/wdg/ - Web Development General

>Free beginner resources to get started with HTML, CSS, JavaScript and PHP
eloquentjavascript.net/Eloquent_JavaScript.pdf - A modern introduction to JavaScript
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - A good starting point to learn about web dev fundamentals
javascript.info/ - Quite a good JS tutorial
freecodecamp.org - Curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
theodinproject.com - Curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, and either Ruby on Rails / SQL, or Node.js / MongoDB
fullstackopen.com/en/ - Requires you to have basic web dev, db and git knowledge
flexboxfroggy.com/ and cssgridgarden.com/ - Learn flex/grid in CSS
phptherightway.com/ - A decent PHP resource
phptutorial.net - A PHP tutorial

>List of design resources
github.com/bradtraversy/design-resources-for-developers

>All useful documentation in one place
devdocs.io

>Need help? Create an example and post the link
jsfiddle.net - if you need help with HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org - if you need help with PHP/HackLang
codesandbox.io - if you need help with React/Angular/Vue

We have own website: wdg.one
Submit your project progress updates using the following format in your posts (the scraper will pick it up):
:: my-project-title ::
dev:: user
tools:: node, react, etc
link:: my.website.com
repo:: github.com/user/repo
progress:: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Previous:

Attached: apps-for-web-designers.jpg (1920x1032, 256.59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fullstackopen.com/en/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm writing something that I was thinking of putting on GitHub for employers to see, so I want to make sure I'm following best practices

Werks on my machine.
I can right click, highlight and copy text.

Attached: 1594464183859.jpg (702x478, 26.89K)

Speaking for myself, but I wouldn't care much about minor differences in coding style if I look at a candidates GitHub repositories. I'd be looking for complexity of project & the architectural decisions they've made, like using appropriate data structures and how they might structure classes.

u guys using loonix or what's the deal? Can't click on chrome or ff

can you see it here?

Attached: Screenshot 2022-03-19 211149.png (878x1150, 137.75K)

So you wouldn't care about line length? The style guide that I'm going by recommends 80 character lines, but says this could go up to 100 or 120 chars if a team agrees on it. I've settled on 100, I think that's reasonable, and it fits my own laptop screen without being too long.

Surely if you saw a candidate who regularly had lines up to 200 chars then you'd think that's a bit bad right?

Yes im using linux but that's not the reason.
It's called browser Addon's / Extension.
I have them on disabled unless I visit a website that doesn't want to cooperate.
Pic related.

Attached: addons_extensions.png (938x544, 91.5K)

>I have enable disabled unless it's disabled on a website in which case I enable the enable in order to enable the disable on the website

> Surely if you saw a candidate who regularly had lines up to 200 chars then you'd think that's a bit bad right?
Bad, according to who? a code is only bad if it doesn't work.
It's a matter or personal preferences and each individual has their own way of doing things.
Unless a team decided to standardize things like what you see in frameworks.

also see

Fair enough. I'm going to enforce a line limit in what I'm making at the moment though because it seems in the language I'm using (Ruby) line limits are quite a standard thing.
>also see
Minified code is obviously different though, it's normal for that to be minified to a single line

I feel fucking great. I originally made a python backend app to use as an api where it would make some computations based on the user's input, but as my dataset grew it became impossible to deploy for free. Then I realized that the user's input is pretty much bounded on a finite set of values. So, I ran the computations beforehand and now instead of needing a backend where to make computations using 500mb csv files, I have a 500kb json file that I can easily explore on the frontend, that now I can deploy as a static site for free.
Of course, the downside is having to pre-process the data, that takes a couple hours, but still it's fucking great.

clap clap

does anyone have a portfolio site for me that i can copy?

Attached: pfeil.png (40x33, 880)

im from germany so you wouldnt really need to worry about competition

Help a brainlet out /wdg/. I have what I believe is a solid idea for a website: without getting into details it would be a small database of selected YouTube creators that users would be able to search through. I picture a Google-like homepage, a search bar front and center, you type in what you're looking for, no complex algorithm just word-for-word matches on the database, and the results show up on a search page.

Problem is I have zero clue how to do that. And by zero clue I mean I only learned yesterday what HTML, CSS are about, I only know of Java because the little cup logo would show up on Newgrounds loading screens ages ago, and wtf is PHP. I have basic MySQL experience from uni but I haven't used it since. So I did what every good normie would: went to the google, searched "how to make a website", read a couple articles, and made an account with one of the many website builders out there (Webflow). Between me playing around with it and their video tutorials the thing is starting to take shape but as I'm doing that I'm also learning more about the limitations of the platform (especially regarding the database, which they refer to as CMS) and now I worry this project might be doomed from the start.

I feel I'm in a zugzwang now, so I ask for some guidance: am I making some big noob mistake here? Am I biting more than I can chew with this interactive-database-website-thing? What honest, realistic advice would you give?

Attached: a7e.png (600x611, 228.49K)

What would you be searching for?
Site builders like Webflow are only useful for basic sites like blogs or information, what you're looking for is more custom.
You basically want to look at what a CRUD system is, where a site interacts with a database to search, add, update and delete entries.

your idea sound simple and cms would be overkill. but you really need to learn html and javascript either way to understand what you are actually trying to do. js is the logic of your site, you need php to connect your website to your database. but to be succsefull you need marketing too and seo optimization, its not a small feat you are trying to do here as a normie

So wait
I can just open any random website that I think looks cool, open the dev tools and copy their html and css and there is nothing they can do against it?
That seems so op

Attached: bigthink.png (835x768, 537.24K)

you can sure but all that means is you have a static site with the same layout and none of the interactivity

>What would you be searching for?
If you meant "what would you be searching for in the database" it would be just the names of the creators.

>Site builders like Webflow are only useful for basic sites like blogs or information
That's what I feared.

>CRUD system
I remember the concept from the MySQL course, but that's about it.

>you really need to learn html and javascript
>js is the logic of your site
>you need php to connect your website to your database
Are you saying I absolutely must go through the process of learning HTML, Java, and PHP and also refresh MySQL just to get started? Damn, I remember just installing and setting up MySQL was not straightforward and, worse than that, uninstalling it. What about hosting the site? Even if I knew how, I can't possibly run it from my stupid little laptop can I? Is there no such thing as a "website previewer"?

>marketing too and seo optimization
First things first. I'd be happy just to see this idea materialize, optimization can wait.

I thought this could be a fun little side project but fuck me.

you can "steal" what you can see but not what it can do.

>If you meant "what would you be searching for in the database" it would be just the names of the creators.
Okay, but what gets returned? Just a list of their videos? Why shouldn't I just use YouTube at that point?

And yes, you would have to learn all that (Java is not JavaScript, by the way). You can host the site from your laptop but it requires port fowarding and exposes yourself to security issues, so it's better to have it live on a cloud server instead. You can run a server locally to help you develop it though (look up the LAMP/LEMP stacks)

>Are you saying I absolutely must go through the process of learning HTML, Java, and PHP and also refresh MySQL

well i dont know how well versed you are in programming but prolly yes. hosting is easy if you know computer apps basics

Do this course, at least until part 4 or 5.
fullstackopen.com/en/