Code reviews of programmers with Math Degrees

>code reviews of programmers with Math Degrees

Attached: maxresdefault-4.jpg (1280x720, 166.43K)

>code review for code written by electrical engineers
JUST

>don't even look at the code
>see it passed the CI/CD pipeline build
>approved

aw shit that was a lot of work, I better take a 7.5 hr break to recover

literally me

rate them
math degrees
comsci degrees
other science degrees
not college educated
engineers

>prod blows up because QA wasnt smart enough to account for what the Mathbrains decided to do

>pull request arrives in my inbox
>look at the patch
>looks good to me
>apply and test it locally
>passes tests
>no obvious failure modes
>upvote
>senior coworker immediately downvotes
>"this is completely wrong and will corrupt data if you perform these six actions in sequence on a system without full ACE coherency, please fix"
>how the fuck?
>never review code again

Attached: 1631509440526.png (500x417, 204.34K)

Not my problem. Submit an issue and you'll get an answer in 10 to 20 work days.

they hate coding as much as you hate reviewing it.

have the devs build a framework around their scope space so they can write minimal babby tier functions that plug into the service.

that way they can't fuck anything up, they're happier and 100x faster because they're not bogged down by the complexities of development, and your dev process is a million times more stable because you removed most if not all of their avenues to fuck shit up.

you do the same thing for analysts and other SMEs with minimal dsls, teach them that shit, and let them take responsibility for their work.

literally just apply the ford model to engineering. it's like literally no one calling themselves "software engineer" has even a primitive understanding of actual engineering. SAD AF!

these fuckers need to learn to code because that's what they're hired for. every time they deliver sub par results you give their manager another bullet point for their PIP.

programmers with STEM degrees > pajeets > everybody else

>>"this is completely wrong and will corrupt data if you perform these six actions in sequence on a system without full ACE coherency, please fix"

either you're doing super low level shit where this is important, or you have a shit architecture.

>a potential learning experience from a senior coworker?
>better bail out, "i'm too smart for this shit"

Both of course.
That example was hyperbole, but shit like "if you change this some unrelated part of the code will produce wrong results on these specific bits of hardware, no this isn't documented lol" is very common.
Even worse is when he doesn't spot these things and we have to deal with heisenbugs six months down the line.

>That example was hyperbole, but shit like "if you change this some unrelated part of the code will produce wrong results on these specific bits of hardware, no this isn't documented lol" is very common.
>Even worse is when he doesn't spot these things and we have to deal with heisenbugs six months down the line.

what grinds my gears the most is that these half-fossilized developer assholes with all the political power in the company absolutely refuse to fix (or let anyone fix) this type of shit, because they designed it to be precarious like that.

>no codereviews

I think I hit the jackpot.

>they hate coding as much as you hate reviewing it.
I get what you are saying, you are totally right. Unfortunately in my case the EE people think they are good at it and it just generally creates a lot of problems.

Your sentiment is absolute correct however; restrict the attack surface so to speak they can deal with and things will be easier.

>senior coworker immediately downvotes
>"this is completely wrong and will corrupt data if you perform these six actions in sequence on a system without full ACE coherency, please fix"
Yep that's me.

Attached: Swedish Girl.jpg (1000x1000, 97.85K)

>Unfortunately in my case the EE people think they are good at it and it just generally creates a lot of problems.

desu i have no solution for you other than strong leadership. that, however, is in very short supply.

Sounds like a shitshow powderkeg

Based.
Not my problem.

>>"this is completely wrong and will corrupt data if you perform these six actions in sequence on a system without full ACE coherency, please fix"

If he knows to ask that, then he should put in automated tests to cover that scenario.

You're holding a hot potato.

>thread about seething wagies

If you think that's bad try BI when you're the only one that can actually program. I've seen horrendous monstrosities thrown together in python.

probably more about years of experience and how much effort they want to put in the code i think

work at a big tech corpo and some of "critical" code is godlike and near perfect but other stuff is absolute bullshit because people keep leaving the team after 2 years to chase promotions or money so nobody has a clear vision of the codebase.

>BI
>as a programmer
Why.

>ok tier
comcsci
not college educated
>array[][][][] tier
math
>depth of hell tier
engineers
science

Ironically the code is better than my last jobs despite said lack of reviews. There are also no employee reviews or reviews of any kind. Everyone just pulls their own weight, fucking magic.

>hot potato
Fuck you I'm on a diet.

>restrict the attack surface
that's a good way of putting it! might be calling it the risk surface or something going forward.

compression
no degree > engineers > maff >> cs > ee > other (0 samples)

Programming is a hobby to me. I went to school for business and it earns more here.

>I think I hit the jackpot.

Attached: 1644158265669.jpg (594x768, 94.26K)

self educated programmers with math degrees > everyone else

seriously, how do you even compete?

My experience is quite different.

my codebase serializes information into strings for later use instead of holding them in data variables
so this hits close to home...

if they have the discipline to restrain themselves from writing mathwank yes
they're smart but they write code that makes them feel smart, which leads to some interesting shit