/aig/ - Alternative ISA General

Welcome to /aig/ - New iceberg edition

ITT we discuss non-x86 ISAs from the past (6502, 68000, Alpha, Itanium, PA-RISC, PowerPC, SuperH, VAX, Z80, PDP-11), the present (ARM, MIPS, POWER, SPARC) and the future (RISC-V, OpenPOWER).

You can also ask here for more information. Don't forget to check out the wiki, by the way!

>WIKI:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki//aig/_Alternative_ISA_General

>Library:
mega.nz/file/0PplHSyL#eK_f2ZSc2f0E8_RLUGz9nVn40myXhyiRDMU_FhgO2wk

>user's Strawpoll:
strawpoll.com/py64hxj18

>OP pasta:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/AigOPmsg

Previous Thread:

Attached: 1644012844957.jpg (1580x2238, 772.08K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/RaptorCompSys/status/1471557492819771396
datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/arm-would-deprioritize-data-center-and-pc-markets-if-it-went-pulbic-claims-nvidia/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.17-MIPS
extremetech.com/computing/320815-mips-chinas-loongson-cpu-are-both-going-all-in-on-risc-v
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.17-StarFive
github.com/enjoy-digital/litex
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki//aig/_Alternative_ISA_General
eetimes.com/a-big-week-for-risc-v/
linuxgizmos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

News:
>POWER/PowerPC
Power10 not available to OpenPOWER members - twitter.com/RaptorCompSys/status/1471557492819771396

>ARM
Nvidia tries to sweettalk regulators - datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/arm-would-deprioritize-data-center-and-pc-markets-if-it-went-pulbic-claims-nvidia/

>MIPS
To understand the future (of routers) we have to go back in time - phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.17-MIPS
MIPSy Business - extremetech.com/computing/320815-mips-chinas-loongson-cpu-are-both-going-all-in-on-risc-v

>RISC-V
StarFive goes mainline - phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.17-StarFive

>Extra:
LiteX - github.com/enjoy-digital/litex

Attached: 1630387367765.png (1298x597, 41.88K)

dead general lol

Where did everyone go?

outside

I LOVE INSTRUCTION SET

Attached: 16546457745.jpg (210x240, 12.5K)

thanks for the bump, /qa/

Good to be back, I missed you guys.

>wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki//aig/_Alternative_ISA_General
This one is under continuous editing but is lacking in RISC. Anyone?

How about some news?
>A Big Week for RISC-V
eetimes.com/a-big-week-for-risc-v/
>Earlier this week, Intel announced it would join RISC-V International as a premier member. Intel Foundry Services (IFS) will embrace designs built on multiple ISAs in order to compete with foundry giants Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. and Samsung. Intel claims to be the only foundry offering IP optimized for x86, Arm and RISC-V.

I have two SPARC machines, Oracle/Sun SPARC T4-1 server (running gentoo and solaris 11) and Sun Blade 1000 workstation (running solaris 10 and openbsd). Pretty based machines, too bad Oracle is killing SPARC and Solaris slowly.

Attached: sunblade1000.jpg (1157x1496, 181.88K)

Based and SPARCpilled
What do you use them for?

what's a good, dirt cheap SBC that has at least a 486 cpu and decent io? (preferably raspi style header, but an LPT port may work too) need something not shit to run some custom automation software that will be written on top of dos

>486
>preferably raspi style header
>on top of dos
Just use a Pi Zero and emulation. That's as cheap and simple as it gets until you are ordering in four figure quantities.

it's a shame, this is one of the more interesting topics Any Forums has to offer

Who is currently making riscv cores.
Will Intel out-do them and create the premiere riscv CPUs?

>Argonaut ARC
a based RISC architecture. shame it's a jewed (((licensible IP core))) that's most often used in Intel ME botnet cores. i have some routers that run Linux on ARC cores
>who is currently making riscv cores
me. need to buy an FPGA or ten to run it on, the logic simulator's slow as fuck

>me. need to buy an FPGA or ten to run it on, the logic simulator's slow as fuck
I mean who is physically making them in a fab. someone is doing it.

bump, please don't let this thread die while I sleep

>that will be written on top of dos
The fuck? Why would you do this? At this point it's a better approach to write bare metal Rust or something for what you want to achieve, unless there are external constraints you're not telling.

>Who is currently making riscv cores.
Andes technologies and others.
>Will Intel out-do them and create the premiere riscv CPUs?
Hard to tell, they fumbled it when they had the chance with StrongARM.

>cheap SBC
Check out linuxgizmos.com/
They have a huge spreadsheet with data on SBCs.
>that has at least a 486 cpu
Just why??