How would you save firefox

how would you save firefox

Attached: Mozilla.png (786x539, 63.73K)

remove political people, employ skilled programmers.

Dissolve Mozilla Corporation. Restructure Mozilla Foundation. Fire all middle management. Slash pay to any talking heads. Close down everything not related to Firefox and Thunderbird development. Refocus development with greater input from the community.

i wouldn't, the web is beyond saving

Pay lousy wages so you only get idealists that care about free software.

Attached: gnulag.jpg (1344x756, 292.49K)

they recently (-ish) fired all Servo people.

Servo was the only chance to regain relevance

So it will end up like Epiphany or whatever is GNOME using?

The only reason it's as usable as it is is that it freeloads on WebKit from Apple, that's made for iPhones

>Bring back XUL
>drop Rust in favor of Zig and/or just C
>return to native UIs on Windows, Linux, and Mac
>bully W3C and attempt to run Google out of its position of power
>make and adopt real standards for the web. HTML5 and CSS goes in the trash
>make and enforce javascript standards
>new javascript engine focused on speed
>bring back legacy support for flash in isolated tabs
>native tree style tabs
>native dark mode
>native ublock like tool
>free git repo for add-on and style creators
>fire everyone currently involved in the project that isn't some NEET hiding away in the closet doing the hard work
>Revise Mozilla license and release all mozilla code/content as public domain
>focus on portability, mozilla would run on obscure CPUs and old OSs like Windows XP
>Python and lisp bindings
>native support for vim keys

more diversity

Just in case you're wondering, none of your meme suggestions will work. Firefox didn't lose marketshare because of trannies, blm, mitchell baker blog posts, or pocket.
>be firefox
>single process, zero sandboxing
>slow as shit
>chrome comes out
>multi-process day one
>crazy fast
That isn't enough though, speed isn't everything. For multiple years after chrome came out, firefox was still gaining marketshare. But then, the dark ages
>Firefox fails to catch up fast enough
>Legacy extension mechanism is not compatible with multi-process firefox
>majority of addons will break
>years of progress delayed, mozilla powers through anyway
>Some extensions still work, some ported to e10s
>many break
>Firefox is still slow as shit and full of bloated platform code for backward compatibility with certain extensions
>Still no fucking sandbox
At this point the situation is untenable
>Quantum project began
>Longstanding performance bugs finally fixed
>Aids legacy extensions mechanism axed, replaced with king webextensions
>Freetards seethe and cope, firefox is fast again
But it was too little too late, Mozilla prioritized not breaking add-ons in the early days of chrome and this stopped them from moving fast enough. Also
>Netflix not working in firefox for a long time because of freetardation with drm
>Google's legacy PlanB SDP format means many enterprise video apps STILL don't work in firefox
>Google hangouts didn't work for a decade
>Google earth didn't work for a decade
And now
>Shift to mobile where platform defaults reign supreme

Just so you know, there is no scenario where Firefox "wins" per se. The bleeding could've been significantly slowed by making different technical decisions in 2009 but this is literally unwinnable, you're either the default on cellphones or a loser

Remove Google.
Google cucked the web and mobile phones and Any Forums fell for it because Anything But [Apple|Microsoft]

rope

Firefox is dead, pic related is a new addition to the chromium dev tools.

Attached: 1626933176340.png (1962x1108, 437.76K)

git reset $commitIdWithVersion3.5

Move to GPL, let freetard develop it

>le Firefox is slow meme
bullshit. I used Firefox till version 56. It was never slow by any means even on "dated" hardware.
The web itself is slow, because literally everything is freaking bloated. A machine that has/had problems with FF also has problems with chromium based browsers.

>you're either the default on cellphones or a loser
There is some truth to this, but... on the desktop the fight was lost by them givin' up and going into full submission with all the retarded shit that they have done.
I am the one responsible for hundreds of installs of browsers, but if they literally fuck with me on several occasions, I don't need to install their stuff on my users pc, especially once they are more familiar with chrome anyways.

I'm not sure it can be saved, due to inherently targeting a niche.
It's like Linux, great in the terms that it's FOSS and flexible for power users. However most people don't care about digital freedom, nor are they power users. Firefox got popular in the first place not because of these properties, but because it was the only alternative at the time where the mainstream default browsers like IE was just complete crap. But now the mainstream browsers like Chrome or Edge is good enough, so the mainstream has no reason to change. Firefox has advantages, but it's advantage that mean nothing to 95% of people, hence why its marketshare has is approaching the other 5%.

>>le Firefox is slow meme
It was slow, stop lying. It wasn't just "slowness" though, it was the architecture allowing a misbehaving page to slow down an otherwise fast page. A page in the background could start shitting, and literally HANG the fucking parent process, which hung scrolling in an entirely different tab. This wasn't mitigated until significant refactoring during e10s and the introduction of APZ. Was the problem fixed? Yup. Firefox is a perfectly serviceable browser now and has been for years. Too little too late though, it should've went multi-process 5 years before it did

>I am the one responsible for hundreds of installs of browsers
same, and i don't think we're in small numbers

i can't stomach firefox myself anymore, let alone making sure other people use it

that’s just brave, the 100% not gay Brendan Eich left Mozilla because of politics, and started brave but all the skilled programmers just work on crypto features instead of something more impactful.

Brave employs one chromium engineer with actual experience in the codebase and 12 webshitters. They have so little experience actually building browsers that the "built-in" adblocker injects its UI into the webpage, posing a massive security/clickjacking risk. No one in that org knows how to build a proper native UI that uses IPC to get element rects to display in the parent.

>be google
>make web mail invite only
>people flock to it because it's free
>allow everyone
>become new yahoo/hotmail
>scrape email for meta data
>get rich spying on your users
>decide you need to spy on them more
>make web browser
>shill it everywhere
>get users fast like you did with web mail
>join W3C and give them lots of money
>seize positions of power
>start adding DRM and non-standard stuff to your browser engine
>change it every other week
>lol its a living standard guys
>intentionally break other browser engines on your platform (earth, youtube, gmail etc)
>change them every week for the lulz
>buy Mozilla foundation with your money
>put retards in charge of it
>they pocket all the cash and give the programmers nothing
>fire your entire programming team
>replace with bootcampers and trannys
>donate the little money left over after the CEOs salary to social justice bullshit
>give your end users the finger

Google ruined the internet.

imo firefox should never move away from the original extensions philosophy, should have stayed a monolithic king that it was
i prefer xul era extenstions over multi-process firefox with webextensions (which are a dystopian nightmare)

>how would you save firefox
Why should I?
Cancer should be helped die faster, not saved.

The only reason webkit is usable is because it freeloads on khtml that's made for the linux desktop

>e10
exactly. They made every addon developer adopt their new model (what was it called again? Jetpack or so?) and then dumped them a year later, for no freaking reason other than "having no addons is better than having addons which might need work after updates". That was such a big fuck you that I am unwilling to ever shill for FF again.

The best thing however is, that FF got slower and slower with every freaking release. My X201 with i5 and 8Gb is barely running it right now. Granted, that is because of le web getting bigger and more bloated with every fucking API that is added, but them not actually working on making these optional and reasonable fast on slightly older machines is an even bigger fuck up, considering the fact that they claim to be supportive of the 3rd world.

>i prefer xul era extenstions over multi-process firefox with webextensions (which are a dystopian nightmare)
Tree style tabs spooks me every night
>browsing web
>tabs disappear
>reappear and reload
>wtf
It's trying to fetch and update. Horrible design. I miss XUL. At one point I was really hopeful that XUL would replace HTML for web pages. We could have had web applications that really worked like native applications. We ended up with javascript hell instead.

>It was slow, stop lying.
It wasn't that slow at first. It only started to lag behind after google had gotten control over the W3C. Javascript is slow. It's the reason all of the web is slow. New websites take longer to load in chrome now than websites did in the late 90s on dial up. Everything has that 2-5 second pause where the javascript renders. If they designed proper websites it wouldn't be like this.

Firefox is only broken on google websites for me. Everything else is fine.

The second part of your post didn't happen. Look at Bugzilla, the majority of developers have been at mozilla for 20+ years, 15 years, 10 years, etc. Mozilla actually has above average retention compared to any silicon valley shithole like google where everyone bounces from job to job for clout and riding trends. Everyone working on firefox could make significantly more money doing anything else, they do it because they care.
picrel i just picked a random name from the bug tracker and sure enough they're a dinosaur

Attached: 1644925580281.png (523x156, 20.77K)

Is FF usage really below 5%?

What is the problem? I use firefox

>We could have had web applications that really worked like native applications. We ended up with javascript hell instead.
indeed, and it was dangerously comfy