Can someone explain why system D is bad?

Can someone explain why system D is bad?

Attached: 1632685610333.jpg (828x508, 22.15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's that pic about? Child abuse is funny is it?

Yes...

first day off facebook, boomboom?

youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo

It is a tool from Redhat that is supposed to give Redhat more control about Linux.

my understand of the hatred towards it is that it does far too much and negates the idea behind the unix philosophy, "everything should have it's own purpose and only that purpose"

I don't think it's a massive issue since systemd works pretty well and generally is just fine, but much like a benevolant dictator it has the potential to turn to shit very quickly and increasingly there are less and less alternatives or places to run from it.

People don't like it because it has a lot of sprawl and touches a lot of things that normally would be covered by some other independent daemon. For example, you can manage all of your DNS through systemd-resolved instead of using bind. You can handle clock sync through systemd-timesyncd instead of using ntpd. You can use systemd-networkd instead of NetworkManager.

A lot of people don't like this because it doesn't follow the "UNIX philosophy" of "do one thing and do it well" but I think that's a poor argument. You can pick and choose what you want systemd to do, and it stays the hell out of your way. It's all a question of whether you want more-or-less a monolith running your operating system, or if you want to split it out into individual tools. In my opinion systemd lets you do both, but some people don't see it that way.

Linux kernel devs don't like systemd because they tend to make wide sweeping decisions that make their lives difficult and don't really seem interested in working together with the kernel people. Less of a technical issue and more of a people management issue.

>It is a tool from Redhat that is supposed to give Redhat more control about Linux.
Poettering is a gigantic prick, but I don't think this is an actual concern. Redhat are not Microsoft, they're not out to EEE every Linux distro.

god, i miss smoking and being cool

Sterilize yourself on the off chance you manage to attract someone.

It's not needed, it's not simpler than any other init system. It swallows other parts of the system. Linux used to have replaceable parts. The idea behind it was declarative init scripts.

Sounds ok, but it's not only an init system. That's the problem. It became so bad that most of the distros adopted it only because it's a pain to get rid of it. It is like cancer that growed and contaminated many parts of the system.

If it worked flawless there would be no problem but it doesn't. In the past it was buggy as fuck. Today it's just OK. There are simpler alternatives that are faster and easier to work with without all the unnecessary parts. For me the worst thing is that it made portability harder because systemd is linux only. It is an artificial dependency, because init is and should be only a program that manages startup of system services. Because of it is is harder to write programs that work both on Linux and BSD.

If it was only an declarative init system it would be ok. But it is not an init system. The problem with monolithic approach is that it is harder to innovate and replace other system parts with something that is truly better.

If you work with software professionally you probably know that the longer something exist the more hairy it becomes. The bigger the project the harder and more costly it is to develop and replace. You need to be backward compatible and make new features at the same time. It makes your system more bloated with time. Then after many years it's so horrible you need a huge rewrite - this is the pain point because the monolith is very hard to replace. If you choose to refactor it instead it will still be the same thing, just easier to work with but it won't become less bloated.

Times change and if you want to grow and innovate it's silly to skip to monolithic design. Linux will become like Windows. It will have some ugly parts that are a burden that can't be ridded of. There will be feature creep.

Linux users have this weird mental hangup where they think everything is perfect in the first software version they install and that everything goes to shit as soon as it updates or a replacement comes along.

What do you think about OP's image?

idc

It isn't but since it is newish it had to run the gamut of oops a cve when there were lesser tools that didn't have that problem.

It does everything differently than I'm used to and there are only some backwards compatibility scripts maintained by third parties. Like now you can't edit /etc/resolv.conf directly you have to do something through systemd. Used to running nscd? Fuck off we use systemd-resolved now. Logrotate? Useless now you have to invoke the proper journalctl commands. Cron is even being replaced.

Lol fucking idiot

Stop being such a moralfaggot, it's just a fucking image with text

Those digits say hot damn you got it right.

Yeah so explain why it's funny. And OP should explain why he chose it

P-put it out on me, user >~

It's not funny and it's really stupid, moreover it's pretty disturbing.

>Poettering is a gigantic prick, but I don't think this is an actual concern. Redhat are not Microsoft, they're not out to EEE every Linux distro.
lel
>refuses to check the digits
>claims that systemp is not EEE despite it being a textbook case of EEE
wewlad

>If you work with software professionally you probably know that the longer something exist the more hairy it becomes.
you mean, like initscripts? I have a RHEL6 (yes, really) server that I have to manage. Initscripts are flaky at best, and unreliable or even completely broken at worst. Turns out, running ps and checking if the output contains your process ID that was stored in /var/run is not entirely reliable. It feels like duct tape and chewing gum, except it's holding the whole OS together. systemd isn't perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than what we used to use.

nobody cares

Red Hat's upstream-first policy is incompatible with EEE.
you can't do Extend nor Extinguish when it's upstream.