Is there still any point in building your own router?

Is there still any point in building your own router?

Attached: oontz1-640x480.jpg (640x480, 30.69K)

No.

/thread
Plenty of options on the market these days

yes

Don't listen to these dumb cunt zoomers whose principle activity is playing overwatch and taking estrogen. I have opnsense set up on a computer I built with spare parts. Cost me nothing save for the Intel nic and wifi ap. It shits on your faggoty shaped gaymer rgb faggot boxes:
>SQM traffic shaping
>Per host traffic monitoring
>Hapsproxy
>Letsencrypt
>Wireguard, vlans and dns over TLS
>Adguard
>Etc

true, even market routers are in underuse, best option is to go dumpster diving and make a router out of computer parts people throw because they are retarded.

Install Gentoo

building your own is probably good because you wont have to buy a whole new router every time the eth standard or wifi standard changes and can just get a new network card. I like openwrt though so just pick up chink routers when i need something new

Of course, you can get good value and run many other services on it at the same time.

Attached: omnibox.jpg (2000x1500, 588.33K)

Based

>gentoo as a router os

only if you are actually building it

Attached: mineter-pc-1.png (1920x1055, 482.49K)

bump

Attached: 1643612221922.jpg (1328x885, 208.55K)

only if you enjoy the process

Yes, you can learn alot and tend to get way more compared to most consoomer devices. I ran pfsense for years in a shitbox PC with dual nix. Then switched to Ubuntu using iptables and Dnsmasq. Fun times, learned alot. When I moved I switched to edge router but want to go back to pfsense. It's the GOATtest.

Attached: 03f.jpg (680x510, 48.76K)

This is the first time I have ever heard of people building their own routers, very intriguing.

yes, it's alot of fun if you're into that sort of thing. it can be as easy as buying any PC and installing a second NIC and then installing pfsense. Or it can be as complicated as buying appropriate router-tier gear, installing a linux distro, and setting up all of the services yourself. You can do so much more using something like pfsense than you ever could on 99% of the shit you'd get from the store.

Check out /hsg/, it's not that uncommon, specially on Any Forums.

i have a bunch of spare laptops i can repurpose, might try this.

Oh minetest has redstone. Does also have the completly retarded "quasi connectivity" issue?

if that's the case, you'll need ethernet to usb for an extra nic. These aren't always the most reliable, so it may workout for experimenting but won't be very reliable long term.

Never was

Networklet here, the consensus in a thread the other day was that you need the right integrated circuit and software that can use its hardware acceleration to have a router with speeds competitive with the consumer ones. I didn’t really get if the conclusion was that it’s just not a thing you can do with something like openwrt or if you just need the right hardware and knowledge of how to set it up right. Anyone with more knowledge have any insight?
Moving to a new apartment soon and think that trying this out as a project would be a fun learning experience but I don’t want to end up with worse performance