/hsg/ + /hng/ - Home server + Home Networking general

/hsg/ + /hng/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>Why should I have a home server?
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your Any Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.

>Links & resources
Server tips: anonbin.io/?1759c178f98f6135#CzLuPx4s2P7zuExQBVv5XeDkzQSDeVkZMWVhuecemeN6
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
labgopher.com
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/
forums.servethehome.com
Optimal routers for OpenWrt: openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_available_16128
OPNSense: opnsense.org/
PfSense: pfsense.org/
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E

Attached: 007c794f8495814e5071079e10ae0cbb103b2194_2_1024x768.jpg (1024x768, 270.95K)

What is the best way to block services on OPNSense? It doesn't support pfBlocker.

>tfw had a huge issue with a hard drive refusing to work
>turns out the screws in the hotswap tray were too thick
Remember to always use the right screws lads.

Sensei ships with it, doesn't it?

please stop making duplicate threads so you can shoehorn networking into it. just ask your networking Q in /hsg/ like everyone else has been doing since the general has been a thing.

Attached: 1628178547934.png (1106x292, 77.67K)

I am the closest thing to an it guy that my company has.
We have been hiring a lot of AI devs and they use gpu compute, i have 6 consumer consumer cases under my desk, they aré imposible to mantain and most importantly they are wasting resources, once gpu could easily fulfill the needs of 3 developers (we have 3090s)
Played around with proxmox but i couldn’t get the damn thing to work with gpu pass though.
Should i just make x docker instances and just pass them gpu access?

Nope, not happening idiot.

Is cat7 worth it yet?

reminder op is a massive faggot

Attached: 1647611341563.png (1195x166, 56.45K)

Reminder that you're severely mentally ill.

>Son why are you rebooting our modem so often?
>"because I MUST shit up generals in Any Forums!"

Attached: 1640729608465.png (320x60, 5.72K)

What advantages does OPNSense have over PfSense? Other than non-fag owners.

A lot of it comes down to different design philosophy. Its really a matter of preference, and there's a good video that goes through all the differences.

None.

Use openwrt instead.

So I built a NAS, put RockStor on it, fiddle around with it for an afternoon, shut it down and haven't turned it on since.

I just don't see the point, I got 2 1TB drives and 2 500GB drives in their and it's useless unless I go out and buy like 4*8TB drives and even then it'll have barely the same amount of space as my main computer.
I have no other computers on the home network that needs serving. I don't need OwnCloud.
I got 6TB of non-cloud service FTP space offsite...

I even got this appliance looking case for it.

proper thread:

Hey frens, is pic worth it as a starter server?
It's about 100 dolars and the same seller has ram and storage for almost nothing too.

Attached: 1647655390653.png (986x1661, 737.9K)

nah

The problem with these older preowned servers is high power consumption, and they're noisy. See if you can at least replace the PSU.

Backup your main PC locally so you follow 3-2-1 backup. Run plex/emby on your NAS so you can stream your tv/movies across the house/internet without your mainPC on all the time.

>replace the PSU
fans*

The whole point is to use your main PC less

It's literally the only thing I have though.
I don't like using my phone, and my TV is just a 40" dumb TV.
Why buy a bunch of consumerist devices when I just only need 1 computer, 3 screens and a TV?

>it's useless
Welcome to the homeserver world, no one of the faggots here have a real use for it, its just a waste of time and money but they pretend that their bullshit have any meaning to don't feel so retarded

I'm thinking of getting off the dropbox tit for my small business. 4 of us each paying for 1TB of dropbox is fine (it just works, is normie-friendly) - but the new shit they're pulling with all the integration and bullshit is breaking this camels back. Syncthing on a linode server maybe?