Microsoft to Arch Noob

Even while using microsoft I didnt have a clue about how comps really worked. "built my own comp" and have no idea about software side of things.

With help from friend I set up Arch and have been using it for a couple days. Terminal is fun and ive been learning some miniscule things about using terminal...BUT games dont work all the time and exe shit dont run. Gents do I stick to it as my first distro or go back to microcuck. How convinient/rewarding is Linux(arch) for the average 18 yo noob. Pls send help

Attached: pondering.png (402x246, 164.69K)

Most of the difficulty in Arch is just setting up a reasonable environment since you need to know all the programs and configs that a more user-friendly distro would come included with. Of course and .exe isn't going to work without using something like WINE. If you're using Steam getting games to work hasn't been a problem for me in awhile, typically only AAA multiplayer games, or terrible indie-jank titles that barely work in the first place don't run. Most applications have some Linux alternative, but there are a lot that you'll miss. A lot of applications these days are electron-based so there's usually not much of an issue for those, even if they are slow as hell.

You're wasting your time, linux is not "rewarding" for using it, it's a general purpose OS that got all its problems automated circa 2003, arch is a timesink on purpose, to waste your time and make you think you're part of a secret club. It's essentially a human virus. You don't "learn about linux" or "learn about how computers work", you just deal with arch-specific problems that everyone else fixed in 2003. You aren't smart you're actually stupid and are just wasting your time. Go for ubuntu and get a job

>filtered by the arch install

Yes, I'm too busy for the actual job I have that makes me a ton of money that you got filtered at in the interview. But it's fine, you have some gay made up system that you can pretend to win points that you can't cash in, while I win actual points (money).

I don't choose Arch for entirely different reasons, but you "waggie" larpers are a fucking cancer. Your 2 day internship isn't a career, you insecure faggot.

I make 300 a year working a couple jobs remote. You chose arch to pretend to be smart, just like all psuedo intelligent niggers do when they choose arch. Why else would you choose it when there's a multitude of other distros that can give you the same thing in 5 minutes with no work? You are just another hipster NPC.

keep at it bro. nothing wrong with ricing and studyiong your own system as long as it doesnt intefere with your life. sometimes i install mint sometimes i manually install artix. so uhh keep at it bro

300 dollars doesn't sound like much, but it's a good place to start. Keep at it user!

Damn I just got back from shitting and doing some work. I already have a nice environment set up. It certainly does feel nice to write things into the terminal and navigate the directories. just wondering if my lack of familiarity will cause a problem with school and day to day use. Seems pretty good so far and I think Ill stick with it for a little more.

Thanks for making me realise that no one actually knows anything in this board and I should just see how it goes. Appreaciate the help Any Forums

late to the thread but w/e
beauty of arch imo is the continuous fine-tuning you get to do to it to work how you want. not everyone's thing understandably, as some people have shit to do and can't spend 2 hours reading about wpa_supplicant just to connect to the internet. but by the end you'll have a fine-tuned machine and a deep understanding of OSes. but yeah exe's and games won't be its strong suit, never have been with any distro (word it that might change in the future, but don't hold your breath)
>How convinient/rewarding is Linux
depends. you'll have a computer that works on YOUR terms, and skills that look impressive on a resume to boot (only matters if you're getting your foot in the door in a sysadmin or devops role though)
terminal skills apply anywhere, if you end up back on windows I'd grab a terminal emulator and a strawberry perl install just to keep working those skills, you'll never go wrong with them and they've saved me literally hundreds of hours over the years
consider keeping a dual boot kicking around, dunno what your future holds but if it's anything tech-related, shit's good to know

thanks for the advice man it was very insightful.
Planning on studying physics but ive always wanted to be able to at least understand these things a little bit more.

>Even while using microsoft I didnt have a clue about how comps really worked
That's normal, Windows obfuscates it unlike Linux.

>open random thread
>Ctrl-f NPC
>it's you everytime
dude, you spend way too much time here, nobody believes you actually have a job

>physics
lmao holy fuck I studied the same thing before copping out to CS for an easier ride. hope you get what you're looking for out of it though, beautiful field that never failed to change how I saw the world
tech in general is a good skillset to have in your back pocket, especially going into something that math-heavy. you might get balls-deep into the research and have hard problems to solve with matlab/octave/numpy. or if you're lucky, a supercomputer to ssh into for computational-physics work
also helps pay the bills in the meantime when physics won't til much later. follow your passion though, education is just a stupid piece of paper that your future expects of you, and doing physics shit looks smart enough that nobody will snub you for it

I literally said that I DON'T choose Arch.

Someone this braindead couldn't be employed, even during these times. Either that, or you're an actual bot.

>Planning on studying physics
Learning to use a good editor (either emacs or vim take your pick) and MarkDown, which is extremely simple tu learn, will make your life so much easier when writing assignments
LaTeX will also be useful for writing a memoir/thesis

for maths, R is really comfy
it not only is a good introduction to programming for a science student but can also help you plot dozens of charts (with dynamic titles and scales) in a single second while all the other muggles will be sifting through menu's in Exc*l lmao
start with R studio then maybe use R alone once you're comfortable in a terminal

learn git ASAP to backup your config files and other files

good luck to you and welcome home

>skills on a resume
Like I said, I wish I could I could be there when you get your ass laughed out of the interview after they tell you that "learning" the install process from repeating it so much after shit breaks doesn't mean jack shit because it's all made up to be a timesink for losers. You would know that if you actually did "devops" because you would know that you can click a button and get a container deployed in 10 seconds, but you can't ever escape the catch-22 of using this piece of shit so you can get your head out of your ass enough to look at the real world to stop using it. You don't "go on" to do anything after arch you just keep jerking off for 30 years pretending you're smart. Just wish I could be there when you crash and burn.

Also completely wrong, latex is only for losers who don't want to complete their "thesis" and add another few years of psuedo-complication to their nothingburger life instead of using a WYSIWYG editor and actually graduating. Sticking around for this fun trainwreck of a thread. What, you didn't even mention dropping bash for some shittier super obscure piece of shit shell? I'm disappointed.

>filtered by arch install
>filtered by latex
>seething at people who decide to explore Linux

Attached: lul.png (349x345, 174.6K)

>and exe shit dont run
Well, yeah, why would it? You're not on winblows

You got filtered by an actual job. I pay for your welfare. Start licking my boot. Like I said, wish I could be there when you crash and burn and realize nobody is buying what you're selling. Nobody's going to pay you to "maintain" some server install, since 2012 or so you click a button and get a linux container. This is not "exploring linux" it is jerking off.