Redpill/blackpill me on solar power

Redpill/blackpill me on solar power.
It's gotten a lot cheaper that past decade, but why isn't it everywhere yet?

Like around the world, there's literally chunks of area that are nothing but deserts and plains and mountainous regions. Why haven't we used these lands to power nearby towns?

Attached: solar-energy.jpg (1200x630, 211.77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

globalsolaratlas.info/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Solar panels cause global warming

>but why isn't it everywhere yet?
It's cheaper but it still takes a good chunk of money to buy and have it installed. And people are short-sighted. Like my parents, I TELL THEM TO PUT SOLAR SINCE THE 90s AND THEY STILL THINK IT'S SOME NOVELTY. Goddamn boomers...

Main issue is geography, and cost of the panels and installation. They mostly follow a 10-20 year leasing model. You're lucky if you break even with selling power back to the grid by the time the panels need to be replaced. But, you are free from the grid for the most part. If a hurricane knocks out power to your city, you're fine as long as your panels are okay.
>globalsolaratlas.info/

If there was a good way to store excess power then off grid would be really feasible with solar. With the sell back model you at least save some money but if its cloudy during an outage you still need to use a generator

Because you're just offsetting the cost from paying the electric bill to financing solar + battery. Additionally it's unreliable depending where you live (rainy, cloudy day, etc). Maintence also costs money as well as opposed to the utility company just fixing the lines themselves should they go down. Also if your concerned about climate change just see if your utility company offers sourced from solar generation.

From an environmental POV solar panels are about as green as non-rechargeable AA-batteries

How so? You throw non recharable battery's away solar had a use life of about 15-30 yrs which they can then be recycled

Attached: screen_shot_2018-05-10_at_4.37.28_pm.png (1600x890, 1.36M)

90% of people don't have ~$10,000 burning a hole in their pocket. Financing has obviously made things better but paying ~$100 a month for 10 years when that's around what you'll pay in electricity anyway isn't that enticing. The technology just isn't economically viable for most people, until that happens EVs with solar panels would probably be the best compromise for the next 10 years or so.

This

Attached: Wattway-Image-Feature.jpg (1263x698, 609.63K)

You have to transmit the electrical power from those remote locations to where it is to be used. This consumes a lot of energy in itself. You also have to keep those panels clean and free from debris.

>shatters into a trillion pieces after just a single speeding semi filled with 10 tons of cement bags drives over it

There's a solar panel patch on the highway out to my cousin's house in Eastern Oregon, and it shines a bright-ass spot at all the drivers. It causes like 20 wrecks a year or something. Solar companies are getting the shit sued out of them for these "le infinite energy desert farm" memes.

>blinds every driver

My cousin started a company in 2014 that sells and install solar panels.
Complete scam he tells me, unless you want to run a water pump in the middle of nowhere.
Surprisingly successful. Lots of people buying into the solar power meme.

I pay like 800 dollars a year in electricity and they sell me that shit for 30-40 000, thats around 38 years + they guaranteed that shit for 10 years, I have to give it maintenance and buy more batteries...

B but electricity cost is going to cost you more
it is not, they are opening more plants with clean energy every year than fucking mcdonalds.

B but the environment

I dont give shit about the environment, that shit is dying since hundreds of years and nothing happens. Remember the ozone layer was going to disappear and kill us all, remember when the sun is going to give you cancer, remember the climate change crap, remember cancer for eating bacon?
spoiler alert more doomsday discoveries are coming that we are living today, but we don't know they exist because they are not in television.

I have a 190watt panel and 160watt inverter keeping a pair of agm 12 vdc batteries charged up, not the most powerful system but it keeps my laptop and phone charged up and runs my electric blanket warm all night when its cold and will run almost all small kitchen appliances i throw at it,

Daily reminder rhat solar belongs on roofs. The electricity Jew doesn't want you to install solar, so it builds solar plants on arable land and tells you how green he is making you pay 3x as much for green power costing him nothing to peanuts to produce.

Protest solar plants. Solar belong to the people!

20 years+ to see your return on investment. They only have a lifespan of about that.

Utility companies often have the rights to influence or even set local building code. They make it purposefully painful to get setup most places. If you own the panels on your own roof, it's hard for them to make money off of you. If you generate excess power and sell it back to them for other users, they have to actually maintain or upgrade their grid, which they've been neglecting for close to a century. Ignore the fact some of the fees they have been charging for decades were for exactly that: upgrades and maintenance.

Solar roadways were always a stupid idea, and the company attempting to sell them are con artists. Even if they were as resilient as they claim, the best standard solar panels can't generate the amount of power they claim theirs will generate. I think they also claimed it was no maintenance. Anyone who's worked with any system at scale knows that's not true. Enough units of anything will have failures.