WebP desaturated colors

Why does WebP lossy conversion desaturate colors? Happens almost all the time even at -q 100 setting.

Attached: webp-logo.png (249x300, 11.53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVIF
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because its a shit fucking codec
use jpeg xl

Stop stripping the embedded sRGB color profile.

Because VP8 does chroma subsampling. You can see the same effect when converting a lossless format to something like JPEG. It's just one of the things lossy codecs do.

Seeing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to PNG. PNG uses lossless compression, while WebP is 'lossy'.

What this means is that for each year the WebP sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 2% quality, assuming you have SATA - it's about 3% on IDE, but only 1% on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting WebPs in about 2011, and if I try to view any of the pictures I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 100% quality, they just look like crap. The sharpness is terrible, the artifacts...well don't get me started. Some of those pictures have degraded down to 10% or even 5% quality. PNG images from the same period still look great, even if they weren't stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to PNG, you may not be able to see the difference now, but in a year or two, you'll be glad you did.

subsampling only affect an image once, once an image is subsampled, doing it again does nothing, this is not the cause

this should probably be updated, nobody uses IDE or (physical) SCSI anymore

You fucking idiot WebP also has a lossless mode made by the guy who's now leading the development of JPEG XL, and it compresses almost every image ~15-30% smaller than lossless PNGs. The only real drawback is PNG can be progressive, whereas WebP can't.

and then there's this guy
first day?

It sucks WebP can't do 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, it can ONLY do 4:2:0, at least in lossy mode.
I'm not even sure WebP can do actual 4:0:0 grayscale, either.

it's basically just the intra-frame coder from the vp8 video format, and 99.99% of video is 4:2:0
most jpegs are 4:2:0 as well, basically anything from a camera may as well be 4:2:0

the lossless mode is unfortunately still affected by rotational velocidensity and will start losing quality over time

VP8 is shit and only supports 8-bit

AVIF supports 12-bit, just use AVIF

non-free pig disgusting

AVIF is free and winning adoption everywhere instead of dead on arrival jpegxl garbage, stay mad faggot

oh my mistake i was thinking of HEIF

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVIF

Dude, how can you mistake a free AVIF format for HEVC patent encumbered royalty encumbered? Seriously

i forgot avif was a thing at all so just thought it was that apple/h265-based one

based generation loss schizo

I wish more sites used jpeg xl and stopped serving me fucking webp trash

>Webpenis
>Joint Penis Experts Group
Use PNG ffs, how much of a storagelet are you?