/dmp/ - Digital Music Production

Janny deleted the previous thread for no reason. Really cool.

Previous A thread for discussing sound and music related technology. Feel free to post whatever you're working on, but no soundcloud links.

>Where do I start? What DAW should I use?
rentry.org/dmpdoc

>Where can I learn about using trackers?
resources.openmpt.org/tracker_handbook/handbook.htm

>Free Samples:
freepats.zenvoid.org/
freesound.org
vis.versilstudios.com/vsco-community.html

Attached: mix.jpg (640x480, 50.22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1641/99/1641996425742.jpg
rentry.org/dmpalbums
strawpoll.com/fq5cx5gqw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Janny deleted the previous thread for no reason.
you've had your fun, but this reddit general already exists on hit the road, jack!

how's the album going frens?

>Janny deleted the previous thread for no reason.
Probably because you're the /dmp/ schizo

>Any Forums makes a third album
Artist: Anonymous
Theme: Any Forums memes (optionally hip hop)
Title: REAL NI/g/g/AZ
Cover art: desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1641/99/1641996425742.jpg
Submission deadline: midnight between the 6th and the 7th of March (UTC)
Upload the file somewhere and post the link here.
If possible use a lossless format and upload to a file-sharing service, not to a music site like SoundCloud or Vocaroo.
IMPORTANT: Include the title of the song in the post, don't rely on us reading it from the filename or tags.
The theme won't be strictly enforced. It's preferrable to submit a song in-theme, but if it isn't it won't be excluded.

Previous Any Forums albums:
rentry.org/dmpalbums

>IMPORTANT
Vote on the theme for the 4th album
strawpoll.com/fq5cx5gqw
The poll closes at 15:15 UTC

Attached: 85185586 - GRN1.jpg (900x900, 113.1K)

what hardware do you use for producing?
what do you recommend?

Abject poverty setup:
>laptop with pirated software
>earbuds
>headphones

>earbuds
>headphones
isn't that a bit redundant?

- computer
- audio interface - get one of the focusrite red boxes (scarlet solo, 2i2, 2i4, etc.) or something similar
- some midi controller with keys - the one you should get depends on what shit you want, since some of them have knobs, pads, w/e else
- decent headphones, usually i see the sony mdr-7506 or audio technica m50x's recommended, i own both and they're good
- if you have the space and volume isn't an issue, also look into good studio monitor speakers

that's basically it, the rest just depends on what you want to make

Used to only have earbuds, now upgraded to headphones, still have the earbuds.

What would one need an audio interface for if all you got is headphones and some midi controller?

Low latency. It's highly disapointing when the bass drum arrives 100+ milliseconds after slapping your midi pad

- eventually you might want to record things, like from a mic, guitar, synth, etc.
- you'll get a fuckton of input lag if you're trying to play something using the midi controller and have it go into the daw, it gets frustrating. without using an audio interface and native asio drivers, you're probably gonna be using asio4all which has some latency and only allows one program (your daw) to handle any audio i/o

What this guy says except
>focusrite
I wont not recommend it, but cheaper brands like maudio or behringer will do just fine

>Janny deleted the previous thread for no reason. Really cool.
not surprised. they barely know how to use a computer. music software must look horrifying and confusing for them. it would need to look like discord or a pedophile website for them to understand what was going on.
kill yourself, thanks.
>get one of the focusrite
focusrite are dogshit.

what's wrong with focusrite?

Thanks, I thought audio interface matter only for actual audio signal and midi input lag is more of a CPU thing

What's the cheapest one should go for an interface if it's only for not having to use asio4all?

i've had to send back several of their products due to defects and then they tried to screw me on warranty. that's why they're dogshit. UK companies are absolute trash to deal with.

I think you just attract dogshit

Behringer makes cheap and decent audio interfaces. The um32 covers your basic needs and can be acquired for about 50$ / 40 euro. I am not sure if it comes with an asio driver, but we don't struggle with that bs on loonix :^)

>um32
um2, sorry

Thanks.
The um2 is a little more expensive than that, but the umc22 goes for around 40 euros