If putting a power strip into another power is so bad then the fuck do you do if you run out of space?

If putting a power strip into another power is so bad then the fuck do you do if you run out of space?
Are you just meant to yeet over 50 bucks for a bigger strip?

Attached: images (5) (24).jpg (259x194, 11.33K)

I have three six-point power boards plugged into each other to power you home-made rack. Never given me the slightest trouble.

(Me)
How the fuck "my" ended up "you" is completely beyond me.

Attached: 1544007559788.jpg (720x714, 255.6K)

just get one that lets you plug in bricks without wasting space
problems solved

Attached: 61WBnd+ihfS._AC_SY450_.jpg (391x450, 24.41K)

>If putting a power strip into another power is so bad

says who

it's fine as long as you don't exceed any limits

It doesn't matter as long as you don't surpass the amp rating on the first strip.

>If putting a power strip into another power is so bad then the fuck do you do if you run out of space?
They only tell you not to put power strips together because people are absolute fucking morons and it's easier to tell them not to do something than it is to explain how to calculate wattage and not to exceed the amperage rating of the first circuit breaker

Attached: 1635362263965.jpg (2048x1773, 327.23K)

don't exceed the rating on any component downstream
where i live these all have the same rating (10A/240V), which is the same as the wall socket itself, so it's not complicated, just don't plug more than 10A worth of stuff into the wall total

You only need two, so you can plug them into each other for unlimited power

Attached: 1555323736.jpg (480x478, 29.3K)

It's all good so long as you don't exceed the boards' ratings. The only time I've seen them pop is from heaters. Most of them come with surge protection for an extra $5 for those who live somewhere shit. If they start getting yellow, then replace them.

It's okay if you know how much power the loads you plug into it typically draw and are certain that you will not be overloading the power strips with everything that's plugged in being turned on. The average person won't know all that so it's safer just to tell people to not daisy chain power strips so they don't burn their house down.

So here's the basic idea,
You have something like a phone charger, 15W 5V. Assume worst case, it's pulling 15W. Power out equals power in times some losses, let's say the SMPS that steps down 120V is 80% efficient, lowball estimate though may not be lowball for cheap charger. 15W*1.2 = 18W power in on mains side. P=V*I -> I = P/V. 18W/120V = 150mA average current draw on the primary side of the transformer at max output power. If your power strip is on a 20A breaker**** you still have 19.850A of headroom for other loads. Rinse and repeat this procedure for everything and maybe leave a bit of extra safety margin in there too.

****Huge asterisk on the 20A breaker thing. In reality you probably shouldn't exceed 10A for power strips. The cables are not typically rated for 20A and definitely not 30A. Check the power strip itself, there's likely a current rating on it somewhere. In reality your actual error budget is probably something more like 9.850A at 120V.

And just generally never plug large loads that can draw kW into power strips like AC, ovens, washing machines, microwaves etc.

Why not just have 2 of them 1 in each typical 2 prong outlet in the wall? I've done that...

Unlimited power is a code violation in recent revisions of the NEC. Arc fault or combination circuit breakers are now required when becoming the senate.

why are you calculating the amps on the mains side? doesn't all your stuff state this? they do where i live

Attached: a.png (612x612, 103.49K)

plugging a strip into another one is bad because it makes it easier to draw too much power out of one outlet and trip it
it should be fine as long as you don't do that

I've done this for years and nothing's burned down so far.

for example the one power strip maximum limit

Just make sure you get a Jesus Strip and it'll be blessed and have everlasting power.

Attached: 1639237973228.jpg (468x468, 44.15K)

i'm not plugging anything into a cross, it'll die

faith keeps you grounded, but we can't expect God to do all the work

>Never given me the slightest trouble.
Cool story. Still a bad idea.

>then the fuck do you do if you run out of space?
First, rethink your life choices. WTF do you have so much clutter?
Second, run another extension from a wall plug for the second power bar.
Third, depending on your setup that 2nd extension should be on a different circuit.
Fourth, if you have a huge pile of power bars, and you absolutely can't get enough wall plugs, make sure you aren't daisy chaining your extensions and using a star topology. That is, avoid doing A->B->C->D. You want A->B, A->C, A->D. Ideally A is a power bar with a high rating.

It's not any meaningfully bad as long as you understand basic electricity.

>says who
NFPA 70, National Electrical Code (NEC)

That assumes your power bars are actually built to the specs on the package. That they aren't is far more likely then your wall socket not being up to spec.

i haven't come across one that isn't

Just do the math on the load(s).
They are meant to plugged in thats why it has plugs and receptacles. Your other option is to hire a guy like me to install a zillion duplex receptacles or Wiremold power strips that really aren't any better than you calculating the loads and paying attention to the labels on your power strips.

Power strips should be made to go off one another