Why does everyone use Artix and not this?

Why does everyone use Artix and not this?
-Artix has more init options
-Artix has a larger community/dev team

Are those the only reasons? I'm just curious why Artix took off and has gotten relatively popular, whereas Obarun never really picked up speed. Obarun also debatably follows closer to direct Arch than Artix does, as Obarun by default has all the Arch repos loaded in (I know you can add them to Artix post-install).
First impressions of Obarun in a VM were pretty good but granted I didn't do much with it yet besides install/update/load some common software.

Attached: Obarun.jpg (963x540, 53.68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.obarun.org/software/
repo.obarun.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

systemd is not a serious problem

runit and OpenRC are better known due to their use in Void and Gentoo.

Also, I don't want to think about Obama when I boot my system.

I have no strong feelings for or against systemd, there are some parts of it I like and others that I don't.
I've noticed though that almost all of my small annoyances with Arch have been a result of systemd behavior (services hanging shutdowns), so when I eventually format for whatever reason, I wanted to try something with OpenRC or S66.

Yes, why indeed

Attached: Screenshot_2022-03-20-14-37-26-903_org.mozilla.fenix.jpg (1080x2400, 315.85K)

Yes, it's the latest one available

Attached: Screenshot_2022-03-20-14-38-41-961_org.mozilla.fenix.jpg (1080x2400, 278.01K)

Yeah, as I mentioned I'm aware Artix is more actively developed and has a bigger team, I'm just wondering why it came out like that.

Also I may be wrong but I think the Obarun repos, or all that "development" is literally just for S66. Otherwise you're just installing a live Arch image, so it's still "up to date". Not sure if I'm mistaken about anything there but that was what I gathered from installing it in the VM and reading their wiki.

Attached: excuse me wtf.jpg (2050x1214, 199.54K)

I never heard of it. I'm going to take a guess that it came out after Artix already got enough following. It would have to have a concrete advantage over Artix.
>Obarun by default has all the Arch repos loaded in (I know you can add them to Artix post-install).
It's a very minor thing when adding them in Artix is easy and the average user would want to tinker with the system anyway.

I'm actually not sure if Artix or Obarun came out first. Obarun has been around at least since 2018 if not maybe a little earlier, no idea on Artix.

Artix obviously has more movement and hype behind it, just wondering why. You can also get S66 on Artix now.

It's not a question of active development, but of basic security

Even though you still get 100% up to date Arch packages on Obarun immediately post install?

this repo isn't syncd with the arch one

"Repo isn't synced with the Arch one"
I'm not sure what you're saying, on Obarun you literally have the exact same mirrorlist as Arch so there's nothing to sync.

The only software in the Obarun repos as far as I'm aware is the 66 tools, hell I think even S6 itself is sourced from the AUR and Obarun just slaps the 66 scripts on top of it.

Mean to post this but I'm retarded

web.obarun.org/software/
^That looks like it may be the full list of what Oba actually provides in their own repos. Otherwise it's just Arch.

Attached: IMG_20220320_145829.jpg (1080x2400, 341.45K)

Ah, yeah if I dig around here there's definitely a lot more Oba packages that don't line up with Arch:

repo.obarun.org/

Point proven, thank you for helping me dig through some of this.

Cool
If you care, try reaching out to maintainers

Because the bald techno söylosopher shilled it and every 13 year old 4 chinner who had nothing to do in the quarantine decided to install it.

Attached: 1647785230741.png (460x460, 258.49K)

because luke smith and distrotube made a video about artix.

Artix came out in 2017. Earliest news post I saw on Obarun website was from 2019, but if it's 2018 then it's not much newer compared to Artix to make a difference there.

Even before that happened, Artix had much more traction.

Not a lot of people are aware of this, but Artix's originates date back to the arch-openrc/manjaro-openrc projects. I don't recall exactly when those started but I think it was back around 2014, so it's pretty old. Manjaro-openrc even enjoyed official status for a while. The devs on those projects decided to combine their efforts and that's how Artix was born. So users that were already running arch-openrc or majaro-openrc boxes naturally migrated.

Another point in Artix's favor, in terms of popularity, is the init system. Obarun uses S66 which is pretty obscure/niche and much more so a few years ago. On the other hand, Artix started off with openrc as an init which is one many more people are familiar and comfortable with (runit came shortly later).

Thank you for the info.
Like I said earlier, currently on Arch but I'd like to at least try out another init when I eventually format - There are some things I like about systemd, and other parts that are obnoxious/ugly, so I'm at least open to trying something else. Will probably do Artix+OpenRC.

Attached: 1646284521150.jpg (575x570, 56.11K)