Kubuntu VS. Mint (Cinnamon/KDE)

I have Mint installed on a an older desktop - i5-4590, 16GB DDR3, SSD/HDD. It's used as a couch/living room PC, and it runs well. The issue is that I don't like cinnamon. I enjoy and have gotten used to KDE plasma, it is nice and has not given me any issues on 2 different PCs. I installed plasma on Mint as it no longer supports it, and it's a little messed up. Some functions don't seem to work as well as they did on distributions prior (on Arch plasma ran perfectly well). Herein lies the issue. So since Mint is just Ubuntu LTS and Kubuntu is Ubuntu with KDE preinstalled, should I switch?

I have to say, I love Mint's driver support and ease of use. If they supported KDE out of the gate and I didn't have to fuck with it too much, I'd just stay with this distro. I'd appreciate any advice. Before I hear the troll posts - yes, I ran Arch on another machine. Not installing gentoo. Not installing Windows on it etcetct

Attached: plasma.jpg (1920x1080, 258.29K)

Cinnamon > Plasma
Get a better taste.

nobody wants that old looking ugly bullshit

>old looking
It doesn't look old just because it doesn't have muh blur and muh breeze colors.
Also, enjoy your DE breaking every 5 seconds.

Use mate DE because it consumes less resources than cinnamon

If ubuntu suits your needs, consider KDE neon. It's Ubuntu LTS with latest KDE on top of it, shipped by the KDE developers themselves.

>enjoy your DE breaking every 5 seconds
The only people who still say this about Plasma are either trolls or haven't used it in a long ass time. It's pretty stable now, even on Wayland.

OP just install Kubuntu and disable snaps.

sudo apt purge snapd
sudo apt-mark hold snapd

Bam, you're done.

Neon is more unstable than Kubuntu, ironically despite being based on Ubuntu LTS. Combining the older LTS packages with the new KDE packages in Neon results in some weird bullshit.

Source: trust me.

It has worked fine on two other distros, I love it. Why do you guys always have to troll things you don't like? What a pathetic fucking faggot you must be in your actual life. Thanks for the ZERO VALUE advice.

>sudo apt purge snapd
>sudo apt-mark hold snapd
the linux mint source code

I've literally installed KDE Neon the other day and had the same problems as always.
KDE is ugly, buggy and everything looks and works weird even after an hour of messing with its shitty settings.
The only change between now and a few years ago is that Breeze, at least in its dark version, doesn't look that bad.
That instability and the shitty look and feel are still there.

I have heard of people having many issues with Neon, that's why I've stayed clear of it. I'd prefer to have a more stable experience.

Sounds unironically like a (You) problem. Also almost everything you mentioned is subjective, if you don't like how it looks then fine, but for most people who aren't retarded, KDE is definitely not unstable.

>KDE doesn't break
This is Manjaro, clean install, a couple of weeks ago.
Kubuntu is also buggy as fuck.
KDE is simply unstable in most distros.

Attached: Manjaro KDE volume control.webm (498x469, 233.4K)

>uses Manjaro to prove a point about stability
Oh, user...

I'll at least admit that your mileage may vary, as is the case with any distro/init system/desktop environment/window manager.
Unfortunate that you've had such a bad time with KDE, I use it on two machines with completely different hardware and it runs great on both.
I have however had bad KDE experiences in the past, like when I installed Fedora 35 with KDE Wayland in November and it was a complete clusterfuck. It's improved substantially since then.
I also agree that Kubuntu wouldn't be my first choice, but seems like OP is set on getting a dpkg/apt based distro. Not going to recommend Debian either, because faggots.

>that screenshot
Hhhhhahahahahaha oh no no no no no

Attached: file.png (567x245, 82.7K)

Shit I forgot about snaps.

What's the issue with snaps again? That security flaw from last month?

They open slow, don't integrate well with the OS, force auto-updates, add a bunch of random virtual disks, take up more space, etc..

Honest opinion, install OpenSUSE Tumbleweed with plasma, there's nothing better than that in regards to KDE.

Please tell me this crap is in Wayland only. I feel like trying KDE in the new Ubuntu just to vary things a little, Xorg GNOME is pretty good

I have no issue with that. What package manager do they use, what files types does it use? Is it stable?

Does kubuntu auto-install snaps with its install?

It uses zypper and RPM for the packages, although it is rolling release and updates for things like GNOME and KDE are really fast, it is generally a quite stable distro.
If you want the ubuntu LTS and debian stable experience you'd be better with OpenSUSE LEAP which is basically like a free version of SUSE Linux Enterprise because it shares a lot of the code and it is geared towards peak stability like debian, and yeah, packages are a bit outdated too.