Let's talk learning tech

let's talk learning tech
is schooling for kids really the most optimal way to teach them? it just feels like childcare first and education second, especially for younger than 13 kids
surely having informal learning for the younger years followed by rigorous learning in the teenage years where information will actually be retained and more advanced concepts can be taught would be better

also it would be cool if there could be classes on how to interact socially for those who didn't get the memo

Attached: 1600281924166.jpg (1447x2047, 838.6K)

Education is so inherently political that any sort of technological solution to its failings is doomed to fail.

good thread

Attached: 1618479947202.png (770x680, 307.96K)

There's an amazing amount of pseudoscience in the educational process which sticks around due to a massive amount of tradition. For starters lectures are one of the least effective ways to learn and are also at the core of modern education.

>let's talk learning tech
People who really care will teach themselves.
It's always been this way.

Public school is literally state sponsored day care, higher education is day care for people under 30.
If you want your children to actually learn anything, you have to instill a love of learning in them early on, and teach them what they care about, or at least build up a case as to why they should care about arduous subject matter like higher order math and the quadratic formula.

nakadashi, marry

mary, mary

>People who really care will teach themselves
i guess that how 54% of people are somehow barely literate despite mostly finishing school somehow

Attached: 1235487374853873.jpg (656x74, 16.01K)

>lectures are one of the least effective ways to learn
Wrong. The accepted theory (as far as I recall) is that everyone has a preferred "learning style" and that there is no best or worst way to teach, only that some teaching style are more effective with some students than with others. I personally have trouble learning without a lecture.

US education is literally designed to make people hate learning.

I don't think the childcare part is ever going to change, parents need to have jobs and not have their kids roaming the streets or some shit. Maybe more outdoor class stuff would be nice, especially in our day and age where kids literally dont go outside on their own anymore.

but it's also a dichotomy because the early years are arguably the most crucial years for teaching foundations, and for identifying learning deficiencies.

I don't think lectures are inherently bad, but you also have to remember the audience. We're talking about ADHD ridden kids, which I'm sure lectures are not very effective for. Lectures are probably very effective for mature college students who give the respect that's due.

lectures are the best when something needs a demonstration or example, especially in math and science type stuff
i guess youtube videos achieve the same thing funnily enough
they are pointless when the lecturer is reading the textbook verbatim off the powerpoint

I say the opposite. I think the formal learning should happen when they're younger since that's when their brains are developing the most and they have the most neuroplasticity.

>We're talking about ADHD ridden kids,
Why are they ADHD though? Perhaps because they've never in their lives had to sit still for more than ten minutes? probably the best thing you could do for modern kids would be forcing them to sit quietly.

i think in some sciences its probably better to actually do it. like biology or chemistry, or physics, or astrology, or astrophysics, or computer science etc. etc.

i blame the parents. they let them sit on their asses watching tv shows and they end up with too much energy

Required reading

Attached: Deschooling_Society.jpg (240x407, 42.12K)

>computer science
i can only speak for comp sci, but i found repetition the best way of learning
i learnt in the lecture, then in the textbook, then from doing exercises
and then thats not even enough sometimes, with things like SQL that shit only becomes learned when its like second nature to bust out a query
the amount of people in my cohort that could not write any amount of SQL upon graduationg despite spending a semester on it is downright terrifying, and thats by far one of the simplest programming languages
i cannot count the number of people i had to carry in group projects

>Perhaps because they've never in their lives had to sit still for more than ten minutes

probably because the practice of all day mandatory public education is probably only a couple hundred years old at best.

Historically, kids were busy working jobs as soon as they were physically able. They have so much energy and health, so why not?

but nowadays obviously we know that humans absorb information like 75% better at a young age, like points out. It's entirely necessary to force kids to learn as much as they can before the opportunity is wasted.

How to teach children:
1) Read to them
2) teach them how to read
3) teach them basic math
4) guide towards other subjects if they show interest

That's it. All you have to do is teach them how to read and they can learn anything else. That plus basic math to get them started. They can learn advanced math on their own if they can read.

basadisimo