Tablets where meant to be the peak of computing

Tablets where meant to be the peak of computing.
What went wrong? Nobody cares anymore outside of mindless consoomers.

Attached: 1637688550745.jpg (975x600, 37.1K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20120902072540/http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2000/nov00/tabletpcpr.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I wish there was a tablet with the polish and the ACTUAL DEDICATION TOWARDS THE TABLET FORMAT Apple has with their iPad, and the relative openness of Android.
Too bad Android tablets are just an afterthought for Google. And when even the developer themselves doesn't care about the OS, neither do the manufacturers and the developers which create the apps for them.

>Tablets where meant to be the peak of computing.
Where did you get this? I never saw anything implying tablets were supposed to be more than a practical replacement for paper.

>Where did you get this?
web.archive.org/web/20120902072540/http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2000/nov00/tabletpcpr.aspx

Tablets are small and elegant compared to laptops and have enough computing power for most things.
I didnt mean specificly for note taking but that aswell has been a selling point lately.
The tablet is the most elegant device for computing. But is still so lacking.
Things like file and media storage and manipulation is trash.
Even for corporate applications, who should be the prime target for actual developers, are always so problematic. It literally always feels like an afterthought.
Instant messaging is the only thing that is, I whould say, perfected.
I am underwellmed.

Android tablets are literally just blown up phones. There's such a retarded amount of white space in everything, even system apps. It's a mess, and stuff like this is something walled garden ecosystems don't have to worry about.
Personally, on anything but a desktop/laptop computer, I'd rather have an optimized walled garden than a more open but shitty one

They're sleek and feel futuristic, but they're pretty terrible for actually getting anything done even if you bolt on pens/keyboards/etc. There are some niche use cases where they make sense, but I don't think there was ever any chance of them replacing laptops (let alone desktops).

Desktops definetly no.
Not only they are a more than a decade of development behind, there will always be applications that need a lot of computing power that cant be contained in mobile devices.

>peak of computing or peak of comPOOOting?

Attached: soy.jpg (312x416, 20.62K)

They were meant to be the peak of what normies think computing is, and by all means they have achieved it.

As a general rule, if Apple makes the best version of something, it's probably a fundamentally retarded concept.

The interface is the issue. Tablets limit your gwam so they are useless for generating documents. You can't draw anything on a tablet you couldn't draw on a phone. The tablet is a passive device for taking in video content

>Tablets where meant to be the peak of computing.
How? They don't even have a keyboard.

Elegance, size and ease of interfacing.

Have a old HP slatebook android tablet that came with a keyboard/additional battery attachment. God i fucking loved that thing.
Wish there was a new version
Android is squandered potential. I believe google never pushed android into laptops/desktop just to avoid competition with thier buddies at Microsoft.

The good ones did have detachable keyboards.

>you couldn't draw anything on a tablet you couldn't draw on a phone
I think this is the worst take I've ever seen

>they are useless for generating documents
I disagree, I've written longer documents on a tablet. I use a folding keyboard for that, but still.

Phablets replaced them which are also starting to replace laptops due to how much RAM/storage you can chuck into them now. In fact flagship phablets completely obliterate most entry level laptops in terms of performance despite having a fraction of the cooling/power delivery. Coupled with things like cloud gaming and you basically have people that won't even buy a desktop computer anymore.

Attached: ce0704e1-1d11-40c4-9880-3476b5529790.1206052df55bc15d1d3b46dc04596df2.jpg (612x612, 33.85K)

this looks hedious
literally who would buy?

how could tablets have easier interfacing than typing on a physical keyboard?
not only does it not have a keyboard, in many situations you can only use one hand to type since you need the other to hold it.

Good tablets had keyboards

Attached: R (24).jpg (4104x3501, 1.09M)

plus it doesn't have a mouse. working with mouse buttons is much easier than using various touch gestures.

Good tablets also had USB ports for mice

Attached: R (25).jpg (668x623, 59.47K)

you cant feel the interface

Attached: 16554675745.png (1044x869, 441.33K)

theoretically a good concept but in reality it has too many drawbacks compared to a laptop.