/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Read the sticky: >GNU/Linux questions >Windows questions >PC building? >Programming questions >Good, cheap, laptops >Cheap electronics >Server questions >Buying headphones How to find/activate any version of Windows?
rentry.org/installwindows

Previous Thread:

Attached: stupid_question.jpg (1200x900, 90.8K)

fpbp
/thread

Can a fucked up graphics card cause start up/boot issues?
I had them with windows and I'm still getting them with mint.
It's an HPE Pavillion from 2010, and think I destroyed the gpu by leaving my usually pirated games running 24/7 when I was 16.
I replaced the PSU and it's still happening.

It's like a lawn mower, I have to keep starting it up until it finally just werks.
I'm just using it to watch pirate tv sites on my tv.

Attached: metaverse.jpg (306x334, 34.65K)

take out the GPU and see?
but intel F series cpu's and ryzen X series don't include a igpu.

Is there a way to make whatever images I download on my phone automatically shared with my PC, both windows and linux

is overclocking good for you?

Attached: R.jpg (850x478, 49.22K)

pretty sure you can just share a folder
otherwise you can use openmediavault

>HPE Pavillion from 2010
You're running a 12 year old motherboard. There's a high likelihood the caps are fucked or something else is fucked. You could limp on a bit longer if you cleaned the fans and heat sinks. You could also fuck things up while cleaning the fans and heat sinks. I love using old hardware but I also know you can't rely on 12 year old shit.

Time to plan your upgrade.

no tips for you

Most of the internet is no longer a refuge from real life and normalfags.
Where do I go now If I want to avoid this bullshit?

Join a cult.

offline of course, a library, an observatory, the park.

Chink moot soft-banned my entire ISP, I can't upload images or start threads.

Is there a way around this?

>Is there a way around this?
Ban evasion is banable offense.

Yeah sure it just costs $20

syncthing is your friend

If you want to game and save money, yeah.
If you just want o mess around, it's okay, I guess.
Otherwise, I'd say no.
Disclaimer: Last time I overclocked was around 2007, when I read in a magazine that you can buy a cheaper CPU, overclock it, and still have money to spend when you go on holiday.

I got softbanned also, I have no idea why. When I want to start a thread or upload an image, I use my mobile internet by making a wifi hotspot; after making a thread or uploading an image I go back to my regular net. It's a kludge, but it works.

Can someone give me a tl;dr on why someone would use kakoune? To me it looks like vim with less features.
I've seen people talk about using it and even preferring it to vim so "there's none lol" isn't an answer. I'm looking for genuine arguments for ever using it over vim/nvim.

Does Syncthing work well if you want to share a large folder of documents and images between 3 people who may need to edit those documents?

If not, is there a better solution that doesnt cost much?

Attached: 1644886092307.png (702x702, 496.48K)

Don't suppose anyone would know how hard it'd be to replace the display cable on an ASUS FX505GT?

Attached: 1642555349789.gif (444x250, 2.89M)

One of the many reasons I hate accepting acts of benevolence is because it almost always comes with some caveat or catch. Bullshit that ultimately renders the entire act pointless. If someone does something for you, they usually expect something back in return - even when they say they don't. If someone gives you something, there's either going to be some catch to it, or they'll want some kind of accommodation. If you don't return the favor, they'll be quick to throw it back in your face at a later date. "You have to do X or give me Y because remember the time I did/gave Z to you?"

TL;DR: I was given a laptop that a relative purchased for me, for school. The problem is that the relative has administrator access and I don't. When the computer was first being setup, the relative made his account first, ensuring that they would have admin privileges. I made mine after that so now I only have a local account. This is extremely annoying for when you want to download certain apps or change certain settings.

Is there any way I can change my account to gain admin access, or if not, circumvent admin access? I ran some Powershell commands as other anons suggested in the last thread and found out that both our accounts are Local. If I have a Local account, how come I don't have admin rights?

Attached: cross.jpg (125x101, 1.84K)

Did your relative buy you a laptop or did they buy themselves a laptop that you get to use?

>Is there any way I can change my account to gain admin access, or if not, circumvent admin access?
If your relative won't give you the admin password, then you'll have to reinstall Windows.

>work well
Syncthing copies files between computers. Each computer will have its own copy of the file. You will not be able to have 3 people working on the same file at the same time. You are going to have coordinate between yourselves as to who should be working on a file and how to avoid conflicting saves.

Just reinstall windows bro grab an iso flash it to an usb and reinstall
If the relative is a woman try using a linux bootable usb to bypass her windows login and snoop in her left-over files
Dont forget to keep us updated

Where can I find an LGA 1155 CPU for dirt cheap?

Attached: demon core.jpg (836x986, 576.66K)

The former, but every now and then the relative will use it. According to the Powershell commands, both our accounts are Local, but only the relative has admin access.
>If your relative won't give you the admin password, then you'll have to reinstall Windows.
If I do that, he'll know I messed with it if he uses it again. Other anons suggested that I download so that I'll still be able to make admin changes to the system (assuming this works).
But I was worried about potential storage issues from having two OSs on the same device. Also there's potential problem of dual booting issues. I was suggested to download Linux on a usb drive and then boot it up from there when I want to use it

>large folder
Depends on how large, but should work fine. I haven't had any issues with a few thousands of files, but I've never tried to scale to like hundreds of thousands or anything.
>between 3 people
Sure thing, many-to-many syncing is syncthing's specialty
>who may need to edit those documents
The only issue is if two people change a file, then that results in a conflict. Because syncthing operates on files atomically, it's not possible to "resolve" it in a built-in way; whoever gets a conflict will have to choose one file to overwrite it, and then optionally grab the backup that gets saved and manually re-incorporate the changes from the other.

If you're editing text then use git, it's much better. But for anything git can't handle well, like office documents, images, etc., anything other than plaintext, this is basically the best you can get.

40 bux on ebay isn't cheap enough?

>an usb
Really putting the "stupid" in the thread.

Try to find the hardware manual maybe

>The former, but every now and then the relative will use it.
ITYM the latter?