Linux distro families

What is the goal of each Linux distro family? What are the best distros of each family?
Slackware
Debian
Ubuntu (Debian subfamily)
RedHat
Suse
Arch
Knoppix
Gentoo
Nix
Add more if you may
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

Attached: file.png (890x890, 863.29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

spins.fedoraproject.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fedora Workstation is for working white men.
everything else is for trannies larping as epik haxxors

idk but they must exist to keep linux fragmented

Arch is for the working white men.
Everything else is for trannies larping as epik haxxors

>Slackware
For people who want and old school Unix like Distro.
>Debian
For people who want packages to be as stable as possible (not many updates that change how packages work).
>Ubuntu
For people who still want stability but still want more frequent package updates.
>RedHat
Same as Ubuntu but with support from RedHat.
>Suse
Same as RedHat but German, so might be better for some European companies.
>Arch
For people who want to build their system from the ground up using Binary packages.
>Knoppix
For people who want a live version of Debian.
>Gentoo
For people who want to build their system from the ground up but compiling from source instead of binary packages which allows for more configuration options for packages.
>Nix
For people who want both a binary and source based Distro, who want a virtual environment for programming projects.
And many other things (no, this isn't a nix shill post, it just does some many things differently that I don't want to write them all down).

Nix shill post

>PLAAF
>PLAN
>???
>PLAGF

No, I actually dislike Nix, it's too convoluted for me.

>security-oriented
whonix, heads, tails etc. privacy focused linux distributions, will likely route your traffic through tor/corporate l2tp, and is meant to be used on live boot or thin workstations
>minimal
knoppix,bodhi, puppy, pclinux, tiny core etc.intended as live boot distros usually coming with enough utilities and software, can spin up fast and for general use
>enterprise
rhel, suse, centos etc.(including fedora) what comes on your company laptop. has no REAL purpose or aim outside of "enterprise solution" leeching
>ubunga
guaranteed software support from a profitable company which maintains the decent repos. most freedom software has ready ubuntu binary releases
>meme/enthusiast
archlinux,debian, gentoo,void,lfs...
MEME DISTROS. i have never seen anyone use these distributions in real life(ps-i am a hermit so maybe just I). fun to use to tinker around
anything not mentioned here is SHIT and DEPRECATED

Gentoo isn't a meme distro. It's the best distro for when you have multiple computers you're using/managing. You can build a minimal base system to use on all of them. You can use portage to link them all together in a network. You can build the package one time and use it on all of the machines. Or you can make exceptions and allow some machines to get their own binaries. It's really comfy. You can even tie them all together into a cluster for compiling packages.

It allows you to keep all the computers on the same config or configs with minimal changes. Gentoo really shines when you're in an environment like that. Someone with a handful of desktop/laptops or a small server farm gets lots of benefits from it.

Gentoo basically allows you to roll your own distro without having to build your own package manager. If you're willing to live with Python it's pretty good. I've been trying to explore Guix and Nix to replicate this type of set-up. But their package managers don't eaisly allow me to network all my computers together like portage does.

At home I have a home server and a powerful desktop that build binaries for all my other (slower) computers. They all run the same config (WM+applications) with minimal changes (resolution, refresh rate, dpi etc). I really like building once and deploying everywhere. Even the non-x86-64 machines can happily be part of the network.

I just wish portage wasn't so convoluted. You can tell people have just been hacking in features for 20 years. It isn't hard to navigate but sometimes it sits there forever calculating dependencies. All my computers hover around 900-1,000 packages. I run a lot of bloat. If I got pro-active about removing it perhaps things would go faster.

Attached: gentoofoo.png (300x480, 149.86K)

Arch is an evil distro with the goal of making destkop Linux mainstream

I use Arch btw

Attached: 1644897897277.jpg (1280x720, 526.32K)

And they suck at it. Fedora sikverblue will take off faster.

>fedora silverblue will take off faster than steamOS
[X] Doubt

According to their own sites
>Slackware
Designed with the twin goals of ease of use and stability as top priorities. Including the latest popular software while retaining a sense of tradition, providing simplicity and ease of use alongside flexibility and power
>Debian
to create a free operating system, freely available for everyone. Now, when we use the word "free", we're not talking about money, instead, we are referring to software freedom.
>Ubuntu (Debian subfamily)
to bring free software to the widest audience.
>RedHat
Committed to the promotion, support, and defense of software freedom. It’s a huge responsibility, and people have high expectations of us.
>Suse
to offer an operating system that is adaptable to any environment – optimized for performance, security and reliability.
>Fedora
the Fedora Project’s goal of advancing free software dictates that the Fedora Project itself pursue a strategy that preserves the forward momentum of our technical, collateral, and community-building progress. Fedora always aims to provide the future, first.
>Arch
to provide the latest stable versions of most software by following a rolling release model.
>Knoppix
Muh live cd
>Gentoo
to create a distribution without precompiled binaries that was tuned to the hardware and only included required programs.
>Nix
They don't really state it shortly, didn't quite get it.

Honestly, Slackware, Debian, Fedora, Arch and Gentoo were the ones that made more sense to me. RHEL and Suse are obviously just for the bucks but they contribute a lot of money back (and even development). While Ubuntu is kinda... vague? Ubuntu is obviously corporative Debian but they don't want to admit it.

>steamOS
>He thinks linux use case is for videogames
Such a narrow perspective, do you even work? Get a load of reality, your use case is not what most of the people needs.

Normalfags aren't going to use Linux, ever
Let alone office normalfags

Normalfags can use Linux, office workers are hard because of outdated plaforms that still rely on trident based browsers and old java versions.
I've installed Fedora Silverblue on kid's laptops and seniors. Chromium-like devices are more likely to take over.

What do I use if I'm a white man, but NEET?

Attached: 1636045469148.png (117x128, 28.98K)

You also use Fedora

But it has GNOME and it's trash

Just get any spin you want
spins.fedoraproject.org/
Or download Fedora Everything and select it at install