How viable is Steam Deck as your main computer?

How viable is Steam Deck as your main computer?

Attached: Steam-Deck-wont-be-more-powerful-once-you-put-it.jpg (1072x670, 65.4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email protected]/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

As viable as any quad-core Zen 2 computer. You're gonna need more storage if you bought the 64 GB but the rest of the specs are alright.

not at all, the windows drivers are terrible and it isn't made for any distro other than steamOS.

>it isn't made for any distro other than steamOS
SteamOS is Arch with a different interface. Install mesa-git and the latest kernel, it will work fine.

What is stopping chinks from copying the os and hardware?

The price seems very competitive though.

don't ask me how i know this but microsoft is now working on a handheld console too called 'xbox go'

with steamos you can't install anything but flatpaks that won't be removed with a system update, so not really usable for a main desktop computer. hopefully other distros will get all functionality of steamos without read-only so you could just run vanilla arch or debian without drawbacks in comparison to steamos.

>SteamOS is Arch with a different interface
no it isn't, it's a fork of arch with it's own repos and an embedded system for using the GOG launcher and Lutris, and minimal support for flatpaks. If you want to do anything other than open steam or a browser, you're going to have a bad time. If you install something else on it, you lose most of the functionality of the device.

Basically a 4 Core Ultrabook with great great RAM and GPu performance.

Attached: 1647208894067.jpg (4000x3000, 1.22M)

m$ is overdue for a rebranding. xb one is intentionally a final installment of the name. they ought to learn from zuck and semi-ironically get a fresh name for their console line from a 1982 william gibson novel

doesn't even look good to play Any Forums
scrolling on this in all the videos i've seen has looked terrible

>If you install something else on it, you lose most of the functionality of the device
Not if you want to use it as a main computer. It's going to have the same performance. Valve upstreamed everything. Windows is just shit.

>Valve upstreamed everything
why are you making shit up? the steamOS repos only have drivers and what is needed to use steam. if you want to use steamOS as your "main computer" you are literally going to be confined to steam and a browser, and maybe a few apps from flathub. If you mean install vanilla Arch or another distro, the controls do not function at all outside of steam without a mouse and keyboard, and you will have to tinker a lot to get the same optimizations valve was providing through steamOS.

>If you mean install vanilla Arch or another distro, the controls do not function at all outside of steam without a mouse and keyboard
If you're going to use it as your main computer you obviously have a mouse and keyboard, retard.
>and you will have to tinker a lot to get the same optimizations valve was providing through steamOS
No, you really don't. Use Mesa Git or 22.0 from the testing repo and the latest Linux kernel. It seems the platform driver won't be upstreamed until 5.18 but you can apply it manually. If there are any other optimizations Valve made then show me.
lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email protected]/

>Use Mesa Git or 22.0 from the testing repo and the latest Linux kernel.
>It seems the platform driver won't be upstreamed until 5.18 but you can apply it manually.
nigger, op asked how viable it is. It's not, nobody is going to spend 700 dollars on a 500gb handheld device and call it a computer, especially when you have to do all that shit AND plug a mouse and keyboard into it AND lower the resolution to get even half the FPS that you would from just using steamOS.

>microshit windaids

ISHYGDDT

I'm on a dual core laptop and my entire system draws 40W max. I would be so happy to get one of those you have no idea

>nigger, op asked how viable it is
I'm assuming OP is asking how viable it would be to use the Steam Deck as your main computer by plugging in a monitor and mouse+KB.
>nobody is going to spend 700 dollars on a 500gb handheld device and call it a computer
It's a standard AMD x86 PC. It's a computer.
>AND lower the resolution to get even half the FPS that you would from just using steamOS
You're looking at it from a wintoddler perspective. The Steam Deck is running the latest version of AMDGPU and Mesa, there's no Valve "secret sauce" that only SteamOS has access to (and even if there was, Valve has to comply with open source licenses). This is the same driver that I've been using on my RX 580 for years. It would run just as well on standard Arch Linux with a standard DE or WM.

>What is stopping chinks from copying the os and hardware?

Nothing, I don't think. Win either way for valve, GOG and epic didn't seem interested in developing for Steam Deck, so valve will have a nice monopoly on all the games normies buy.

That being said, even if the chinks did make a similarly priced product, I'd still trust valve to make better quality components/support their own hardware for longer.

If I can ssh into, I might use it to run some AI shit, but not much else.

>nobody is going to spend 700 dollars on a 500gb handheld device and call it a computer,
I'd probably buy the $400 model, a USB-C dock and an external hard-drive on sale, personally.