Could someone explain why getting more normalfags on Linux is a bad thing...

Could someone explain why getting more normalfags on Linux is a bad thing? I understand that pandering to normalfags typically dumbs down once niche products and cultures, but wouldn't there still be distros that appeal to advanced users while taking the good bits of normie distros? GNU/Linux is open source, so we aren't at the mercy of a single entity pandering to this or that group.

>More people use Linux due to good game support via Wine, greater stability and control, and little to no built in spyware.
>Vendors support Linux more, meaning more software and greater compatibility with hardware.
>Normies can have their normie distros, while geeks can put the good parts of the normie distros in their more advanced distros and leave the normie shit.
>Far fewer people are forced to use OSes they hate for work because vendors support Linux and most Linux programs work on many distros with different package managers.
>Everyone gets what they want and Microshit no longer has a near monopoly on the desktop OS market, therefore we don't have to pay their idiot tax by being second class citizens to Windows.

Because the community can always take matters into their own hands like they already do with Mint, Duvean, Artix, etc., why would an influx of disgruntled normies be any different?

Attached: external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg (640x972, 82.54K)

It's been thirty fucking years since kernel 0.1, I think we've found out. Linux didn't just pop into reality when you found it

>Could someone explain why getting more normalfags on Linux is a bad thing?
Normies cant into terminal.

Attached: 1644803155953.png (1600x1200, 507.43K)

>pandering to normalfags typically dumbs down once niche products
That is the answer to your question.
>while taking the good bits of normie distros
There wouldn't be any.
Your scenario basically boils down to "it might only ruin *some* distros instead of all of them!" which is still certainly not a positive outcome.

I was asking genuine question you smartass. I want Linux to be the best it can be for as many people as it can. Also, how do we know Linux based distros wouldn't have been more popular if Microsoft Windows hadn't gotten to the masses first?

There is no benefit to expanding the Linux market to normies
Much like telling newfriends to "lurk more" the purpose is that the newcomers need to learn how to fit in before they voice their opinions in a group. For Linux users, that means they need to learn how to use the terminal. Gatekeeping is a necessity for any community.

So why can't we have retard distros and elite distros? I'm still trying to understand why it would be so hard to just take the quality of life improvements from the theoretical normie distros and make them options for non-retard distros. What if someone works from home and needs particular software for work? Why should they have to use Windows on top of the software they're required to use, when they can contain that software in an OS that respects them more? If normies get the ability to do that, we do to. It seems like a win-win to me.

>GNU/Linux is open source, so we aren't at the mercy of a single entity
Really? Init systems are open source as well, but look how systemd cucked almost every distro. A single product made by a corporation is being widely adopted and then other software depends on it, so if you don't want some unexpected issues you don't really have a choice but use systemd.

What about Artix? Devuan?

there already is its called ubunto

Accommodating normalfags is well and good, but actively catering to them is retarded because the vast majority of them simply do not care about desktop OSes. They just want their Windows programs to work.

Meme undeveloped distros, going to die in a year or two.

thanks but I'm sticking with devuan

Attached: 1644805818876.gif (1080x1331, 727.24K)

There's no point in Devuan when you can use Debian with any init system you like.

yes, people absolutely need to lurk and learn before posting

but USING? OP is right, there's no reason to shit on kids using mint/manjaro besides elitism. the market share and amount of installs is small enough without actively chasing away noobs

The issue is that the normie desires and opinions outweigh the voices of the people the project was originally made for. Normal people have MacOS and windows. If they come to Linux they will begin to dumb down the operating system and create annoy norms that are hard to bypass. Do you know why windows has two setting menus and a register editing system. It is because Microsoft is trying to keep them boxed in because they know without strong boundaries for people who don't know what they are doing they will brick their computers. It also means more corporate spyware will come to Linux and more things will try to subvert the principles Linux was built on. It is much harder to root Linux because the kernel goes to great length to avoid that. Windows games tend to have root kits to make sure that people aren't cheating or trying to pirate. If games move to Linux those companies will want kernel support for those things and may get it. It also means more malware for the Linux community. The limited market size means that most viruses are aimed at other OSes, but as market share grows so do the viruses. I mean remember when Linus accidentally fucked up his steam install because he didn't read and now people using popOS can't uninstall their DE. This would be happening everywhere in Linux. I would rather the technical community be the ones deciding the norms in Linux because it is an OS made for them as opposed to everyone else who already have OS for themselves.

>Could someone explain why getting more normalfags on Linux is a bad thing?
Not just linux, pretty much anything that is not utter garbage can turn into shit when normalfags happen.
As other anons pointed out, there's nothing to gain for their retardation, they don't want to learn new things, they want everything dumbed down to their level.
Corporations make money out of normalfag wrangling, linux and free software does not and should not for moral and all of the technical reasons. The moral being you should not learn to self-hate by dealing with normalfags.
You don't need linux because it's mainstream, you need it because it gets the job done with much less hassle and every feature fagman shits you can do it yourself with a bit of ingenuity.

If you love normalfag wrangling so much, you should apply to a job in a company that will wrangle you much in the same way.

Linux is a kernel.

bro stop trying. besides, normies already use Linux or a hybrid-BSD, on their phones.

Android or iOS.

What's wrong? It's not the Linux flavor you prefer? No one cares OP

Attached: 1632510155686.png (1114x1214, 827.92K)

The more normies get on linux and use facebook the more facebook makes commits and feature additions to linux that hurt privacy until they eventually buy ubuntu and begin making their own kernel with botnet and anticheat rootkit built in, the clipper chip tpm, hard drive file inserting backdoors, and psp/ime isn't enough for them, they have to go further.
It's just a matter of time until it happens now. As more normies get on too, eventually the app store will split into more package managers with advertising malware in it

Attached: 1616309961857.png (1300x1036, 2.5M)

Yes we get it your pedantic. Your comment is literally a waste of time to read either add something to the conversation or don't say anything. Anyone with a brain knew what I was referencing.