Power Supply Query

So my Brother In law who knows these things is apparently to busy to answer this question, so id like to ask you computer fans.

Whats the best Power source i should get for the PC im building? I bought a Gygabyte Gold and he said it would overheat/burn up once i get something pretty graphically intense running on it, so i looked online and they say this is the best power source thing of 2022, according to some tech website.

But im skeptical, so can you tell me if i should get pic related or is their another i should get? money isn't really the issue, its more so i can play 'Mount and Blade II' and other games this decade since im way behind in tech.

Attached: Corsair.png (1600x1600, 2.64M)

Anything from Corsair/Seasonic with a 10-year warranty

Get this.

Attached: 20180403162021_5930090e.jpg (1348x1200, 216.46K)

corsair PSUs have pretty much always been rock solid
I don't know how gigabyte PSUs are doing currently but they had a big issue with one model exploding last year and were shitty about fixing it

Yeah the one im poised to buy has a 10 year warranty in its description.

This looks cool but ill settle for the one in my pic for now if there is no issues with it? its like, $400 it seems and i could get it but im saving for a 3090 graphics card too (thats the good one i hear.)

yeah i bought that one apparently lol

the only psus worth buying are antec, seasonic, and lite-on

the rest are rebranded for the most part, with some specific models using chinesium of questionable quality. Used to recommend EVGA continuous psus , but even they are guilty of it nowadays

But yeah OP here.

If i don't hear any naysayers in the next few minutes i guess ill buy it then. Thanks for the help though, alot quicker answers than from my Brother in law.

I know he's moving house but a simple yes or no would have sufficed...

Oh hold the phone, a non-corsair fan?
Well,if i were to get a seasonic, is this platinum one the best to buy for my needs?

Attached: Seasonic platinum.jpg (960x609, 58.13K)

It also has 550W not 750W like the corsair, is this a good or a bad thing?

Sorry im super new to this. Is wattage number up good or bad?

Doesnt matter, install gentoo

I got a RM650 recently and it's blessed, motherfucker is inaudible outside the case even when the fan is going at it and it doesn't even spin at low loads
before that I had an old CX550 that held up like a champ for over a decade despite being abused and choked full of dust, in its later years the fan would rattle if it got cold and it picked up a bit of a whine when it was plugged in but it always kept on delivering power and never exploded so I retired it with full honors

Corsair and Gigabyte don't manufacture PSUs. They just badge them.
To be loyal to any brand of PSU is retarded, it should only be considered for the warranty customer service (spoiler, they all suck).

fuck did you even google this?
I am having trouble believing that even if you were new to computers you can't comprehend wattage, have you ever bought a fucking microwave?

550W will run a little slower, but it will be more stable
750W is a nice balance between speed and power
1000W is only for professional video encoding or autocad

this is literally factually incorrect

???

sounds good yeah ill have to check it out a weigh the option. This seasonic platinum looks good though.

Ah i see so its a bit of a racket, gotcha. well, if i get 10 years out of it like the other user said ill be happy.

sorry i realise it was a silly question now.
So, if i got the corsair, which is 750, that would be best? I like the good news and praise this Seasonic is getting but if 750W is what i should aim for, do Seasonic have one i should get in 750W?

oh am i getting trolled on this matter?

So maybe this one then, to have it 750W and a Seasonic?

(Sorry, pic related)

Attached: Seasonic platinum 750W.jpg (800x800, 74.77K)

12 years warranty too. oooooh!

seasonic prime has notoriously touchy ocp

Okay user, there are several things to consider when selecting a PSU - some easier to understand/discern than others. First of all, lets break down the specs vs your needs
>Wattage
This is the maximum output capable of powering all your stuff in your PC. Basically, the more powerful your PC's components and the more you demand of them, the more wattage you'll need. There are many "PSU calculators" out there where you put in your current or proposed hardware build, answer some questions, and it will tell you how big a PSU you need at minimum. Note its always smart to buy "one size up" in case you upgrade or expand , just to give yourself room to grow and a safety margin. (ie If you know you need at least a 750w PSU , getting the 850w version of the same model you were planning previously is a good ide and usually won't cost much more). THere are quite a few PSU calculators and the like at sites like PCPartPicker. Everything in your PC takes power, but things that increase your PSU wattage needs - CPUs with more cores/threads/higher clocks, Overclocking of CPUs / GPUs , more powerful GPUs and especially multiple GPUs, many hard drives, cooling hardware including liquid cooling systems for CPU / GPU + fans and more. These days mos averaget gaming-grade systems can get away with somewhere between 650-850w and be very comfortable.
>Efficiency rating
These are the words like 80+ certified Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Titanium etc. Basically this means the PSU is tested to meet a certain tier of efficiency at full load, delivering clean power. Generally, I suggest at least a Gold rating for high end PSUs, there;'s diminishing returns above Gold or Platinum outside of very specific circumstances
>Modular Cables
This refers to the amount of wires that are permanently attached to the PSU vs those you plug in when needed I suggest Fully Modular which is most popular today as it means less cable mess you don't need.

TBC...

What this guy said

What's your cpu and GPU? We can tell you if 750w is enough based on that.