Convince me to use Any Forumsentoo

why should I try source based distros?

>compiler optimizations
I don't have a single good computer to compile with, doesn't apply

>you can get binaries
1. doesn't that defeat the purpose of Gentoo?
2. how many packages are binary?
3. how well do they integrate with the rest of the system?

>reading/modifying source code
I don't know how to program very well so it doesn't apply either

Attached: gentoo.jpg (2556x1917, 675.7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dilfridge.blogspot.com/2021/09/experimental-binary-gentoo-package.html
dilfridge.blogspot.com/2021/09/experimental-binary-gentoo-package.html?m=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Convince me to use Any Forumsentoo
kys faggot

>convince me
No

you will be an expert after you watch the output of each `./configure` and `make` scroll by at 100 lines per second.

>convince me
do what the fuck you want, why should I have to convince you of anything

that aside, install gentoo

It's probably not for you but,
>optimizations
Meme, but might as well enable if compiling anyway.
>binaries
Actually a good thing. Gentoo makes customization very easy and source building is just a means to this end. Having binaries for the defaults should've already been a thing ages ago.

how many of them are there? I know you can get firefox and the kernel compiled, can I get coreutils, glibc, xorg and all the normie shit compiled or am I shit out of luck

>bioluminescent hands typed this

Some big packages have alternate -bin packages (firefox-bin, libreoffice-bin,, gentoo-kernel-bin) but if you actually want most packages as binaries there's the experimental binhost

If your USE choice match then it'll use the binhost's copy, if you customize something that doesn't match then it'll build instead giving you the best of both worlds.

dilfridge.blogspot.com/2021/09/experimental-binary-gentoo-package.html

I've heard about binhost actually, but I thought it was in beta?

in any case, I would probably give it a try as it would be nice to have some things optimized and others not.

A few packages that just download binaries during the build process are available for the few projects that either provide high-quality binaries or are just stupid long to compile, like firefox-bin, libreoffice-bin, rust-bin, and some others, and as you noted gentoo-kernel-bin. GCC and glibc don't have binaries, but outside of those many packages build fast enough.

People are experimenting with making public binhosts that actually provide proper binary packages (instead of build scripts that download binaries), and cover more of the repositories, but it's still work in progress: dilfridge.blogspot.com/2021/09/experimental-binary-gentoo-package.html?m=1

install it

reading on the Gentoo wiki, would these be the flags I want?
--getbinpkg (-g)
--getbinpkgonly (-G)

define fast enough. is it hours or minutes?

also, would it apply to my hardware which is like 2 cores AMD and a GPU that's really not built for gaming

>JESUS CHRIST, I KNOW KUNG-FU

Attached: youremakingmestay-murph.png (510x659, 440.95K)

Of the only few sane distributions, that do not include hundreds of bullshit incomprehensible systemd, free desktop, daemon dependency bullshit,
and as a plus it doesn't also ship with retarded packages that, yet, again no one but god would actually know what fucking purpose they serve.

How bad is Portage's cache bloat? Do you get double the bloat from the source cache and of the generated binary package?

>>compiler optimizations
The time you gain from those optimizations is will be less than the time you'll be spending on maintenance and compiling. They are more useful on low end hardware but compiling also takes longer on low end hardware. If you don't really have a specific use case that necessitates a source based distro or you simply like maintaining it using gentoo will simply be a waste of time for you.
t. ran gentoo as a daily driver for 5 years

fair

Its not bad. Just clean it out every now and again. You can turn it off but it's helpful to archive older packages for awhile because the repo jannys remove shit from repos too fast.

Gentoo is on the decline. I'm moving to Funtoo as soon as I get a free weekend to do it. There are too many reasons to list. Just know that google has their little paws in the project now and so do the same fags from Red Hat that you see everywhere cancer is spreading. systemd is pulled in by default on the OpenRC profile now. That's how bad things have gotten.

>systemd is pulled in by default on the OpenRC profile now
u wot

are you talking of udev/tmpfiles? do you really care that it's not a "does the same thing" eudev and a crappy incomplete shell script instead?

>systemd is pulled in by default on the OpenRC profile now.
Do people really go on to Any Forums just to lie?

Lots of stuff is like 5 mins per single core, a lot is less, some is more.
It's not as bad as you think, the coreutils and xorg are actually pretty small.

There is no reason at all. Install Linux Mint and be happy.

Avoids dependency hell because you can install multiple versions of the same dependencies.
Also allows you to easily patch stuff like the GTK thumbnail fixer because you're already compiling.

If neither of these matter to you then there's probably no reason to use it.

Gentoo is low maintenance as long as you aren't fucking around with things and keep up to date. Compile flags often include features that you may need but weren't compiled into the binary package on many other distros. Infinality support is a great example of this.
The speed benefits of complaining are just a cherry on top.

If you run gentoo with system specs of 5950x (or any 16+ core cpu) and 16GB+ of ram, its pretty worth it. If you however have an old thinkpad you will get more of compiling than actual work done.

>specific use case
>gentoo
What is your "specific use case" lmao.

USE="-systemd"
Weak fud, joo