Jim keller said that the instruction set doesn't really matter because you're using almost always just like 8...

jim keller said that the instruction set doesn't really matter because you're using almost always just like 8 instructions all the time anyway so how come apple arm chips are so fucking fast for the wattage?

Attached: 1644564806446.jpg (259x194, 4.21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AFVDZeg4RVY
youtu.be/AFVDZeg4RVY?t=1218
ultratechnology.com/mup21.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

for the power hungry stuff they're mostly using hardware acceleration rather than raw cpu power

>how come apple arm chips are so fucking fast for the wattage?
They really aren't. They get beat out at the same power draw by the 4800u which came out a year or two prior on an inferior node.

>you're using almost always just like 8 instructions all the time anyway
> just like 8
what is this shit?
> how come apple arm chips are so fucking fast for the wattage
they're not. look at some benchmarks sometime.

>can't run ad autocad
What in the fuck

>Only 8 instr.s used
Whoever said this should not be respected when they assume authority over computational knowledge. Ignore them.

Chip shit, compiler good, Apple is whore. The ISA is also nonstandard AF arm.

cheat.

youtube.com/watch?v=AFVDZeg4RVY

jim keller said that, I think it was in this interview though I watched some shorted clip taken from it

You can design an ARM chip with only the peripherals needed you application. You don't need to support any other features you don't need for your specific use case.

Not to turn this into a windows/Microsoft argument argument, but there is so much legacy hardware there have to keep in x86, and it goes wayyyyy beyond just the ISA. Also, Intel has pretty much be come entangled with the PC hardware design model to the point they can never leave it.

Attached: 1616253322632.jpg (634x547, 79.96K)

youtu.be/AFVDZeg4RVY?t=1218

>80% of execution is like 6 instructions

i'm pretty sure you're missing the context. he's probably talking about the 8 most used instructions, give the timestamp of the vid no one's watching the whole thing.

20:20

All the legacy components in x86 are relegated to one IC that is basically a microcontroller in terms of power use.
X86's real problem over the years is the lack of heterogeneous core designs and the lack of conviction to make a true mobile SoC.
The tides are turning with alder lake however

>The tides are turning with alder lake however

Attached: 1645200225629.png (416x402, 151.05K)

About a year ago I wanted to buy the largest screen iMac with the newest chip. It wasn't out back then.
Is it out now? If not, when?
(When I Google I'm flooded with news articles dated Summer 2021, so I ask here)

Attached: pick_macro.png (1934x1078, 3.6M)

Attached: 5.png (1440x1000, 72.69K)

turns out super wide is better, shocking. But the x64 boys haven't been willing to build a decoder that can feed something like Firestorm. Probably too big, too complex or too hot.

>using hardware acceleration
>rather than raw cpu power
pathetic

>doesn't really matter because you're using almost always just like 8 instructions all the time anyway

ultratechnology.com/mup21.html

i like ian's hawaii cat shelter thing he did.

Last time I worked on Intel hardware, they were still locked into the CPU + Chipset.

All the X86 SoCs I evver worked on just had the chipset+CPU on one package.

Plus with x86 you are married to PCI, and if you don't need those high speed peripherals, well you still have to buy them, and I'm sure striping the unused high speed peripherals out makes a big difference in cost when you are make tens of millions of units.

Attached: 1608319425785.jpg (634x522, 68.51K)