Im considering buying a Thinkpad x220. I will watch videos, code and browse the interwebs. Is it good enough...

Im considering buying a Thinkpad x220. I will watch videos, code and browse the interwebs. Is it good enough? What do you guys think about it?

Attached: Lenovo TP X220_R2 (1).jpg (2780x3203, 1.41M)

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes it's obviously good enough for that use, but why don't you buy an x230?

It has a "chicklet" keyboard, which ive heard from some videos that it is worse than the keyboard on the older models, which dont have gaps. Is that true or is it just a meme?

Yes, it's fine for everything except gayming

you can swap it for a x220 keyboard

The keyboard is basically the same but with different shaped keycaps, it's subjective.
For around $15 and some tape, you can buy an x220 keyboard and swap it into the x230.

Ive never modified hardware/switched out computer parts in my life, I dont know if im capable of doing it. How hard is replacing the keyboard?

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads

Physically, it's pretty simple and bulletproof, as long as you follow the instructions. Can be done in like 5 minutes.
If you're tech illiterate then reflashing the embedded controller might be difficult, I suppose.

Is the x230 so much better than x220?

yes it would be "difficult", as difficult as running software onto a USB drive then booting off it. someone on here or /tpg/ would walk him through it for sure.

x230 is better for gayming due to having considerably better GPU when compared to x220

both GPUs are horseshit but x230 is still considerably better GPU

x230 is tolerable for minecraft gaming while x220 isn't (I mean the GPU speed, both CPUs are equally fast in CPU tasks in Minecraft)

I heard the x230 is harder to Coreboot but I'm not sure, like it has an "upgraded" IME

t430 or x220, both of these will be more than enough for your tasks

>The xx20 keyboard is printed to have Fn+PageUp activate the Thinklight. However, because this action is actually bound to Fn+Space on the xx30 keyboard, you will need to press Fn+Space to activate the ThinkLight after installing the xx20 keyboard.
i just realised i have a thinklight, lol

It's fine for plebs.

just get a macbook like a normal human being

This
t. pleb

>itoddler
>normal human being

Do I need an IPS display?

No but should want one.

Do I buy a x220 IPS display and install that? or is it not worth it