/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>UPGRADE & BUILD ADVICE
Post build list or current specs including MONITOR: pcpartpicker.com/
Provide specific use cases (e.g. 4K editing, high FPS gaming)
State budget and region

>NEWS
R7 5800X3D (2Q2022)
Intel Arc desktop GPU (2Q2022)

>RECOMMENDED CPUs
HTPC(4K60)/Web Browsing: i3 10105
Budget Gaming: i3 12100
Gaming: i5 12400
Multicore: i7 12700

>RECOMMENDED GPU PERFORMANCE LEVEL
Budget 1080p: Used RX 480/580 4GB
1080p: RX 6600
1440p: RTX 3060 Ti LHR
2160p: RTX 3080 LHR

>RECOMMENDED RAM
2x 8GB DDR4 3200/3600 CL16

>RECOMMENDED COOLERS
linustechtips.com/topic/891730-cpu-cooler-performance-tier-list/

>RECOMMENDED PSUs
Gaming: 500-850W depending on GPU (aim for 50-75% at load)
cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

>RECOMMENDED SSDs
ADATA XPG Gammix S70 Blade (PCIe Gen4)
Budget: WD SN750 SE
ssd.borecraft.com/

>MOTHERBOARD INFO:
AM4 B550/X570 - CPU-less BIOS flash feature advisable if pairing with Zen 3
overclock.net/threads/vrm-on-the-new-am4-motherboards.1624051/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yPS3hj_K7EPT4RBWCyjdKNP56pnwDz-IgBc0975-FUg

>RECOMMENDED MONITORS
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=RzdbjX

Previous:

Attached: Screenshot_2021-03-16 ZeptoBars.png (1153x1153, 3.85M)

Other urls found in this thread:

gpucheck.com
pcpartpicker.com/list/Vs699r
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: lattepanda.png (1233x605, 557.65K)

Reposting since the last thread died.

Are there any sites that do GPU benchmarks at lower settings?
I have a 1080 and wanted to maybe get a 4k display but I have no idea how well it'd run games on it if I turn the settings down, every site I could find just uses completely maxed out graphics for their benchmarks which is useless to me since I'd only ever get like 30FPS like that.

Any cases with a fan speed controller, sd/microsd card reader, and more than 2 3.5" hard drive bays?

>gpucheck.com
I would do some cross checking before taking them as 100% accurate

no but poorfag youtubers in third world shitholes post videos of combinations of antiquated hardware running games while recording FPS

I'm hyped for ARC

>Are there any sites that do GPU benchmarks at lower settings?
There are articles about performance scaling for specific games. Be aware there's a lot of variation between games in how much performance you can claw back while still maintaining acceptable image quality. Sometimes it's a lot, like with Cyberpunk 2077. Sometimes it's almost nothing, which is the case with most console ports. Your best bet is to use upscaling of some type (you can use Unreal's built in TAAU in any Unreal game using ver 4.17 or later by editing an .ini, or add FSR to most games now if I understand correctly, although it's not as good as dev integration because it will scale the final image including UI elements) or simple resolution scaling.

Overall a 1080 is extremely weak for 4K. Most new games will be unplayable at native regardless of settings in my opinion, unless we're talking about extremely light games like Sifu.

I'm beginning to believe the drivers will be a shitshow. I can't imagine Intel abandoning big boy GPUs, because they're vital for high end computing, but the first gen is going to be interesting from an academic stand point only in my opinion.

Are AMD video cards actually worse than Nvidia cards or do people really think features like DLSS and better RT are worth it?

I need CUDA/NVENC and Tensor Cores along with proper OpenGL support. AMD cards still don't have a competitive answer to several of NVIDIA's features and API's. I only used a 980 Ti for like a year or so before it became screwed under load and switched to that second hand R9 290X I had laying around and I've been lamenting the inconveniences ever since. Not to say it isn't a good card, certainly better than my artifacting 280X.

Do I need a special sort of fan hub for 7k rpm fans?

The 5700 / XT was a disaster in terms of stability and bugs. Hard to know if it was hardware tolerances or drivers. RDNA2 seems better but in this thread I still see far more complaints about RDNA2 crashing than Ampere, despite Ampere having way, way more cards in the wild according to the steam survey (and considering the obvious predictions AMD would make about how many chips to produce; obviously they wouldn't plan to significantly outproduce their marketshare).

Overall you don't buy Radeon if the pricing is close between competing cards, especially because of the extra features like DLSS or NVenc on Geforce, but in the case of something like the 6600 vs the 3060 at current pricing, the 6600 being significantly cheaper both on a percentage basis and by an absolute dollar amount, it makes sense for most people to risk the instability, etc. At least in my opinion.

Using that site I get pic related for my 1080 on their Medium preset, so I guess I should be mostly fine, maybe, hopefully...

What makes it even worse is that Pascal doesn't support Integer Upscaling in Nvidia's drivers yet, so I can't even fall back on that.
I know it all kinda sucks but it is what it is, if GPU prices ever drop again that's the first thing I plan on upgrading.

Attached: 1631283182452.png (822x1059, 76.3K)

I've had a Powercolor Red Devil 5700XT for a few years now and its never given me 1 problem.

Is it "lottery" if drivers don't work? or is it with certain brands?

Do I need better RAM if I want to replace my 3700X with a 5800X?
Current kit is a 32gb CL15 3000mhz Crucial E-Die and I've seen reports of it running stable at 3500+mhz with decent timings as well.

Attached: crucial_ram.jpg (1280x720, 122.43K)

I should've bought a 3060 ti
how can I deal with regret bros

>no opengl support on windows since ever
>severe performance issues on directx11 games
>barebones technologies outside gaming
You must be insane to be sticking with AMD GPUs in the current year

by buying a real graphics card: an AMD 6800XT. And never look back.

Hello friends :)

I am getting a large bonus at work this year because business was good and I really want to invest in a good gaming computer. I have had my current PC for like 7 years and I want to build something that will last me another 5-7.

I have not however built a computer since 2009 and am retarded.

Could you people who are smarter and better than I critique this build please. I generally went for the best 'off the shelf' options in terms of reviews. Know that I can afford it but obviously don't want to overspend in a retarded way so if a component looks dumb let me know what you'd recommend instead.

Specific comments:
>Is the case good out of the box? Do I need to get addtl. case fans? I read this one's pretty solid
>I don't know shit about motherboards so let me know if that one's bad. Just need the wifi and the CPU / m.2 slot compatibility
>I may just go with the one 2TB SSD to start with. From what I understand no real value in going for the 980 in terms of speed for my use cases
>I know that monitor is a bit weird but really interested in going ultrawide and the size / resolution seem very cool to me. I honestly envision using one giant screen much like a multi monitor setup for productivity. Is this a good choice?

pcpartpicker.com/list/Vs699r

Thanks anons I love you :)

Attached: NewBuild.png (1929x801, 108.22K)

>ayyymd gpu
lololol

no wonder you are poor. You are absolutely shit with your money

Honestly that looks pretty solid, I'd get an aftermarket 3080 though

>Is it "lottery"
Seems to be. Which is why I feel the problems might have been hardware related instead of just software or firmware.

>Pascal doesn't support Integer Upscaling in Nvidia's drivers yet
Pretty bullshit, but I would think running fullscreen at 1920x1080 would be just fine. The game will fit its output to your 3840x2160 pixel grid, but admittedly it's not something I have experience with. As I understand it, Integer Scaling is more for pixel art type games.

>Do I need better RAM if I want to replace my 3700X with a 5800X?
No

>And never look back.
Yup, definitely keep the blinders on too.

Pretty sure you've posted this before. I wouldn't bother with a K CPU or a Z board unless you know you're going to be tweaking the CPU. SSDs are kind of lame for the price, when you could be getting the S70 Blade for not much more. Also the monitor is mediocre, especially for $1200, and doubly so considering the AW3423DW is launching at the end of March reportedly for $1300.

Why are you buying 2 separate outdated PCIe3 NVMe drives instead of one 4tb PCIe4 drive? If you are planning to install games on the 2tb and the OS on the 1tb then you are going to have leas performance than if you just used a single larger drive

Heh, GPU prices still dropping.

>Why are you buying 2 separate outdated PCIe3 NVMe drives instead of one 4tb PCIe4 drive?
Maybe he doesn't want to spend $500-$600 on a hard drive for fractions of a second off loading screen times

two nvme drives is just stupid and so are you