Dear Linux users

Why did you drop windows ?

Attached: Windows OS Logos.png (730x269, 25.79K)

too much stuff on it that i cannot remove

Went Mac first, Mac and Linux for me. It’s nice to have a terminal that I can build stuff and use posix commands

why 98/98se were skipped?

Got molested in high school by my freetard professor at computer class years ago. I've been using free software and Loonix since then.

Attached: 1644789538354.jpg (1024x1024, 274.5K)

I want to pirate stuff fast without getting malware

The hard drive that I had Windows on died, and I honestly couldn't think of anything that would make it worth re-installing on a new drive. There's just no use-case for Windows at all so it naturally withered away on its own.

Everything was annoying to use, setting up a development environment was hell, no customizability without fucking around in the registry, no transparency or control over my own system, built in spyware, bloated code that runs slower than Linux, shitty anti features everywhere, and no tcpdump or similar cli utilities (or only retarded hacky ported versions). Why would I pay money for an OS that spies on me and does shit I don't know about when I can get one (that's meaureably better) for free that allows me to actually "own" my system?

I barely even know what windows is like nowadays, my last windows was win95 and I didn't use it that much.

Back then I was working with servers running ancient Red Hat and using it myself made testing code a lot easier. Nowadays I run Gentoo and haven't seen a reason to try windows again.

I've always sympathized with the idea of free software and I tried various distros on and off since about 2006.
When I saw the direction Microsoft were going with Windows 8 it became clear that it's only going to get worse from here, but using Linux still felt like a compromise.
It was around 2014 that I finally felt satisfied with the state of desktop Linux and decided to switch full time, when Windows 10 came out it only validated my decision.

I was sick of updates breaking shit and slowing my computer down.

because i'm free to do whatever the fuck i want with my computer

More and better controll over the system.

Attached: Forsworn_Paladin.jpg (1920x1406, 533.02K)

Too much bloat, idle CPU usage, forced updates.

Switched back to windows because I don't have 16 hours free time a day to install each program when something won't work.

It just annoys the hell out of me constantly and now they have ads built in? Like fuck that nonsense, in linux even when i dont like something like the desktop or the file browser or the way my system updates, i can go and change whatever i dont like.

Blue screens

these

the only real use case i have for windows is gayming which i don't do much
wine/proton has largely solved that too
office work can be done easily enough, formatting is slightly inconsistent from ms word docs but you can also just convert stuff to pdf

Am I the only one here that uses Windows, Mac and linux? They all have their pros & cons and certainly Microsoft and apple suck as companies but I dont get the hubub over this.

>be wintoddler
>free space in C: drive drops everyday
>3GB RAM usage on rest
>Edge icon shoved down my throat
>virus this, malware that
>no tabs on file explorer
>folder path separator is \ instead of /

>hear linux users brag about how much control they have over their system, how lightweight their system actually is
>decide to try it out

>systems have decent defaults
>utf8 everywhere by default
>good file explorers
>only need to type the name of a pacage to install it, no need to check if the website i'm downloading an .exe from is marked as a malware domain or something
>no need to "scan" and clean my computer from threats anymore
>file explorers have tabs, favs, dark mode AND ssh OOT
>bash syntax isn't cancer to learn, automating tasks with scripts is actually comfy
>use the terminal as much as i can
>find out about window managers
>dont care about the ricing but the workflow is insane, one key stroke on action
>install a keyboard based browser and ditch trannyfox
>block ads on the OS level with /etc/hosts
>automate tasks with crontab
>500MB RAM usage on rest
>batch convert videos to webms with ffmpeg and bash
>create big screenshot collages easily with ImageMagick

never looking back

Attached: mailicious_kid.gif (183x300, 1.08M)

had no real use for it anymore

It's hard to program on Windows. No compiler by default, and everything is closed-source.
Maybe BSD and GNU/Linux distros come with a compiler in the default install, and the better ones come with every tool you need to recompile the OS.

s/Maybe/Many

I'm still on spinning rust but using a hardware that is not very well supported on win7/8, so the loading times are fucking huge on Win10, even LTSC.
Linux has many issues, but none of em come even close to the pain that is the win10 loads.
Also i get much better OpenGL support because i have an AMD video chip

Actually this too, I'm so used to it I completely forgot.
It's not like there isn't malware for gnu/linux, but the overwhelming majority of malware you encounter is designed to run on Windows.

Feels good to be in control doesn't it

Because it does what it fucking wants and there's no stopping it. It will install Edge and will give you a pop up advertising it when you launch your usual browser. It will give you pop ups for system updates that you think you can disable, but the option is conveniently greyed-out. There will be adware shit you don't need but cannot remove. It will force you to do updates. The updates will break your config and revert your customisations and after the 5th time you'll just give up trying to change things. It will show you ads on the desktop and expect you to pay money for a licence. And it will only keep getting worse. Meanwhile, Linux already does 99% of what I want it to do and it keeps getting better.