You Are Self-Hosting Your E-Mail Right?

Why aren't you self-hosting your e-mail yet? Mailcow literally just werks, and takes 10 minutes to setup. 2 years no blocklists, no issues, just werks. Just use a VPS that allows mail port, and choose a non-retarded TLD (.com) and enjoy.
mailcow.github.io/mailcow-dockerized-docs/

Attached: 1622538427804.png (1189x654, 45.39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

poolp.org/posts/2019-09-14/setting-up-a-mail-server-with-opensmtpd-dovecot-and-rspamd/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

already using cock li, thanks

I'm self-hosting without docker or containers or gay nushit like that.

This helped me get it up:
poolp.org/posts/2019-09-14/setting-up-a-mail-server-with-opensmtpd-dovecot-and-rspamd/

But I am, I use iRedMail.
Everyone should host their own email for them and their family and friends.

>'moo' - cow + whale = love
what did they mean by this?

I don't understand how to realistically change my email. I've had a google account for 10 years and switching all of my accounts and stuff over to a new email would be basically impossible. I feel like I am stuck with these kikes.

Also it's demotivating to switch anyways since email is such an outdated and retarded form of communication anyways. Might as well just not make my own mail server when Google's will always be up anyways, right?

The normie stockholm syndrone botnet cuckhold mentality folks. This is why humanity is destined to be enslaved and die in a semitic tech dystopia. We got the bad ending.

I used switching to my own domain to also implement a self-hosted password manager (KeepAss) and to weed out unneeded accounts in addition to a unique email for each account (using a catchall).
Just set up your email on your domain (self-hosted or otherwise), forward your gmail and change shit whenever something arrives via gmail and you have time.
By doing this once, you'll be set for the rest of your e-mail life now

I just don't see how it is better enough to justify switching. It's not like I'll have any more privacy. Email is an inherently open protocol.
Is it worth the extra $5 a month?

unlimited e-mail addresses under my own name/alias?
no spam/unwanted newsletters due to each site getting an address only for them that I can block with a single click?
not being tied to a single company?
For me it's absolutely worth it, but YMMV.

This is fine to do for migration, but to just have everything go to gmail and the just automatically forward to your self-hosted solution is fucking retarded. It defeats 90% of the reason to have the self-hosted solution, because everything is still being processed and scanned/read by g-mail first.
The end goal is also to be able to delete your Google account.

Unfortunately, what will need to be done is to go into every single account you have, and manually change the e-mail to your self-hosted option. Then give it time, if you no longer see e-mails going to your gmail (or only ones you don't care about) then delete it.
>It's not like I'll have any more privacy
You will. G-mail can and does scan/read all of your e-mails. As do most other mail suites (especially free ones). You also have no control over your e-mails. They are all being stored on Google's servers, which can go down at anytime (this can be resolved by downloading offline, yes.), and incoming/outgoing mail can be blocked/censored without you even knowing.

The same concepts apply to storage suites such as Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. You do not run the server, do not expect control, and do not expect only you to have access to the data. Someone else will be able to see everything. They are also more likely to be targeted for an attack which in turn will cause massive data leaks.

Hmm. Yeah I guess this would make sense for the power users. As a zoomer, I only actually send an email maybe two or three times a year at most. I also keep my inbox as clean as possible, so I always have less than 10 emails total and delete the ones that I no longer need. I only get maybe 1-2 emails each week total.

..Other benefits is the ability to have essentially unlimited e-mail addresses due to aliases, the ability to block exactly what you want, etc.
The only downside is there is no real anonymity because you need a domain and ideally a VPS to self-host it on. (You can probably set it up locally on a server, then use the VPS as a proxy to avoid anyone who blocks your ISP's IP ranges.. but that's a bit more complicated). The easiest way is to just install it on a VPS (ideally download your e-mails locally to have them backed up).
Of course there is the argument that you don't fully control the VPS, hence my suggestion with hosting locally. Another option is your own server at a data center. I believe that mail is stored encrypted (at least with Mailcow) so both of those isn't a major issue for snooping eyes but I could be wrong.

The gmail forwarding is just to enable easy migration.
You can delete your google account once you feel like there is nothing of relevance being sent there.
It has also the immediate effect of not having to directly connect to google services and it's fucky IMAP log-in until you end up deleting it.

Also, use a local email client to keep a backup, makes switching services even easier.

>own email server
>hosted on a VPS
kek

I like the idea of having my own email server running locally, but does this not open up my network to external attackers? I may be retarded.

>I may be retarded
You are. Don't even bothering trying to run a mail server

mailcow + docker

Host it on a VPS
and learn to RTFM

Fuck you bud I'm gonna do it even worse now.

mailu.io is less of a resource hog