Is IPFS a meme...

Is IPFS a meme? Can't think of a way to build a website that isn't just a static content website on this since there is no central server.

Attached: ipfs.png (1024x1024, 70.42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/orbitdb/orbit-db
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No shit.
Host your backend on a shitty old Dell workstation and use IPFS as a CDN. There you go.

What's the point of IPFS then?

You can do dynamic content it's just harder. The static content is fine anyway. There is nothing wrong with a page re-load to submit and interact with a website.

IPFS just needs a better GUI and it'll take off with normalfags for piracy. It's better than torrents for that use case. It's better than websites if you want to avoid censorship. The more users it has the better the network speeds are for every one else. Imagine if all the bandwidth and HDD space used for torrents was used for ipfs instead. Files would download fast and there would always be at least a few peers out there hosting the content.

ipfs spooks normalfags and shitters because of the encryption and not knowing exactly what files you're sharing. Everyone thinks they are gonna get v& for having pizza. That's the only thing really holding it back right now aside from the shitty interface.

Decentralized file sharing.

But does it matter if the backend is centralized?

>interact with a website
But how is this achieved at all? Clients can't just send an HTTP request.

I will stop answering your questions because you're a dumbass.

What I mean by a better GUI is it needs something akin to Perfect Dark or old school Napster interface to catch on. I love the fact that I can do everything from a CLI and use my browser. But normalfags need a clear GUI to interact with file sharing. They need that little message that says
>Please wait for the client to discover peers on the network. This may take some time the first time you run the application. Downloads and searching will become faster after you wait a few minutes.

ipfs on windows also needs work. I know most around here don't care about Windows and Apple shit but we need them on the network. Bandwidth and HDD space is good no matter what OS it's hosted on.

To hide the location of the server and really encrypt all traffic to and from it. TLS and SSL are broken wide open. FAGMAN has managed to become a global man in the middle. All these websites sharing their keys with CDNs and anti-ddos services are sharing their encryption keys.

ipfs solves the problem by building a true p2p network using all peers. The route you take to get to the server can change often. You should always be able to find a route as long as you know of a few peers. You can do a modern website through ipfs. You just have to host all your javashit and such locally. ipfs doesn't care about the data you're sending through it. It will happily forward anything to a peer that requests it.

It just needs to mature some more. It's a real shame development has slowed to a crawl. I've been using it for about 5 years now. Not much has changed since back then other than the addition of a meme coin.

I came across orbitdb. So combine with IPFS for dynamic sites. Then you would only need a webserver to make it publicly accessible. I never tried so I don't know if it's any good

github.com/orbitdb/orbit-db

So is it going to take off?

companies willingly giving control of their encryption keys to cloudflare and others doesn't mean "TLS and SSL are broken wide open" or what do you mean by that statement?

You can just admit that IPFS is just another worthless piece of shit but at least it's DeCeNtRaLiZeD

>website
It's the "Interplanetary file system", not a HTTP replacement. You can host a html file on there but that is not the point.
It's useful for data storage. Part of libgen is hosted on IPFS.

The website seems to imply it's some kind of replacement for HTTP
>IPFS aims to surpass HTTP in order to build a better web for all of us.
>HTTP downloads files from one server at a time — but peer-to-peer IPFS retrieves pieces from multiple nodes at once

I'm working on an Any Forums clone with the backend built on DFINITY IC, with all the post files being saved to the IPFS. The proof of concept seems to be there. It's functional on a basic level and pretty fast. I think IPFS will definitely take off. It makes more sense to have files identified by content instead of a url, and auto deduplication is a plus.

wtf i don't want to seed coomer pics

Given that all these "crypto" "web3" projects are hilariously light on actual encryption and authentication anyone using this for privacy like it's a better freenet is a damned fool.

Not a crypto project, doesn't have anything to do with blockchain either.

Good point. I'm leaning towards allowing users to toggle which boards (specific topics/sfw/nsfw) that they would like to cache.
I'm mostly just working on it to learn the tech but it's pretty neat, especially the decentralized back end using ICP Canisters as a persistent database.

Attached: maim-window-20220215-120233.png (1920x960, 97.49K)

Their website is completely retarded.