What do normies prefer to use on a phone?

Would they rather install an app from the app store or use a mobile-friendly website on their phone's web browser?
Need to know if I should even bother deploying to an app store

Attached: normies phones.png (1280x720, 837.72K)

App

app store. You need to turn .apk install on, I believe. They wont. On apple not even a question. People will not install and use Testflight in mass.

he's talking about a web app that runs in the browser, not downloading apks.

Oops

A web app has a lower barrier. People are usually pretty selective about what they download. They'd rather visit a new site than download a new app.
But once people know they'll be using an app regularly they would rather use an app.

I know my parents (50 approaching 60 now) would much rather just download an app from the PlayStore than even open the pre-installed Chrome and browse the web.
For some reason there's this huge perception there that when you use the browser to search the internet it's basically the wild west and you will get a dozen viruses a minute.
Meanwhile they somehow got into their head that the PlayStore is from Google itself and consequently has to be completely safe and secure since a big company is responsible for all of it and will download the most random bullshit apps ever just to avoid having to even open Chrome.
I've tried to explain how unbelievably wrong they are countless times, but at this point I've pretty much given up on ever getting through to them.

I don't know a single person that uses their mobile web browser for anything other than googling random questions

this is because (they) intentionally cripple most mobile sites to force the downloading of apps.
this is what google and apple want, but in reality no one actually enjoys using an app for everything and a well made mobile site will beat an app every time. think of wordle

this was my intent

i agree with this, but apparently Isn't there some way to get the best of both with a PWA or something? Like can't they just click 'install' or 'add to home screen' to install it if they constantly use the website?

I don't really like using the mobile browser because it's a cumbersome experience.
You have to search for the site , either through a bookmark or typing (I hate typing on mobile), there's a lot more loading and the UX of most sites is not as optimized for mobile as an app.
That doesn't mean I just download random apps, though.

people dont visit youtube.com or twitter.com on their browsers. They arent even aware that they can install the website as a PWA. They just use the apps

>youtube
android users get that when they buy the phone
>twitter
because they use it constantly or want push notifications / integration

the app is never going to be a massive time sink like twitter

Boomers and roasties get filtered by having to go to the app store and find and download an app. iToddlers will also often forget their apple ID creds and get locked out of the store.
I run into this shit all the time when implementing 2FA on shit and half the users flood the helpdesk asking how to use their fucking phones. Just make a mobile friendly website and keep it as simple as possible.

people only install apps they've heard about from others
games are the only exception in my experience

meanwhile you can spam content aggregators with your site and people will click without a second thought

a hundred times a good mobile website, i hate installing apps, i keep basically 3, other 2 offload

alright. are people too dense to figure out how to install a PWA? Since some of my users will want to have a short cut to the application but the application itself does not constantly pester them (at most it will email them digests if they make an account)

>PWA
Normies don't know how that shit works and I don't even know if it's supported on iOS.

>People are usually pretty selective about what they download.
Lmao have you ever seen a normalfag's phone? They'll have pages of apps for every restaurant and retail store they've ever been to, freemium games that they played once and never touched again, and apps for random Chinese smart devices they bought off Amazon on a whim. I don't know a single person in real life who is selective with what apps to install.

I think its because alot of websites want you to download an app so they can milk that precious data or whatever. program is not for-profit.

yeah I have no idea either. Either way if the domain is short they could just type it in. The typical user will only open the app when prompted to, its used for requesting stuff us and I don't feel like a full fucking app is warranted in that case

this is only because most of those things do not offer GOOD mobile sites. a good app will beat a bad site, just as a good site will beat a bad app. however, most people agree that a good site beats a good app.

it depends on what your app is. is it something that will be used very frequently, or is it something that will be used

and to everyone else

thanks guys, alright. Mobile-friendly/PWA it is. most people wont know how to install a PWA but it isn't that much of a pain to set it up with angular.
>inb4 reactfags come pissing and screaming