0/32 and vice versa. i think the best option is with an ACL or firewall though.

is this the correct way to set it up, i factory reset my switch just to start from a clean slate like i originally did

not sure if i should change the U on Port1 to T

Attached: settings.png (620x525, 20.43K)

Port1 connects to the WAN on the Modem btw

Port 2 connects to Router1, and Port 3 connects to Router2

is a netgear G108T

yes your port connected to the modem needs to be tagged. ports on different vlans wont be able to communicate without a router connected to the different vlans. your vlans are just virtual switches. so since you cant plug 2 switches into one modem, you will need to logically. that is what a trunk is. now i dont think your modem with support any sort of trunking (tagging)

so this makes me think, and im pretty sure im correct, that you will NOT solve this at layer 2 (switching). you will have to solve this with layer 3 (ip addresses and routing)

can you connect something to the switch and get a packet capture? try manually setting the IP addresses as well. (you can do a ping sweep of the subnet you are on on the wan, then use two ips that are not in use (this is not a good option but it might work))

i will also ask if you think you need two public ipv4 addresses, or if you can make do with ipv6 addresses, which would simplify this alot.

not only this, but you have NAT going on at the ISP's gateway. so that gateway needs to be able to differentiate between the two private IP zones

They're all on the same vlan then. You need to make sure you're filtering broadcast or UDP 67/68 or DHCP DISCOVER / DHCP OFFER will never complete.
If you have a PPPOE setup you're just fubar, and would need to pay me to support you.

>ISPs will usually only issue one public IP address per docsis connection.
They just go by mac address. New mac address = new IP that's the easiest way to do it from their side anyway

>this thread

Attached: 1644682716126.jpg (7360x4912, 2.26M)

have u used a netgear switch before?

also here is the menu settings i think is where u can manually setup the routing table

g1 through g8 are the ports (there are 8 ports)

i'm guessing, i put the MAC of the router, and then select the port i want it to connect to, correct?

VLAN ID 1 is the default one that comes with the router, the ones i set up are 4 and 5 here I'm guessing if i do it this way the Vlans don't matter, or should i still select the vlan the routers connect to

Attached: settings.png (1920x969, 47.67K)

im also gonna just assume back when it did work for 3 years, it was probably just a fluke cause i was just clicking around randomly in the settings, and somehow it just worked

>have u used a netgear switch before?
all vendors switches are similar enough for it to not matter.
>also here is the menu settings i think is where u can manually setup the routing table
switches dont have routing tables. they have mac address tables.
>i'm guessing, i put the MAC of the router, and then select the port i want it to connect to, correct?
no, this menu is configuring static entries in the mac address table. the switch will make a descision to switch based on the mac table entry, if the tables says aaaa.aaaa.aaaa is on port 5, it will send the frame down that link. if you misconfigure your mac address table you wont have any connectivity, and it can be hard to detect as well. i suggest you use dynamic mac tables, which is the default.
>VLAN ID 1 is the default one that comes with the router, the ones i set up are 4 and 5 here #
>I'm guessing if i do it this way the Vlans don't matter, or should i still select the vlan the routers connect to
you should remove your vlan config, you need to have all the ports on the same vlan. i would then power cycle your all your devices at the same time.

i am just reading your manual. is there any config backups you can find on the webgui? if you can then you might be able to find out what config you had that worked.
downloads.netgear.com/files/GS108T_UM_11Feb08.pdf

Unfortunately, i made this setup when i was like 16 and just playing around with switches and some random setting i did made it work like this, i never saved the config, ill remember to save it if i ever manage to get it to work again

and ever since then i always tried to figure out what i did back then, all the other network engineers i asked at work said they never made anything like this before and was surprised something like that actually worked

i guess one theory is a firmware update to the modem that stops this from working

my memory isn't very clear on this, but i seem to remember i reset it to factory settings as a kid, and then plugged in the modem, and the 2 routers, and magically they connected in the way i drew in my op

yeah, i really dont know how it would work in the first place and why it would stop. you should try and get a packet capture on the switch with your routers plugged in and pinging. see what happens. are either of your routers getting ip addresses? plugged into the switch? or do they get them if they plug into the modem?