I was wrong

I was wrong
Docker's the shit
but why did they remove the happy whale

Attached: 1616076952435.jpg (3840x3345, 466.23K)

docker enterprise was sold off.
no enterprise, no money, no happiness.

Too much soul. Sold to enterprise for milking.

Attached: podman.png (863x231, 26.3K)

>but why did they remove the happy whale
The whale is no longer happy that the desktop version of him is paid.

no fun allowed, it's not professional

>podman
soulless systemd fork

Attached: badge.jpg (600x800, 61.3K)

they are whalephobic

>Docker Desktop is licensed as part of a free (Personal) or paid Docker subscription (Pro, Team or Business). Docker Desktop may be used for free as part of a Docker Personal subscription for:
>Small companies (fewer than 250 employees AND less than $10 million in annual revenue)
>Personal use
>Education and learning (as a student or an instructor, either in an academic or professional environment)
>Non-commercial open source projects

I think this is fair. Am I a soulless suit now?

Clearly still has more soul as evidenced by the logo. Also actually less features that get in the way of small time users.

We can agree that it isn't MAXIMALLY soulful.

>I think this is fair. Am I a soulless suit now?
It's bullshit. They got everyone in industry hooked on it while it was free, and are now charging money for it. At least I can understand why Anaconda made the switch since their hosted their repos, but docker desktop doesn't use any external resources.

disagree.
Red Hat was unhappy that Docker refused systemd patches and ranted how traditional fork-exec and letting the init manage it is the true way.
then Red Hat tried to actually do it themselves but found out that traditional fork-exec isn't possible.
it's now a double-fork with the daemon (conmon) hidden inside the container to at least be able to claim podman itself isn't a daemon.

It's fair until you realize that docker desktop is slow, buggy garbage, half the features can't be used if you don't pay, and it used to be completely free then pulled a bait and switch like said.

Docker Desktop uses Docker Hub, you pea-brained dunce. You think hosting multi-gigabyte images is cheap?

It changes the entire product offering and makes the particular technology a thousand times less appealing. Docker isn't the only whale in the sea and Docker Desktop is not the only way to interact with the base technology. This isn't an honest product; it's license trolling.

it's 100% fair. Docker Desktop is a GUI product developed for windows and os x users (non-programers) that's EXTREMELY buggy and must require a ton of developer investment on their end.

docker engine is the actual product, the one that docker desktop is a paid wrapper around. it runs only on linux and is free + open source for everyone

docker desktop != docker. docker is open source. of course stuff costs money on windows, it's built from the ground up to suck up money and data

wait so docker desktop would be like github desktop suddenly charging people?

yes

Attached: 1625740423000.jpg (720x375, 19K)

It'd be more like if the github extension for Visual Studios started charging people. Because nobody fucking uses github desktop but a lot of people use docker desktop because setting Docker up on windows is a massive pain in the ass.

>Docker Desktop is a GUI product
nope, they also have their own VM stack.
Docker Desktop was like one of the first users of macOS's Hypervisor.Framework and one of the first to have a working VM on M1.

>because setting Docker up on windows is a massive pain in the ass.
is it tho?
just use WSL.

>Jessie
That's a man