A Horrible Realization

As we probably all know, in recent years it has become increasingly hard to download and save content from streaming services. This is due to the advent of advanced DRM systems (Google Widevine, Microsoft PlayReady, etc) that run in TEEs (trusted execution environments), essentially meaning that the content is protected from copying at a hardware level. These DRM systems are capable of some very advanced behavior, such as preventing screen capture.

So, where am I going with this? These advanced DRM systems could be integrated with NFTs, preventing the saving and screenshotting of them. This would be a horrible future, but in my opinion it is a distinct possibility, as they could easily be integrated into existing DRM systems, especially on mobile devices. I'm honestly surprised this hasn't already happened (or maybe it has, and I'm oblivious).

I posted this here rather than as it relates to the technical side of TEE DRM; please don't delete jannies.

Attached: widevine.png (1607x628, 22.69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Sandbox/Process_model#GMP_process_.28Widevine.2C_Primetime.2C_OpenH264.29
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_hole
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No shit retard, the entire point of NFTs and all this blockshit is to build next generation DRM.

currently there is no asset protection on NFTs tho

There are on opensea and forks markets, also the whole blockchain is an asset protection in a way. If disney.eth mint the first mandalorian, yours one will be shit then

NFT gremlins seethe over "screenshitting" though. This would further validate them and the medium.

widevine DRM subverts the model of "when you go to a website, everything's sandboxed and it cant fuck up your system"
apparently google has the right to botnet your computer to protect Cuties 2 (2023) from piracy

This, trusted execution environments shouldn't exist at all. There's no reason shit like this should come preinstalled on all my devices.

Firefox tries to mitigate this by sandboxing the Widevine module and preventing it from access the network/reading-writing to disk arbitrarily
wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Sandbox/Process_model#GMP_process_.28Widevine.2C_Primetime.2C_OpenH264.29

Attached: 1647765108065.png (1390x549, 157.73K)

I believe at the moment, desktop browsers only support Widevine L3, which is implemented wholly in software, and doesn't actually run in a TEE; this could change though. I think new Edge implements PlayReady in a TEE from what I've heard.

Well, Edge doesn't really implement PlayReady, Windows MediaFoundation implements hardware playready support

Ah, I don't really know much about PlayReady. I have however spent a considerable amount of time trying to crack Widevine L3 on Chrome with very limited success. The amount of obfuscation on those binaries is draconian.

Cant we just use a 8k video camera to record the screen and just use stereo mix to record the sound

sure?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_hole

Could a more involved method involve just "siphoning" the pixel data from a display panel? Like instead of the pixel information going to an actual lcd its just going into some sort of device? im a retard sorry but i think this is logical

>I can't screenshot NFTs!
Not my problem. Blockchain hardware-level protected DRM sounds like enterprise-grade anti-piracy for everyone. If anything, this might mean indie titles and movies will be very slightly harder to pirate.

>Could a more involved method involve just "siphoning" the pixel data from a display panel?
HDMI capture card. just use some hardware that doesnt support HDCP

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_hole
There will always be loopholes. 4K web downloads of Netflix shows still exist (likely done by private piracy groups with exploitable android devices or stolen keys). DRM is meant to stop the layman, not the expert.

>pirate indie films
if this is a problem, we have to address the glaring issue of people breaking into water treatment plants to steal raw sewage

If I recall correctly you can cut a certain line on an HDMI cable to achieve this.

>This, trusted execution environments shouldn't exist at all

If we didn't have faggets running wild cheating in video games and rekt'ing corporate networks I would agree.

I don't care how many people cheat in VALORANT, that's no excuse for this bullshit to come baked into all my hardware.

Well it certainly doesn't seem to be stopping them, does it

>The amount of obfuscation on those binaries is draconian.
if there's obfuscation, couldn't you just dump RAM to get a fully uncompressed/unencrypted image?

Sadly it's not that simple. The data will be decrypted out of order, in chunks, etc. There are also quite a few anti-debugging measures. The only real way to get a good look at the memory while it's running is using some sort of a hypervisor, which is just a pain in the ass.