Are programming font ligatures cringe or based?

Are programming font ligatures cringe or based?

Attached: ligatures[1].png (1508x2652, 166.27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

practicaltypography.com/ligatures-in-programming-fonts-hell-no.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

they're fucking cringe
*periodt*

i cant read them normally and the people that i see use them are the types that jerk off to haskell and any sort of number theory

just why

Idk i guess they look kinda nifty, it's really nothing to write home about, not everything is a big enough deal to fit into the cringe-based dichotomy.

some of them look nice but most of them seem like a waste

No one knows what a ligature is. Stop posting, nerd.

it's soi for sure

Cringe.
They break with UTF-8.

practicaltypography.com/ligatures-in-programming-fonts-hell-no.html

picture as placeholder

Attached: nnn59wm48vd81.jpg (1080x1350, 236.51K)

some of them seem like they'd make code harder to read

Not taking any typography advice from a site that styles links like that

Not a fan, personally.

rather take an advice from a programmer, lawyer, writer and designer than from a basement dweller.

I'm a programmer, writer, and designer and I make 300k USD per year, and I say you're a fag and ligatures are based

What the fuck I'm reading?

>Suppose you’re looking at a code fragment that uses Unicode characters and see the symbol ≠
Why would you use an unicode character in the code?, it's a non sense and it's not valid in most languages.

Most modern languages allow unicode characters in identifier names.

Incredibly cringe. Non-ascii code is cringe. I can accept non-ascii characters being used alphabetically i.e. for names in non-English languages, but extending the ascii non-alphabet characters is retarded

>hurr what is APL
also adding Greek letters is extremely useful
like, it's fucking retarded Haskell uses backslash in place of lambda
Like sure, it can keep using it for ASCII support, but why not also support lambda with Unicode? fucking stupidity
you'd think the "math language" would make it easy to translate equations into code

Based. Everything that is done with beauty, precision and mastery is commendable.

I thought they were a waste of time but they are actually essential for me. I have dyslexia and things like extended code highlighting and code ligatures help me not get confused or mixed up about what is written on screen