Plex

>Can't change the aspect ratio
>Can't adjust the playback speed
It's shit.

Attached: 1635658011000.png (900x900, 11.84K)

use jellyfin

I never understood, why is everyone using Plex over Kodi with SMB?

fpbp

Plex offers the easiest and most comfortable way to watch shit right now across every device (better than any other platform or solution including Netflix and co.). Only downsides is the lack of a linux player (only pmp is available and it sucks) and obviously that it's proprietary software handling your "dirty laundry".
Currently testing the water with jellyfin but as it lacks support for major platforms like WebOS, tizen etc. (to be fair this is in development) it's not ready for my normalfag friends.
A bit sad but i gotta say jellyfin has come a long way and I'm confident that i can switch my server completely to it in 2-3 years. For the foreseeable future it's a good solution for anyone who is closer to the spectrum like me.

Plex has slowly been going downhill over the past few years. Their massive push for watching their dumbass "live tv" shit is infuriating. They remove features for absolutely no discernible reason.

I definitely got my moneys worth from my $75 lifetime pass but it's going to be a pain in the ass to switch. And I can't even find anything better

still don't understand what is it that Plex does better than the open source alternative like Kodi.

I think its only pro is live transcoding. Basically if your devices are capable of playing your videos, Plex is pointless

transcoding and cross platform support. Basically any video will play on any platform using whatever hardware decoder is available as the video is converted on the fly. Not to mention quality options and the ability to stream shit somewhat seamlessly over the internet without messing too much with VPNs and stuff.

I mostly just use plex as a frontend to a personal database managed by a program called Tiny Media Manager that scrapes metadata and renames files for me.

Attached: 20220206_163031.jpg (623x621, 46.93K)

It just works everywhere

>I mostly just use plex as a frontend to a personal database managed by a program called Tiny Media Manager that scrapes metadata and renames files for me.

Honestly that's all I need too, all it is for me is a nice app to play my home server full of media (and a few friends servers, which is nice)

Honestly the webapp is still decent, but the AppleTV app has been getting stripped of features for no good reason and it's extremely annoying.

so does Kodi while being completely free and open source while also being much more customizable and with lots of other features. I just share my media folder on my system with smb and access it from Kodi on my tv/phone. plus if you install some add-ons you can basically have your own piracy Netflix where you can just select a movie you want to watch and it will give you all the torrents for it and you can just choose and it will instantly play it.

plex automatically adds your native subtitles instead of trying to download new subtitles.

I don't really need all that much. If I need to do anything outside of just watching the movie or episode or whatever I'll open the file in vlc and do what I need to do there. I would be using kodi but for me, especially with shit I use all the time for leisure, convenience is key. Plex does that. I can see why it sucks for some use cases but it works fine enough for what it does. More than fine, really.

Yes but kodi doesn't do on the fly transcoding. Plex does. that's the key feature for me. Being able to play 4k blu ray remuxes on anything with a screen without having to cache transcoded files is nice.

Attached: 20220205_194728.png (400x476, 224.83K)

>I don't really need all that much
Hey, if it works for you then it works. I suspect you're like the vast majority of their users, otherwise they wouldn't be doing what they are now.

I've just been using it for 10+ years and their direction in the past few years has greatly irked me.

kodi UI is way too cluttered.

It's whatever you want; there are tons of themes that completely change it

I've tried a few. I couldn't find a decent one.

it makes you log in to watch your own tv shows and movies

>live transcoding
Jellyfin does it better.

as it should, and it's only a one time login anyway.
for me it's arctic zephyr reloaded

Attached: 1644748703307.png (1920x1080, 2.27M)

I don't care which does it better, I'm just pointing out why people use Plex over Kodi

>can't adjust playback speed
Are you one of those austic shits that need to watch everything at 1.5x speed to watch more?

Attached: 1643598848856.png (732x633, 206.25K)

No, I watch at 0.5x to really take in the cinematography.

based

Hey if you want to appreciate every single frame then who am I to say otherwise.

Attached: 1643717370128.jpg (720x720, 45.12K)

can it do both of those

I'm pointing out you can have live transcoding without going closed source.