Transitioning from Python to C

What are some things I can do in C that will make me appreciate writing in C? I've been very productive in Python for a long time and I would like to learn C mainly for its insane interoperability with every other language and everything on a computer, and maybe I can start using it at work to make some things run faster. But I'm having trouble finding motivating projects and exercises to really get in to C. I wrote the fastest fibonacci number generator I could using C today, and boy was it fast. But is that it? What are some cool projects I can work on to really appreciate where C shines over Python?

Attached: c_vs_python.jpg (600x493, 68.99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/n64decomp/sm64
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

C is like Python where you get to rewrite the standard library for every program before you get to do anything useful.

This Basically there's no real reason to use C anymore unless you're working in an insanely memory constrained environment. Otherwise high level languages like Python are just fine and there's nothing C is useful for besides shaving off compute time and memory consumption but at an extremely high cost of development time.

>insanely memory constrained environment
or if you care about performance at all
sepples (aka C with classes, no templates faggot) is a happy medium

/thread
yeah just forget it OP, C is a meme language. The only languages worth learning now are Python, Javascript, Java, C# depending on your field

Attached: python_c_strengths.jpg (638x359, 31.37K)

how is it portable

python bit rots faster than C. every year they break compatibility with old scripts

python is for women
C is for big pp

>how is it portable
oddly enough, the portability of python is based on the portability of C, since the python interpreter is written in C it can be compiled on any machine with a C compiler. Also the Python standard library has utilities so that if you write a sys admin script in python on Unix it will work on Windows and vice versa, because their libraries first detect the OS and then fill in the needed system calls for whatever you need

>python bit rots faster than C. every year they break compatibility with old scripts
OP here, while there's some truth to this, this is not a motivating enough reason to keep going with C. I've maintained python code bases for years and yeah you just need to quickly scan through them and update them once in a while.

>python updates and deprecates old trash code
>its le heckin bit rotterino!!!!!!!11

Attached: autism_.png (1180x1071, 1.13M)

You haven't worked with python's decimals then, they break them just for shits and giggles.
It is orders of magnitudes faster though.
Read K&R, do some system programing.

C is used anywhere hardware is still relevant. They decompiled Super Mario 64 into C from its assembly, the hardware relevance being that C is the easiest language to build back code from, the hardware specific ASM being what the reversers were working with.
github.com/n64decomp/sm64
There are lots of pet projects for old video games that I'm interested in that are made in C.

Drivers are generally written in C, if you find some random hardware and want to add compatibility for it to the Linux kernel you'll write it in C. Going back to hardware, if you want to make some device that polls gyro, accel, temp, etc. data, you'll most likely be writing a small driver in C for that.

>complain about C being labor-intensive
>ignore python scripts and their need for constant refurbishment after the python trannydevs break shit every release

Attached: toofs.png (480x480, 143.27K)

I love using python for kernel development, it's just so portable and I'm so productive.

Bullshit, there are too many versions of python to be considered "portable"

All C needs is new compiler while Python needs a way to tell it's interpeter that it aint actually python but imbedded python! and make syntax slightly different so it wont accept python 2.4.56.2.7.72.37.735.423543 code

#include
nothing personnel, kid

>Basically there's no real reason to use C anymore unless you're working in an insanely memory constrained environment.
People thinking like you are the reason why websites run bad on CPUs that clock 3 billion times a second with 8 Billion bytes of system memory. We wouldn't NEED all this shit if programmers would be sensible with their programming choices instead of just shifting the work to the engineers who cram out ever more performance just for webshitters to claim free real estate every couple of years. This is madness, fucking webshitters.

Colossal waste of get

With c and c++ you can make compiled applications that normies can simply download and double click to use.

With python you can make scripts for fellow nerds to comment on and add codes of conduct on github

I’m pretty sure real concurrency is broken at a fundamental level in python because of GIL. Even java the retard proof language has busted concurrency. C11 and C++11 manage to be the most sane with concurrency compared to the higher level languages.

>What are some things I can do in C that will make me appreciate writing in C?
real work

If your work is not worth refurbishing then its not worth refurbishing:)