Is K&R good enough to get up and running in C? I've learned Java and Javascript in school...

Is K&R good enough to get up and running in C? I've learned Java and Javascript in school, so I have a fair amount of experience.

P.S. As much as I love the idea of writing once and running everywhere, pure OOP languages fucking suck.

Attached: 411ejyE8obL._SX377_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (379x499, 25.28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

odysee.com/@pbanks:2/c-from-beginner-to-expert-programming-tutorial:4
freedos.org/c/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You learn C (or any lang) by simply writing programs in that lang
Here is an exercise to get you started, write a program in C that reverses a string

it's ok, but the structure of the book is so insanely bad to follow, and quite amazing how this travesty ended up so popular. most of what's in it is still applicable but it fucking sucks.

#include

int main()
{
printf("shut the fuck up, nigger!");
return(0);
}

I only understanded C fully when i've learned assembly.
C is basically a tool to avoid write tons of assembly, so most of things you see in assembly applies on C.

>main not in a different line to easly grep to it
>return(0);

You're the nigger here.

>Any Forums NEET knows how to write a hello world program
Well done user

Compiling a program with the -O0 and -S flags to see the unoptimized ASM is a useful exercise

K&R is severely outdated, find a more modern C book and use cppreference.com (which also has a reference for C)

I've realized that, and that's what I did for most of Java and Python, but since this is my first time doing something with manual memory management I plan to at least skim the K&R sections on pointers and whatnot.
> return(0);
Come the fuck on man LOL.
Eh, the structure has been pretty good so far, and I've appreciated the history lessons in the introduction. I definitely know what you're talking about though, the book's style doesn't suit all programmers.
That's an interesting idea.

>Come the fuck on man LOL.
perfectly valid. seethe harder.

damn, it compiles. touché. i still hate it though.

Learning C must be considered a criminal activity.

>I've realized that, and that's what I did for most of Java and Python, but since this is my first time doing something with manual memory management I plan to at least skim the K&R sections on pointers and whatnot.
K&R is a great book, but it can't substitute the activity of writing code and making mistakes and recovering, so don't expect it to teach you much

odysee.com/@pbanks:2/c-from-beginner-to-expert-programming-tutorial:4

what about this?

No.
>freedos.org/c/
This is the best currently introduction guide to the modern C, don't be to scared of FreeDOS because he doesn't use any specific FreeDOS APIs till the end of the course and you can practice in any OS, in any editor.

Seeing is not scheming.

>>main not in a different line to easly grep to it
Not him, but i didn't get this. Can you give an example of correct main placement for grepping?

int
main()

>I've learned Java and Javascript in school
>pure OOP languages fucking suck
You're not nearly competent enough to make that claim.

That's the first time I've ever seen this type of style used. Are you trolling me user?

Is there any way to work with strings in C as easily as in Python? That’s literally the only thing stopping me from going from python to C. What is the best practice for working with many different string encodings in C

You've never cloned a repo in your life.

It's not as bad as people make it, once you drop the string append mindset. Work with it for a few months, and you'll be suprised at how easy working with strings is without all that extra stuff on top.