/ccg/ #3 - Return of the Jedi

/ccg/ - Career and College General
> What is a general about
A central hub for all your career and college questions
> How do I get an IT job
Go to meetups, get a good resume, apply for dozens of jobs, and have one/two solid projects. Establish value and bypass the resume algorithm as much as you can by getting referrals.
> What's a good resume template
LaTeX: overleaf.com/latex/templates/data-science-tech-resume-template/zcdmpfxrzjhv, overleaf.com/latex/templates/cs-slash-it-slash-swe-resume-template/ncxgzcgknkmf, and overleaf.com/latex/templates/resume-template-by-anubhav/dhmkrwtksdgy. Note the code is written shittly.

Doc: templates.office.com/en-us/resume-color-tm02918880 and templates.office.com/en-us/.

In general you should focus on simple, non-intrusive template.
> How do I network
Go to meetups.com, subscribe to any groups on Linkedin/Facebook/Instagram for the field you're intrested in (so IT look up any IT groups in yoru area), join any group chats too. If you are in college/have college friends go to their career fairs. The key is to shake their hand, give a strong impression. It'll have higher chance to succeed

> Some good resources?
Cracking the Code Interview: can't stressed how good it is for IT, even has behavour questions
reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions: plebbit but it's always good to have a second opinon. Plus their wiki reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/wiki/index is nice
indeed.com/career-advice/resume-samples/engineering-resumes/software-engineer?from=careeradvice-US
indeed.com/career-advice/interviewing/how-to-use-the-star-interview-response-technique

> More info?
rentry.org/ccgneets/

Attached: 1644177674944.png (1600x1200, 59.7K)

How good/bad for your career is working with older technologies?

I am currently working on a redhat, perl, sql, apache, C++, react JS technology stack

Get internships during college. I thought everyone knew this but i keep seeing "i just graduated and i don't have any offers, what do i do" threads. An internship at a company you want to work for full-time should be your priority during college.

How do you guys use stock options in companies? I see like in Amazon the pay is 130K, but stocks add an addition 20/40K compensation, and that strikes me as fake. Can you really make money off of stocks from work?
Depends on where your career is. However in your case, you can shill the SQL/C++/React/JS shit to effectiveness
Thanks for the message user, it's super important. Without internships I wouldn't even be in FAGMAN right now

levels.fyi is a good resource, lets you see average salaries you can expect at different companies

>Any Forums
>carrer
pick one

Why is she so perfect bros? When I first watched Evo she made me coom like no other girl in the show. Rei and Askua are a shit.

Maybe someone here can help. I am going through the final interview step for a Software Engineering job for a University's Software Engineering deparent. It would be a lot of back-end work and C programming for some advanced/R&D data capturing for cyber security solutions. Presumedly, they have some solution that captures and ports data, then sends it off to other locations to be processed and such. I'm sure there's a lot more to it, but it requires clearance and need to know, so yeah.

Anyways, for the interview, I have to give a presentation on a related topic that pertains to the job to some degree. I'll be fleshing out the details and try and come to a specific topic tomorrow, but I'm really trying to figure what the hell I could even present on in this regards. My initial thought is some BS with quantum computing/high speed systems and the effects with cyber security and etc, like how such advances in tech would break cryptography solutions and etc and then offer some countermeasures if that were the case, but yeah. I kind of feel like since this is a team that specializes in cyber security, it may be a bit boring and they may want something more different. Anyone have any other ideas or similar experiences? I'm still pretty young and have limited work experience especially relevant to this (outside of my current job being DoD contract work), so I can't talk much about certain things I did. Kind of seems like they just want a relevant topic to exercise the candidates presentation and communication skills, but again, I've never done this before.

How to get an internship if you haven't done so yet? Going back to school eventually and I really want to get these stuff done.

If your school has career fairs, campus recruiters, or any other way to get connected to companies that are hiring, you should take advantage of those. You can also apply online to internship positions, they'll usually say that they're looking for people currently pursuing a degree in CS or something.

Maybe look up conferences online, maybe read up current research.
Go to your career services and ask them for help

Thanks, will do

i like this general

Thank you

Attached: file.png (922x619, 828.48K)

Just snagged a job out of college. Took about two months of applying and tweaking my resume until I got it right. Keep going anons, you’ll make it.

Attached: 45D3A239-858F-40D4-9A44-9349194A52E9.jpg (689x800, 94.9K)

>third year cs student
>got a remote summer job as a "full stack developer" for the federal government
>$23.67/hr beaver bucks
I have no idea how to do what they're asking me to do but at least i'll be able to panic google things from the comfort of my own home

May god bless you
Build contacts. Never knew what you can get. Also, not sure how Canadian HR works, but I know in US you can say whatever you want on resume. So you can alter what you did for the government to be whatever, and say they have a no reference policy. Just a simple trick

i got in on a student work experience program so they must assume you have no practical experience. I'm concerned because I want do a good job and web dev is a new frontier for me

>about to graduate college
>retarded ADHD slacker
>2.6 GPA
>couldn't get an internship but work for university in IT related capacities, doing things like computer deployments, network management, and general repairs
How fucked am I?

Attached: 1644833365258.png (1195x1611, 2.3M)

big tech folks make so much that they should be able to retire fairly early on in their career, but does that actually happen in practice? anyone know big tech people who worked for

My job is 107k + bonus (25%, abnormally high frankly) + RSUs (about 60k/yr worth).