Why does Any Forums obsess over DEs?

If you like a particular DE or WM just use it, no need to force everyone else to worship it as you do.
Unlike most conflicts in the FOSS space (rust, systemd, firefox or no firefox, GPLv3, electron, etc.), competituon between DEs is harmless and should not be a point of controversy.

Attached: Popular_free_desktop_environments.svg.png (700x523, 124.9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.wakarimasen.moe/g/thread/86084844/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

because the developers of one specific DE are astronomical faggots that spend more time finding ways to force everyone else to do things their way than they do actually improving their project

Does its name start with a g?

Most Any Forumstards don’t actually use their riced out builds for computing. They just make it look pretty and sit there and look at it. 90% of people fighting about DE/WM probably don’t even benefit from the perceived increase in workflow/performance because they don’t actually do anything outside of basic computer usage

My way of using the computer is better than yours

what the fuck am I looking at lmao

fact is that guhnoome and krashde are faggot tier shit including all of their forks and xfeces
unironically if you are not a ricer the choice is either to use stock guhnooome or to use a tiling window manager with minimal features
i personally use dwm with no patches whatsoever, in fact i only changed two line in the entire source code to add a keybinding for opening browser and a text editor
computing freedom allows us to choose different interfaces for the computer which is really important since there is no 'one size fits all ' no matter what mac os or windows os shills/people tell you

>Why does Any Forums obsess over DEs?
Because autism.

KDE is the best for file picker alone fuck you shitter

Just take whatever your age is and subtract 10. Those are the people you're dealing with. Teenagers, literal children.

>Just take whatever your age is and subtract 10.
51?

11?

So you install any GTK app, and it uses "CSD" and "headerbars" and non-standard parameters that must be read by the window manager/compositor to indicate that a window is focused. This means that most GTK apps don't work with non-GTK window manager environments. And headerbars are fucking awful by the way - clicking an unfocused window on the titlebar is the ONLY way to safely focus and raise it; but now you risk accidentally pressing a button on the titlebar.

So you try GTK-based/GTK-aware window managers. They're heavy as fuck - slow, barely usable on old hardware - but they're practically required because some of your apps are GTKshit. Muffin, Mutter, Kwin ... all have terribly confusing packaging and configuration; you can't really install any of these without pulling hundreds of bizzare dependencies - not just libraries, as you'd expect, but services related to password management, disk caching, and media playback. And configuration in the traditional sense is very restricted; users are supposed to use plugins written in JavaScript or whatever instead, and they'll break every time the APIs are updated. That's insane. So the sole usable option that mostly works is Xfwm, but it still requires a collection of external apps for menus and keybinds (usually provided by xfce-session, xfce-panel, xfdesktop), and it will never have the flexibility of, for example, Openbox.

But maybe you can just avoid GTK apps? No, everybody develops with Python + GTK, for some reason. Consider the task of reading ebooks on your Linux desktop. Every available app is broken. There's CoolReader, but its behavior differs dramatically between the GTK and Qt interfaces, and spacing between words is broken to the point of being unusable. FBReader has dozens of bugs; sometimes it decides to hyphenate every word in the book. Calibre is not usable because it's developed by a MacOSfaggot who doesn't understand RGB LCDFilter font rendering. MuPDF similiarly doesn't have proper text antialiasing; nor do any of the readers using it as a library. KOReader can run on desktop, but it really shouldn't, and again, no RGB text rendering. Okular and whatever the fuck Mate's PDF viewer is just krash. Gnome's ebook viewer is some hipster shit that refuses to open books; you're supposed to keep your books in $XDG_DOCUMENT_FUCOFF and have an external service index it, before the app will read them. So the only option for reading books on Linux is Foliate. Unfortunately, Foliate has a very Gnome-influenced GTK interface, and there is no means whatsoever of visually indicating that Foliate's window is the focused window under Openbox.

>should not be a point of controversy
These autistic niggers will argue over terminal colors.

>WHO CARES WHEN YOU CAN JUST COPY PASTE TEXT
>JUST CTRL C CTRL V

your brain is small and you likely use Gnome

unless you close the window first because linux has two clipboards for some fucking reason

TOP KEK
That was a good thread. Ironically the solution is to use GNOME.
archive.wakarimasen.moe/g/thread/86084844/

>competituon between DEs is harmless
not necessarily. the more users a certain de has the more feedback developers get about bugs and ux. still, autism here on Any Forums has always been off the charts.

i installed xubuntu this morning and struggled to get the taskbar onto my primary monitor. my main monitor is in front of me while my second monitor is on the left.

the taskbar seems to default to the left-most monitor in the display settings page.

what gives?