Is he right?

Is he right?

Attached: copyleft.png (1080x645, 93.31K)

It's dishonest argumentation, copyleft does little for sustainability or actual ethical/usage of software, and permissive licenses do even less, as far as the scope of copyleft licensing is concerned.

"Buying a lock for your house does little for protecting yourself from a determined burglar, just leave the door unlocked"-tier.

Your profile picture is upside down. Fix it immediately!

Attached: twitter thread.webm (696x522, 1.72M)

He is right. Why there pops put code that I cant uae in work. Off with thee, you commies. Get your own commie space. Copyleft code should have own sovietGit dot com

no

YES!

Copyleft licenses don't respect my freedom or other devs' freedom as much as permissive licenses like MIT, Apache, and BSD do. They're truly free licenses unlike GPL.

>ethical usage of software
buzzword alert! what this means is that "nazis" are not allowed to use the software. Which goes against Freedom 0 of the GNU philosophy:

>The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).

ANY purpose. Including purposes that leftists disagree with. So they try to use licenses like the JSON loicense that say stuff like "cannot be used for evil" despite this being impossible to define let alone enforce, what really happens is they (try to) prevent people with opinions they dislike from being able to use the software.

>soi langs have soidevs who use cuck licenses
wow, what a surprise. now take a look at most C projects.

Attached: 1518818756367.png (1279x837, 513.29K)

No, GPL is the reason why we will never see a decent Linux desktop.

Or what?

we already have decent linux desktops, the limiting factor has been hardware compatibility for a long while.
yes, my grandmother can use xfce just fine. on compatible hardware it just werks.

>the limiting factor has been hardware compatibility
Exactly, because of GPL

>creator of linux
>some retard on Any Forums
i wonder whos correct.

I'm enjoying 100% hardware compatibility faggot

>Exactly, because of GPL
and how did the MIT license work out for MINIX? or the BSD license for the various BSD os?
it's *because* of GPL linux is compatible on far more hardware than minix or BSD as daily operating system.

>license code under permissive license
>companies use my code, make a fortune, and include my copyright in a hidden menu without giving me anything in return

>license code under copyleft (GPL)
>companies use my code, make a fortune
>find out
>sue them
>get lots of moni and gov drains money from them until they comply

the choice is obvious

the GPL doesn't stop device manufacturers from releasing even closed-source drivers for linux, what are you smoking

post all the lawsuits you've won and how much money you've made

If you work for a FAANG company you will burn in hell for eternity. All fields.

/thread

MINIX was ahead of its time, and I don't know anything about BSD. Linux was free and ran on intel hardware, that's why it gained traction.

They can't use any libraries w/o releasing their source code or reinventing the wheel.