Acme is what emacs (and all IDEs in general) should have been

>does not have any scripting language
>custom commands can be written in any language, from shell script to C
>doesn't try to be anything more than an helper interface to use commands for development
>simple mouse commands that actually helps you in your job
>structured regex everywhere
>utf-8 everywhere, no fucks given to other encodings

Attached: Acme.png (1130x930, 55.25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dP1xVpMPn8M
c9x.me/edit/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How do I write a content-aware region-commenting function for Acme?
For instance, selecting a region and running this command should prefix every line with # in shell scripts, but wrap them with /* .. */ in C.

Will not be aware, but

>select the region you want to comment
>run the command "Edit s/^//g"
>done

OK, but how? Where is the code?

You can use the window tag.
You can write on it.

Attached: scrot.png (465x22, 976)

youtu.be/dP1xVpMPn8M

Good post, but wtf is this breathing shit I hear in the video

You can write in any language you want (theoretically), all you need is the language to implement 9p

i wish there was a better implementation of acme that didn't rely on all of plan9port.
I know there's acme-sac, but for some reason it feels really sluggish for larger files.

but there are tons of stuff you could use from plan9port, like the plumber.
The rules update got kinda screwed because the plumber uses 9p to do it, but you can stop and start it again and it works.

And there's one from c9x called "editor", which is basically vi + acme, but i tried to compile it but it didn't work.
c9x.me/edit/

Ditching line oriented terminal emulators was one of the smartest Plan 9 moves

>And there's one from c9x called "editor", which is basically vi + acme, but i tried to compile it but it didn't work.
works on my machine :^) you gotta have the literal programming tools installed (cweave from the cweb package).
it's a nice editor, and the source code is really clean, i like c9x's stuff, but it feels too tailored to the developers personal tastes.

Attached: 2022-02-15-173308_582x243_scrot.png (582x243, 4.11K)

Sounds great, does it have C++ highlighting support?

highlighting is not supported.
It's actually bad for programming

If a typical Linux user wanted to give acme a try, where should he start?

install plan9ports

russ cox was masturbating to acme as he filmed

Brain dead unixism that falls down whenever you need to do anything slightly complicated.
The holy grail of customization is to provide facilities to edit the code that is running out of the box, recompiling only the section that needs to be updated, and patching the code in memory without ever having to restart the program, seeing the changes instantly on the screen as soon as you press a button. And without having to wrestle with some utterly retarded build system like autotools or cmake, install dependencies etc.
If it was possible on a 5 MHz machine with 500 kB of RAM, it should be possible on today's computers.

there's no highlighting for anything
its bad

>slightly complicated
what is slightly complicated?
generally it only falls apart on things that are misunderstanded

most of things can boil down to just simple files and some programs easily work with these files.

> And without having to wrestle with some utterly retarded build system like autotools or cmake, install dependencies etc.
You don't need to compile acme retard