/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Read the sticky: >Unix/Linux questions >Windows questions >PC building? >Programming questions >Good, cheap laptops >Cheap electronics >Server questions >Buying headphones How to find/activate any version of Windows?
rentry.org/installwindows

Previous:

Attached: question.png (512x512, 5.73K)

I wanted to buy my mom a good charger for mother's day because her original one broke and I know she wanted a small one,
But her laptop has a weird input of 15v 4.33a and the one I wanted to buy was anker nano II 65w because of how small and trusted it is, but it provides 15v 3a / 20V 3.25a,
Will the charger break trying to supply 4.33a? Do you have other recommendations, anons?

Help me find arguments to get a macbook over the default shitty HP laptop from my new employee

Attached: 1644617618934.png (301x301, 127.94K)

Reposting here cause the old thread is dead.

What's the best "dumb" phone that has good call/speaker quality? I just want to use it for texting and calling I can't be fucked with all the extra distractions a normal phone comes with.

Attached: 1574520445670.png (640x640, 820.21K)

I know it's not a dumb phone but I use rooted hisense A5 with an eink screen, far less distracting than normal one, not that expensive and great for reading books

which one looks better?

Attached: file.png (1461x1075, 374.36K)

ok I decided on the fist one, but I think it's a little long for balthasar

Attached: file.png (1761x1250, 951.9K)

Got a old dell xps 8100 i7 870 with no graphics card. Is there any use for it or should I just throw it away?

Do any mediatek smartphones actually able to be bootloader unlocked? I have some lying around unused and I want to put on a custom rom on it

Attached: 1647778998150.jpg (2048x1363, 288.46K)

easily the 1st

Nokia X1-00, snoy Xperia 1/5 iii, or Xiaomi mi 11

Since young I used to enjoy having a backup installer for every software, games, mods etc. backed up in an offline install-able way. How would you do this with Linux?
For windows I can have XP or 7 .iso files backed up, have the service packs backed up, have the installers for the software I want, have drivers etc. whatever backed up and install them without internet no problem. On linux it's all package managers, dependencies and whatnot, everything assumes you got internet on that machine and short of mirroring the full install I don't see the same practicality of windows in this regard. Don't "proprietary media packages" need online to install even on ubuntu?
How would you achieve something similar on Linux that I do for windows? I've seen snaps and flatpacks and whatnot but nothing ever works the way it "should".
Also stupid question, but with modern software it seems every installer is just some browser that downloads the files for you instead of a packaged installer. Is there a way to tell the online installers apart from the offline ones in cases where the file size is not a dead giveaway?

Can someone explain what exactly UMA frame buffer actually do?

Am I stupid? I think I am.

An iGPU shares its RAM with the CPU. That's UMA. There's a fixed split size.

My generic USB playstation controller clearly have vibration motor in and I want to use it in my game but how?

Attached: 1647781061344.jpg (1024x576, 51.73K)

Linux thread is down so I will ask here. Which distro should I install, ubuntu or debian? I mainly want to use linux for programming (c syscalls etc) and maybe to try setting up servers (which I won't be running from the same pc). I like using vim and the command line for everything when programming, but since I install on a pc I would also like to have browsers and such utilities

ubuntu if you want to use software which wasn't released 23 years ago

depending on your job, "i need *insert mac only programming app*"

good question, tagging along for an answer.
i'm sticking to wondows for that reason alone, the fact that i can have a tb just backing up a few .exe files that'll still work 5 years from now is much comfier than linux

debian if youre straight

I accidentally swallowed a jolly rancher am I going to die?