/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

previous >. Ship it
whoever keeps putting this in C++ committee comments is a cringelord
also zip() and cartesian_product() are going to be empty holy shit that's retarded, yet another case of the rustic tower indullectuals shutting their ears and pretending they won't be regretting it 2 years later, prohibit zip() and cartesian_product() if you dont like the consistent versions zip() = repeat(make_tuple()), cartesian_product() = single(make_tuple()) but dont add your own headcanon versions that ruin the consistency of the variadic function
relatedly, applicatives for C++ fucking when??

Attached: 782346.jpg (253x199, 11.56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/friendlyanon/cmake-init
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

tomato!

Reminding anons to use github.com/friendlyanon/cmake-init when creating new C++ and C projects!

Attached: file.png (1693x181, 31.31K)

I want to learn to program as a hobby but have a massive fear of failing and becoming demotivated. I've done tutorials and want to slowly build a fun project but don't even know where to begin.

I love classic roguelike games like Angband or Dwarf Fortress/ CDDA. It's a dream of mine to one day make a game and put it online for anyone to download and play for free. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do it because the motivation quickly fades not from realizing programming is about solving problems, but from sheer amount of information online that contradicts eachother. What's the point of even trying anymore.

>"know" python as a hobby programmer
>program is lacking a basic feature
>try to add it
>fail miserably
All I wanted to do was make the selection inside a QtLineEdit not select the file extension upon being selected. I was so overwhelmed, I didn't even know where to look for it. I searched the source files for things which seem of interest (like that Qt widget). Then I did the good old "print("test")" to see if I'm close. Spoiler: I wasn't. How am I supposed to do this? I really have to start understanding the whole program from scratch, don't I?

Thanks for reading my blog.

Programming is not for you. Give up now.

See

mutability considered harmful

Brivyet druzya.
I'm a front-end webdev.
3D programming interests me.
I have some experience with C++, and I want to learn opengl 3D, to make cool visual hobby projects.

Is it worth diving into? Or should I just continue to focus on implementing three.js & Blender into my current web-related tech stack?

I don't expect a concrete answer, I just want to hear your guys' opinions. Thanks.

Attached: 1645021949066.gif (307x307, 2.55M)

harm considered mutable

>information online that contradicts eachother
how so?

Probably better to just learn the web stack 3D programming. Maybe once WASM stops being a meme it might be worth learning 3D in C++/Rust.

A lot of times when I look something up I'll find something that will say to do something one way but then another article will say to do it another. Like as an example If I wanted make a function, one article or forum will go will say add it at the start of your program and another will say add it as a separate file and link it to the main program. A lot of times when I look to see why one is better over another it seems more like preference.

I was thinking of something like that, yeah. Seems reasonable to focus on the web stack, as it's literally my job, and has the most reward for my efforts. Wouldn't want to spread myself too thin with an intensive hobby.

Thanks for the input, I'll keep thinking about the cost vs reward of diving into it. Carmack is an inspiration, but it was his career, not a hobby, that motivated him to excel in his craft. Me rendering 3D cubes & oblong shapes for fun doesn't seem to practical, but fuck, it seems cool.

Don't you love it when you make some abstraction on a whim without knowing quite for sure if you're going to need it, and worry if you've wasted time over-engineering something that will end up being not-quite-right, and then one day it turns out you do need it and it just werks exactly as you had envisioned with no hitch at all and saves you days if not weeks of work? I fucking love that feeling. YAGNI fags will never understand this.

That's the thing about programming (and real world problem solving in general). There does not exist a single correct answer, just many somewhat correct answers, all with their own flaws. It's up to you to decide which flaws are acceptable and anticipate when and how these flaws could become problems.

It also is making it difficult for me to start a project. Like i want to approach it in a step like manner. Maybe build a text adventure game first then move to building a proper roguelike and then slowly go up and up. With this constant mix of info, simply just starting is hard enough.

*necessary

ftfy, immutability can be helpful at times though, C++ const is great.

You're not writing proprietary software by any chance, right user?
You know that's immoral, right?
Intellectual property is theft, never forget!

Attached: computer messiah.jpg (680x376, 30.31K)

Just wrote property software for Elastic Search. Get fucked

ahhh github is down!

works on my machine, which azure zone/region is dead?

>condemning your immortal soul for fleeting money

Attached: Picard.gif (320x240, 2.47M)

>tfw too stupid and too much of a mathlet for DSP