Internal combustion engines boggle my mind. how did they think of this shit?

internal combustion engines boggle my mind. how did they think of this shit?

Attached: Combustion-Engine-4_1[1].gif (640x480, 3.43M)

it's just the logical step forward from the steam engine

An engine is just an air pump you spray some fuel into and then ignite. You strap a lot of other shit onto it, but at its base its just a piston moving in a confined space that sucks air into the cylinder. There were tons and tons of simplistic engines before we had full internal combustion. You can almost see the direct iterative process that led to modern engines by looking back at different examples.

The crazy part to me is the timing and making a cam shaft in a multi cylinder engine. That's where serious math comes in. Otherwise the principals for a single cylinder two stroke are kind of simple machining.

> hi. i am from a generation that needs to be spoonfed like a retarded toddler
suicide works. also, how are people like you this fucking retarded when you have the internet at your fingertips? HOW? mind boggling.

>humans are amazing, we taught sand how to think

>internal combustion engines boggle my mind
I just want to know where the energy goes. the engine never turns off but you still come to a stop or slowdown, where does the energy go?

When you're driving a car and come to a stop, the transmission is preventing the engine from freely spinning the wheels.

modern engines are basically fully controlled by computers to the point where they measure airflow and air/fuel ratio and make slight adjustments based on these sensors. now also with bolt on bits like turbochargers, they were at there peak 10 years ago but now being held back by emissions regulations :(

but realistically the principle has been around for fucking decades and its nothing new.

you HAVE to be baiting or you have room temperature IQ holy fucking shit i knew the answer this when i was fucking 5

The first truly functioning internal combustion engine was built in 1860 or somewhere abouts, and more simplistic engines date back to the 1500s and before. The idea has been around for entire centuries with various tinkerers building small things and playing with the basic principles involved.

>how did they think of this shit?
they studied then had thoughts of modifying already existing stuff they understood then did prototypes, what kind of answer were you looking for exactly? it always boggles my mind how brainlets keep talking about technology but never actually bother to understand it. reminds me of that one video about quantum clocks where some retard keeps interrupting Neil DeGrasse to literally add nothing to the discussion.

atomic clocks* and just found it, the retard is Pharrell Williams

luv me rb26
'ate 'lectric
end of

Attached: 1637621538854.webm (320x240, 308.64K)

Here's the one that always fucks with my brain:
2000 RPM in low gear on flat surface: 15 MPH.
2000 RPM in low gear with a heavy load: 2 MPH.

The crankshaft is rotating at the same speed in both, but the wheels don't turn at the same speed. Where is the extra motion from the crankshaft going?

Is it dissipating in the fluid in the torque converter?

>static energy output from motor
>increased workload demanded
>WTF why isn't the result the same!?

>timing
>math
>he can't do it by ear
female detected

this is true for both otto cycle ICMs and brayton cycle turbines

air pump + explosive expansion

found the guy whos clutch is slipping.

Attached: 1617299042062.png (600x400, 232.61K)

unless your driving a CVT, or your clutch is totally fucked, that's not how that works.

The clutch works with friction

Look at RC plane engines, they are the most basic combustion engine you can make. At it most basic an engine can be made with just 4 parts.

the clutch should stick at all times unless you are pressing the clutch pedal (assuming manual)

Yes, it sticks less the more you press on the pedal

yeah and you do not do this unless you are changing gear and moving off, if you are moving a constant speed with the clutch in you are going to cause serious wear.

aliens

Yes because the friction surfaces are just rubbing against the flywheel instead of fully biting on. You can change gears without the clutch on any manual car but the risk of damage is very high. On motorcycles you can just lift the gear pedal without the clutch when upshifting.

I assume it's an automatic with fluid coupling instead of a clutch.
If it has a clutch then...no good.

Attached: fluid-coupling-e1598371352853.png (547x355, 35.19K)