Porting OS X 10.6 to Linux

I've never been a big Mac fan (I had to use iMacs in high school design class and two out of my ten computers at the time were ancient PowerPCs running early OS X), but it's hard to argue that Mac OS X 10.5/10.6 (Snow) Leopard has one of the best UIs in the history of computers.

If it still looked anything like this, I might be tempted to buy a Mac as a side computer, but the newer macOS branded releases don't look anywhere near as good. The one cool thing about macOS is that it's a UNIX, but one that objectively does less than Linux and only slightly better software support than *BSD. I already know how to sync stuff between Lunix and my Android phone (most Mac users I know seem to think this is macOS's ultimate selling point), and the transition to bastardized ARM processors means that it won't even be able to install Windows or any Linux distro with Proton support, so I can't justify dropping $2000 on that nonsense as a poorfag.

But I might be willing to ignore all that if it looked anything like this anymore. Maybe Steve Jobs' life wasn't a complete waste? At least he knew how to make Mac stuff look appealing.

Anyways, I'm interested in porting/cloning the OX 10.6 UI to KDE Plasma, but I have no idea where to start. North Korea did it, though, so it can't be impossible. Where do I start when it comes to creating new Plasma and/ior Kvantum themes? Point me in the direction of some literature if you know of any.

I downloaded a VMWare image of 10.6, and I know my way around GIMP, so I can probably hack something together with a little bit of effort. Cloning the dock should be easy with a slightly modified Cairo theme, but I'm not even sure where to start with the top bar.

I might try looking into North Korea's distro to see how they did it, too.

Also, general 10.5/10.6 UI appreciation thread, might have been the only awesome thing Apple ever did

Attached: MacOS-10.5.4-Desktop.png (1024x768, 767.02K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hellosystem.github.io/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Red Star OS has the top bar working. How did they do that?

Attached: red-star-os-2-100537614-orig.png (1024x769, 372.06K)

global menu widget

also, snow leopard was the best macos release in general, bought a mac running monterey as a side computer recently and it's definitely not as good as it used to be

you might want to try this user
hellosystem.github.io/

Attached: 1628860682145.jpg (680x383, 34.54K)

North Koreans make better DE than gnome. Kek

Won't work. Has been done may times. macOS has polish to the interactions and behaviors you can't replicate in just themes.

Not Op but I'm installing it on a VM to check it out, thanks user

Attached: 1605728736013_1595321157916.jpg (480x533, 33.98K)

you're welcome user, hope it works out for you

bionic puppy 32 bit has that stop light button thing

What did the grey button on top right corner do?

Attached: 156296-laptops-news-feature-apple-s-mac-os-x-is-20-years-old-here-s-why-it-endured-for-19-of-them-image1-tqnnwexl0j-jpg.jpg (660x440, 63.95K)

The DE is actually beautiful.
I wish best Korea would put it on GitHub.

That was a button that toggles the visibility of everything below the window title bar. You could collapse windows for easier window management. No real reason to keep it after they added exposé (now called mission control)

>porting/cloning the OX 10.6 UI
yes, Linux needs a good DE
>to KDE Plasma
DROPPED

Start by porting Display Postscript, then Quartz Compositor, and then the shiny.
Fucking freetards splicing the shiny on top of improper underpinnings and calling it a day.

on nextstep it kept only titlebar visible
on osx it hid toolbar and sidebar

>but it's hard to argue that Mac OS X 10.5/10.6 (Snow) Leopard has one of the best UIs
No it's not. It's a piece of shit.

You do realize, of course, that it's just KDE.

I didn't realize this.

Seems reasonable
Easily hiding toolbar and sidebar would actually be pretty nice even nowadays

It's just KDE3

someone should port this theme to Plasma then.